PDEA expresses dismay over possible release of convicted drug lords under GCTA
Marje Pelayo • September 6, 2019 • 826
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) has no list of names yet of the almost 2,000 convicts freed through the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) computation of the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor).
PDEA Director General Aaron Aquino believed the list included names of convicted drug lords and expressed dismay for their release.
“Talagang dismayado ang PDEA at nalulungkot lahat ng law enforcement agencies dahil sa tagal tagal ng pagpaplano namin para mahuli itong mga druglords na ito, para maconvict ay napakahabang panahon,” Aquino lamented.
(Our men in PDEA are disappointed and other law enforcement agencies are saddened because with the long period of time spent in planning just to capture, and leading these drug lords to conviction was a lengthy process.)
“Kung gaano iyan kahaba ay ganon naman kaiksi kung paano sila nakalaya, (The longer it took us (to convict them), the shorter it took them to get released.)
President Rodrigo Duterte has given the convicts 15 days to surrender but Aquino doubts that these drug lords will yield to authorities following their release.
“Pwede din kaming mag aresto kung hindi sila susuko (We may arrest them if they refuse to surrender). That’s why we are asking also the list from the Bureau of Corrections,” he said.
However, he believes it would be a big challenge to them to bring the convicts back behind bars considering the tedious process of investigation, surveillance, entrapment, raid and operations they went through to arrest the said drug lords.
The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) continues to prepare the New Bilibid Prison’s (NBP) coronavirus disease (COVID-19) quarantine area at Site Harry.
On Thursday (April 30), BuCor received medical supplies and other equipment from the ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross). The ICRC also renovated the isolation area for the Person’s Deprived of Liberty (PDL) who are exhibiting COVID-19-like symptoms.
The ICRC donated personal protective equipment (PPEs), beds and pillows.
The said isolation area was previously used as a work area for making handicrafts. The area can accommodate up to 100 PDLs.
“The families of the PDL in the NBP can be assured that there is now a comfortable facility that can accommodate their PDL loved ones in case of confinement in relation to COVID-19,” BuCor said in a statement. AAC
MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) reported on Tuesday (April 28) that two inmates at the Correctional Institute for Women (CIW) in Mandaluyong City have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
The facility’s first inmate to test positive for COVID-19 died on Monday (April 27). The administration of the facility has already reached out to the relatives of the 72-year-old patient and has contacted the hospital for the proper disposition of the patient’s remains.
The patient was hospitalized on April 13 after experiencing symptoms of pneumonia.
Her admission to the hospital prompted the contact tracing of several persons deprived of liberty (PDLs) with whom she had contact days before she was confined.
Meanwhile, the BuCor also reported that the CIW inmate who was admitted at East Avenue Medical Center last April 13, expired on April 21 because of sepsis, systemic lupus and pneumonia. She was later confirmed positive for COVID-19. The test was conducted on April 14, but the result only came out on April 27.
To date, BuCor has 50 confirmed cases of PDLs positive for COVID-19, three of whom have succumbed to the disease.
All cases are found at the National Bilibid Prisons (NBP) and the CIW, the BuCor said, while the rest of the penal facilities in the country remain free of the deadly virus.
MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) on Friday reported that two more persons deprived of liberty (PDL) in the Correctional Institute for Women in Mandaluyong City have tested positive for novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
BuCor said the two were part of the same batch tested earlier but their results were only released on Thursday.
The bureau said the COVID-19 positive patients will also be transferred to the quarantine area at the New Bilibid Prison in Muntinlupa City.
“They will join their colleagues at the NBP quarantine area (Site Harry) following strict transport protocols,” it said in a statement.
The latest cases bring to 22 the total number of individuals from the facility who contracted the viral disease.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.