Peter Co claims he gave P10-M to De Lima’s senatorial campaign

admin   •   October 11, 2016   •   2720

image_oct-11-2016_untv-news_peter-co

 

High-profile inmate Peter Co pinpointed Senator Leila De Lima’s former driver, Ronnie Dayan, as the one who collected his P10 million  contribution to the campaign of then Department of Justice secretary De Lima.

This was the center of Co’s testimony read by his legal counsel, Atty. Jose Gonzales.

“Dalawang beses akong nagbigay ng tig-limang milyon para tugunan ang hiling ni Senator De Lima na dating DOJ secretary. Binigay ko ang mga halaga na ito kay Hans Tan para maibigay kay Senator Leila De Lima na dating DOJ secretary sa parehong pagkakataon. Sinabihan na lang ako ni Hans Tan na ibigay na ang pera kay Ronnie Dayan.”

(I gave P5 million twice to respond to the request of Senator De Lima, who was then the DOJ Secretary. I gave the said amount to Hans Tan to be given to Sen. Leila De Lima who was the former secretary. In both instances, Hans Tan had told me to hand the money over to Ronnie Dayan instead.)

Also according to Co’s testimony, in March 2016, a certain “Jad” who is allegedly De Lima’s nephew demanded from him P5 million in exchange for the freedom of his relative  who was arrested for illegal drugs.

“Nakatanggap ako ng tawag at sinabi na hinuli daw ang aking pamangkin kasama ang kanyang asawa at 4 na tao pa. Nasa Bicutan daw at kung hindi ako magbibigay ng P5 million ay kakasuhan sila ng paglabag sa droga.”

(I received a call, and the caller said that my nephew, his wife and four others had been captured. They were in Bicutan. And if I did not give P5 million, violations of the Illegal Drugs Act will be charged against them.)

Co added that “Jad” took his four vehicles to be allegedly used for De Lima’s campaign.

On the other hand, former National Bureau of Investigation deputy director Rafael Ragos narrated how Dayan had talked to him and requested assistance in De Lima’s senatorial campaign.

“I had no choice but to say yes to Mr. Dayan because I know how close he is to Sec. De Lima.”

Here, Ragos detailed how he brought millions of pesos to the house of De Lima in Parañaque.

“On four occasions in January 2013, I also received money from Jovencio Jablen Jr, which he said came from the inmates. Mr. Jablen handed me P1 million, then handed me P300,000. Then, a few days later, two more delivers of P200,000. In sum, I received P1.7 million from Mr. Jablen which I delivered to Mr. Dayan on several occasions at the above mentioned house of Sec. De Lima,” Ragos said in his testimony.

Meanwhile, because of Dayan’s absence from the committee hearings over the NBP drug trade, the Lower House has ordered the capture of De Lima’s fomer driver, and his detention until he coordinates with the House Committee on Justice. — Nel Maribojoc | UNTV News & Rescue

De Lima says Ombudsman request for explanation on GCTA rules ‘highly irregular’

Robie de Guzman   •   September 10, 2019

Senator Leila de Lima (File photo by Joseph Vidal/Senate PRIB)

MANILA, Philippines – Detained Senator Leila de Lima on Tuesday said she finds the request of the Office of the Ombudsman to explain the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of the Republic Act 10592, which increased the good conduct time allowance given to inmates, as “highly irregular.”

In a statement, De Lima confirmed she has received the letter of the Ombudsman directing her to explain or clarify in writing the IRR of the GCTA law.

Ombudsman Samuel Martires earlier wrote a letter, a copy of which was released to the media, requesting De Lima and Mar Roxas to explain the implementing rules they drafted for RA 10592.

READ: Ombudsman seeks De Lima, Roxas clarification amid probe on GCTA rules

De Lima was the Justice Secretary while Roxas was the Interior and Local Government chief when the law was enacted in 2013.

Martires wanted De Lima and Roxas to explain why the IRR they drafted only disqualifies from benefitting from the law those who are recidivists, who have been convicted previously twice or more times of any crime and those who failed to surrender before a court after being summoned.

The Republic Act 10592, which expanded the GCTA stated in the Revised Penal Code, excludes recidivists, habitual delinquents, escapees and persons charged with heinous crimes from its coverage.

“In this regard, this (Ombudsman) Office requests the submission, within three days from receipt hereof, of a written explanation/clarification on why the foregoing provision in the IRR does not contain the same disqualifications as enumerated in the last paragraph of Article 29 of the Revised Penal Code, as amended by Section 1 of R.A. 10592,” the letter read.

But De Lima noted the opening of the letter, which says the Office of the Ombudsman has “opened a fact-finding investigation on alleged irregularities in the implementation of the GCTA law.”

“Am I to be treated here as a resource person, a respondent, or a probable respondent?” she asked.

“Is this a set-up for me and Sec. Mar into taking the fall for the Sanchez-Faeldon scandal with which we have nothing to do?” she added.

De Lima said she finds this development “highly irregular,” and that she will have to consult her lawyers on the matter.

The senator was referring to earlier reports that convicted rapist-murderer, ex-Calauan mayor Antonio Sanchez could be among the 11,000 convicts eligible for early release due to the new GCTA rule.

The news sparked public outrage and led to Sanchez’s aborted release, President Rodrigo Duterte’s dismissal of Nicanor Faeldon as Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) chief and the Ombudsman’s order to suspend several BuCor officials linked to the questionable application of the GCTA law.

A series of Senate hearing on the issue also revealed the purported ‘GCTA for sale’ and ‘hospital pass for sale’ at the national penitentiary.

