Personalities on Cebu drug watch list file COCs for May polls
admin • April 18, 2018 • 3722
A local Comelec staff process the documents filed by a candidate for the Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Elections 2018
The Cebu Provincial Police office has identified a number of individuals on their drug watch list who filed for election in the May 14 polls.
Cebu Provincial Police Office Director Senior Supt. Edgar Alan Okubo, however, refused to reveal the names of the individuals.
Okubo instead reminds voters to be wise in choosing a leader for their community.
“We should not vote for them kung (if) we believe na (that) they are involved in a narco-politics,” said Okubo.
Meanwhile, the CPPO has recommended two barangays in Tuburan, Cebu to be included among election hot spots due to high-level of election-related violence in previous elections. Okubo, however, said they are still to revalidate reports.
“May mga patayan o ambush na nangyari (There have been incidents of killings or ambushes. So we will validate it well kung (if) it has the tendency to happen again,” the officer concluded. — UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Monday said it is not surprised by the move of the House of Representatives to approve the bill seeking to defer the 2020 Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) elections to December 5, 2022.
“This does not come as a surprise,” Comelec Spokesperson James Jimenez said in a message to reporters. “The COMELEC had, in fact, slowed down preparations for the Barangay Elections of 2020 in anticipation of this legislation.”
Jimenez said that with the impending approval of Congress on the measure, the poll body is now looking to focus on preparing for the next national and local elections.
“With the approval of the House and the looming decision of the Senate on the same matter, the COMELEC is looking forward to focusing on the process of re-starting the continuing registration and, in the longer term, preparing for the 2022 National and Local Elections,” he said.
Earlier in the day, the Lower House gave its nod to a proposal seeking to reschedule the local polls to allow more time for incumbent Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan officials to implement and complete their respective projects.
After the 2022 elections, subsequent barangay and SK elections will be held on the first Monday of December 2025 and every three years thereafter.
The amended version of the House bill is similar to the one that Senate passed on September 30.
President Rodrigo Duterte, during his fourth State of the Nation Address in July, called on Congress to postpone the village elections.
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has hailed Cebu City as one of the ‘creative cities’ in the world.
UNESCO has designated 66 new cities from around the globe in celebration of World Cities’ Day on October 31.
There are now a total of 246 members that joined the Organization’s Network of Creative Cities.
“All over the world, these cities, each in its way, make culture the pillar, not an accessory, of their strategy,” says UNESCO Director-General Audrey Azoulay. “This favors political and social innovation and is particularly important for the young generations.”
Cebu is the second city in the Philippines that has been designated as a creative city by UNESCO after Baguio City.—AAC
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the Philippine National Police (PNP) to stop its investigation on Clarin-Misamis Occidental Mayor David Navarro’s slay case.
Navarro was ambushed by armed men on his way to Cebu City Prosecutor’s office on board a police patrol car on October 25 for inquest proceedings on charges of alleged sexual assault.
He was on Duterte’s drug watchlist of narco-politicians.
The President said he wanted an impartial investigation that is why he ordered the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to handle the case instead.
Navarro was under police custody when the crime happened.
“Mas gusto ko ang NBI na lang…kasi noong nangyari iyan, kasama ang pulis (I prefer that the NBI [conduct the investigation] because when the incident happened, the police were there),” Duterte said.
“To make it really fair, I’d like to order the police to terminate their investigations and hand it to the NBI whatever documents and all proof or evidence that they have in their hands,” he added.
The Chief Executive said he had a conversation with Navarro several weeks before the ambush where the local official admitted to receiving death threats.
The PNP, for its part, assured that it is ready to heed the President’s order while the Department of Justice (DOJ) welcomes the President’s decision.
“Given the circumstances surrounding the killing of Clarin Mayor Navarro, the President’s directive for the NBI to take over the investigation of the incident should quell any doubts regarding this government’s commitment to solve the case and bring to account those responsible,” concluded DOJ Spokesperson Mark Perete. – MNP (with details from Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.