Peace panel awaits Duterte’s formal notice on termination of talks with Reds
admin • July 25, 2017 • 4513
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has already lost his patience in pursuing peace negotiations with the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army-National Democratic Front (CPP-NPA- NDF).
“So if you don’t want me, to talk to me, I do not want to talk to you, and I do not want you,” the president said in a press conference after his second State of the Nation (SONA) at the House of Representatives in Quezon City on Monday.
Government peace negotiating panel chair Secretary Silvestre Bello III said they are just waiting for the formal order of the president which will become the basis of their next step.
“There is an existing armed struggle between our government and their forces. That is the reason why we are talking — to end that. So we are hoping that during the talks, the level of violence will go down but apparently, it has yet to happen,” said Bello.
The peace negotiating panel added it will send a written termination notice to the communists once the president issues his final directive.
“The official termination will take effect 30 days after we cite them officially,” said Bello. But he clarified that they have to seek first final instructions from the president.
Despite this, Secretary Bello still hopes that the peace dialogue of the government with the leftists would soon resume.
“I have been in the process for more than 16 years and we have been into worst scenarios. So despite the order of the president, I’m still hoping that some favorable or positive development will come about that may revive the talks,” he said.
On the other hand, CPP founder Jose Maria “Joma” Sison said the president’s lack of interests is the real reason why the peace talks stalled.
In a statement, the communist group also pointed out the differences in the government’s and the leftists’ views on social, economic, and political reforms. — Aiko Miguel | UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte is open to listening to the public about their sentiments on the issue regarding the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) with the United States (US).
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said those who wish to voice out their opinions on whether the VFA should be abolished or not can send messages through the government hotline 8888.
“Kung nais ninyong marinig ang inyong boses tungkol dito, huwag po kayong mag-atubili, kayo po ay magpadala ng e-mail o mensahe o kung anuman doon sa mga linya ng ating mga ahensiya sa gobyerno para makarating po kay Presidente (If you want your voices to be heard, do not hesitate and send an email or message through government agency hotlines for it to reach the President),“ he said.
Duterte, during his public address on Wednesday (February 24), said he is still undecided on what to do. He previously demanded the US to pay if it wants the VFA to continue.
Meanwhile, Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff Lt.Gen. Cirilito Sobejana said the military will support the decision of the President but also said the Philippines should be able to defend itself without any assistance. -AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte is expected to witness in person the arrival of the Philippines’ very first batch of COVID-19 vaccines scheduled on Sunday (February 28) at the Villamor Airbase in Pasay City.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque confirmed in a message that the event on Monday is part of the President’s schedule.
He is expected to be joined by other government officials in welcoming the shipment of the much-awaited 600,000 doses of CoronaVac of the pharmaceutical firm Sinovac donated by China.
A total of 100,000 doses of the CoronaVac will be reserved for members of the military.
Once the vaccines arrive, the government is expected to kick-off the nationwide vaccine rollout on Monday (March 1) which will prioritize frontline health workers, uniformed personnel, and senior citizens among other sectors.
“It is a fine tradition between China and the Philippines to help each other in trying times. A friend in need is a friend indeed. The donation of vaccines is another testament to the solidarity as well as profound friendship and partnership between our two peoples and two countries,” Ambassador Huang said on Facebook.
“I want to thank all those who have worked so hard in order to make this happen! I hope the vaccines will help kick off Philippines’ mass inoculation campaign to curb the pandemic and allow Filipinos’ life to return to normal at the earliest,” he added.
Meanwhile in a post on Twitter, the Chinese Embassy refuted claims that Sinovac’s COVID-19 vaccine shouldn’t be given to health workers who have high exposure to positive cases.
The Embassy said the pharma company’s first trial inoculation on health workers in Brazil yielded positive results.
“Even under such extremely challenging conditions, the vaccine has show 100% protection to prevent fatal cases or severe cases that need hospitalization, 80% protection to prevent mild case which don’t need any medical intervention,” it said.
Thus, the Embassy said, “the Sinovac is good for medical workers with exposure to COVID-19.”
MANILA, Philippines — Four parents of the rescued Lumad children were taken by suspected communist militants, according to the Philippine National Police (PNP).
PNP chief PGen. Debold Sinas cited reports that the parents were supposed to meet with the police in Davao del Norte on Monday (February 22) for their trip to Cebu City However, only two parents showed up.
Reports also stated that the four Lumad parents were taken on Sunday (February 21) by suspected organizers of communist front groups who posed as police officers.
“Obviously, these four parents were lured into believing they would be meeting with their children in Cebu when they were taken by persons who disguised themselves as police officers,” Sinas said.
The PNP chief added that the said stunt was a desperate move of communist front organizations to get away from criminal liability of serious illegal detention and child exploitation.
Sinas also assured that police authorities are already exerting efforts to locate the parents.
The Ata Manobo children were among the 19 Lumad minors who were brought to Cebu City by communist front.
Reports indicate that the children were undergoing radicalization and revolutionary warfare indoctrination.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.