The said schemes allegedly involving several BuCor executives purportedly allow moneyed inmates to get hospital referrals and other prison benefits on the basis of tampered medical record that would make it appear that they need to be transferred to less congested facilities for health reasons.

Ombudsman seeks De Lima, Roxas clarification amid probe on GCTA rules

Robie de Guzman   •   September 10, 2019

(L-R) former Interior Secretary Mar Roxas and Senator Leila de Lima

MANILA, Philippines – The Office of the Ombudsman has requested detained Senator Leila de Lima and former Interior Secretary Mar Roxas to explain or clarify in writing the implementing rules and regulations (IRR) that they drafted for the law which increased good conduct time allowance (GCTA) given to inmates.

Ombudsman Samuel Martires noted in his letter dated Sept. 6 that the Republic Act 10592 which expanded the GCTA excludes recidivists, habitual delinquents, escapees and persons charged with heinous crimes from its coverage.

Martires wants De Lima and Roxas to explain why the IRR they drafted only disqualifies the following from benefiting from the law:

  • an accused who is recidivist, as defined under Article 14 (9), Chapter III, Book 1 of the Revised Penal Code;
  • an accused who has been convicted previously twice or more than times of any crime; and
  • an accused who, upon being summoned for the execution of his sentence, has failed to surrender voluntarily before a court of law.

The Ombudsman requested De Lima and Roxas to submit a written explanation or clarification within three days on “why the foregoing provision in the IRR does not contain the same disqualifications as enumerated in the last paragraph of Article 29 of the Revised Penal Code.”

Earlier, Martires ordered the suspension of 27 Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) officials over the release of nearly 2,000 heinous crime convicts for good conduct credits. Said officers will be suspended for six months without pay for grave misconduct, gross neglect of duty and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of service.

Hontiveros, De Lima want Faeldon dismissal over release of convicts

Robie de Guzman   •   September 2, 2019

Bureau of Correction chief Nicanor Faeldon (second from right)

MANILA, Philippines – Opposition Senators Risa Hontiveros and Leila de Lima called on President Rodrigo Duterte to dismiss Bureau of Correction (BuCor) chief Nicanor Faeldon over the questionable application of the law which allows the early release of convicts based on “good conduct time.”

Hontiveros said Faeldon “does not deserve the trust of the Filipino people.”

Faeldon was embroiled in the controversy following media reports on the impending release of former Calauan, Laguna mayor Antonio Sanchez which was met with public outrage.

Sanchez was convicted in 1995 for the rape and murder of student Eileen Sarmenta and the murder of her friend, Allan Gomez. He was sentenced to seven terms of reclusion perpetua.

Faeldon has repeatedly denied any involvement in the looming release of Sanchez but Hontiveros pointed out that his signature appeared on Sanchez’s release order dated August 20.

“Faeldon looked at the Filipino people square in the face, and lied. That alone is reprehensible enough,” Hontiveros said in a statement issued on Sunday.

“But the fact that he effectively coddled an unrepentant convicted rapist and murderer, turned a blind eye to Sanchez’s crimes while he is in prison and lied to the public, is a gross violation of the oath of office that all civil servants take,” she added.

She also slammed Faeldon for releasing a number of Chinese drug traffickers despite the opposition of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA).

“And now Faeldon’s office allegedly released a number of Chinese drug traffickers despite the opposition of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) which described the decision as ‘not conforming to the process,’” she said.

Hontiveros noted that this is not the first time that Faeldon was involved in controversy in terms of handling critical positions.

She said that when Faeldon was the head of the Bureau of Customs, P6.4 billion worth of shabu from China slipped through Philippines ports and the “tara system” worsened.

“It seems that everywhere Faeldon goes, corruption and abuse of power follow,” Hontiveros said.

“But what is perhaps the greatest casualty of Faeldon’s gross incompetence and abuse of authority as BuCor chief is Republic Act 10592 which increases the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) that can be deducted from an inmate’s total prison term.”

“The measure is actually a good law consistent with the principles of restorative justice. But because of Sanchez and the release of several Chinese drug traffickers, Faeldon cast unnecessary doubts on the law, and placed in limbo the chance for a second life of many deserving inmates who have made great effort at repentance and rehabilitation,” she further stated.

She then urged President Duterte to immediately fire Faeldon, citing a provision of the law on GCTA which penalizes officials who violate it with imprisonment and perpetual disqualification from holding public office.

“Faeldon should be removed from public office and charged with the appropriate administrative and criminal cases,” she said.

“President Duterte should stop his practice of recycling questionable appointees from one department to another. The courtroom, where he should stand accused of obstructing justice and betraying the public interest, should be the last stop for the overly recycled and department-hopping Faeldon,” she added.

She also called for the overhauling of the BuCor, including its personnel and internal procedures, saying the country’s “struggling justice system cannot afford further damage” by people “who are only too willing to bend it.”

De Lima, for her part, blamed Duterte for the recycling of corrupt public officials.

“BuCor Director General Nicanor Faeldon is just one of several Duterte appointees who are seemingly untouchable in spite of the more than a whiff of corruption associated with them. I need not name the others,” De Lima said in a statement.

“Why can’t Mr. Duterte get rid of these incorrigible subalterns of his? Are they that indispensable? For what ends? What hold do they have on him?” she added.

Faeldon has been summoned to the Senate Monday to attend an inquiry into the application of the new GCTA rule.

Malacañang earlier said that the Duterte has yet to speak on the status of Faeldon amid calls for his dismissal from office.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.