PH COVID-19 cases exceeds 380,000; daily tally records 1,803 new cases

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 31, 2020   •   120

COVID-19 Testing

The Department of Health (DOH) on Saturday (October 31) recorded 1,803 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the country’s total tally to 380,729 with 42,462 active cases.

The total recovery count rose to 331,046 with the addition of 606 recoveries while the death toll climbed to 7,221 with 36 new deaths reported.

From the active cases, the Health Department reported that 83.2% of them are experiencing mild symptoms, 11.3% are asymptomatic while 3.5% and 1.9% are critical and severe cases.

Rizal recorded the highest number of new COVID-19 cases in cities and provinces with 97 new cases, followed by Davao City with 93 cases, and Quezon City with 86 cases.

Meanwhile the DOH said they removed 7 duplicates from the total case count where 3 were recovered cases. There were also 14 cases previously tagged as recovered but were reclassified as deaths.

The DOH also reported 12 labs were not able to submit their data to the COVID-19 Data Repository System (CDRS) on October 30, 2020. AAC

TAGS   

IATF to ban caroling during holiday season vs COVID-19 spread

Robie de Guzman   •   November 25, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) will ban the conduct of caroling during the holiday season to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), a government official said Wednesday.

“Sinabi na ng IATF yung caroling, talagang ipinagbabawal natin,” National Task Force Against COVID-19 and vaccine czar Carlito Galvez Jr. said in a public briefing.

The IATF has yet to release a resolution on the matter.

The Department of Health earlier said that singing loudly can spread the virus.

The government also reiterated its earlier call for the public to limit holiday celebrations to family members and to continue observing health safety protocols to curb virus transmission. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)

AFP sends medical teams to Davao City to boost efforts vs COVID-19

Robie de Guzman   •   November 25, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has deployed a medical contingent to Davao City to augment efforts against the spread of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and to increase the health system capability of the city.

The AFP Eastern Mindanao Command (EastMinCom) on Wednesday confirmed the arrival in the city of  the medical teams which are composed of doctors, nurses and corpsmen from the military Health Service Command.

LtGen. Jose Faustino Jr., commander of AFP EastMinCom, said they will provide billeting, security, and service support for the contingent during their deployment as Davao City is under the command’s area of responsibility.

The AFP sent medical teams after Davao City was classified as “restricted local government unit” due to the surge of COVID-19 cases in the area.

Faustino said the same medical contingent responded to Cebu when it recorded high number of coronavirus infections sometime in June to August.

“Together with the personnel from the AFP General Headquarters, Eastmincom marches forward in helping the government address the Covid-19 pandemic. We continue to provide troops in the frontlines with an unwavering passion to make sure that our forces are visible in every aspect of the health response,” he said.

Aside from providing medical support, AFP personnel will also assist in manning checkpoints, quarantine facilities and provide transportation facilities.

“Since day one, our troops have been manning the quarantine checkpoints, providing transportation services, and assisting quarantine facilities and will continue to do so to see to it that our medical frontliners are not alone in this battle,” Faustino said.

Faustino also said that the AFP has prepared standby teams to be deployed to other areas with high COVID-19 caseloads. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)

Oxford COVID-19 vaccine ‘highly effective’ based on trial

Aileen Cerrudo   •   November 24, 2020

The COVID-19 vaccine, developed by Oxford University and manufactured by pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca, is reported to be highly effective based on the late-stage trials.

Over 20,000 volunteers participated in the trials in Brazil and the United Kingdom (UK).

Based on the trial, the vaccine can provide an average efficacy of 70% protection against the virus.

Researchers also said its protection rate can scale up to 90% efficacy rate when given as a half dose, followed by a full dose at least one month apart.

They also considered the results a success, even though the vaccines developed by Pfizer and Moderna are reported to be 95 per cent and 94.5 percent effective respectively.

However, researchers said the vaccine developed by Oxford is more affordable and easier to ship across countries.

The UK government already pre-ordered 100 million doses of the Oxford vaccine. AstraZeneca said they will manufacture three billion doses by next year. AAC (with reports from Jovic Bermas)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.