PDEA chief insists magnetic lifters stuffed with shabu
Marje Pelayo • August 31, 2018 • 2644
Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) chief Aaron Aquino
QUEZON CITY, Philippines – Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) chief Aaron Aquino, who skipped the hearing two weeks ago, was compelled to attend the resumption of the House inquiry on the alleged P6.8B shabu smuggling on Thursday (August 30).
He insisted that the four magnetic lifters found in Cavite were stuffed with about a ton of “missing” methampetamine or “shabu”.
The containers were discovered a day after P2.4-B worth of shabu was seized in similar containers at the Manila International Container Port.
The containers tested negative for traces of illegal drugs but Aquino said the agency’s K9 unit who detected illegal substances on the lifters can never go wrong.
“I can challenge everyone here. Maglalagay ako ng isang karton dyan maglagay tayo ng bomb dog. Pag umupo ang bomb dog sino ang malakas ang magsabi na alugin ang kahon (I will bring a box in here and a bomb-sniffing dog. If the dog sits beside it, who among you is brave enough to shake the box and check)? If you don’t believe in K9 then do it,” dared Aquino.
Party-list solon Antonio Tinio is convinced that indeed, illegal drugs were stuffed into the magnetic lifters.
“Very clear na yung pagpasok nung mga magnetic ng dalawang batch ng magnetic lifter ay iisa lang ang mga responsable dyan kasi nga yung ang ebidensya iisa yung warehouse na destination dapat nung dalawang shipment na ito,” said Tinio (It is very clear that only one party is responsible for the two batches of magnetic lifters that came into the country because both shipments were addressed to the same warehouse).
The Bureau of Customs (BOC) presented the thermal image of the four magnetic lifters to prove that those were empty, saying it is not unusual to have hollow portions in the lifters which are designed for the copper wires.
On Wednesday, authorities filed charges against four suspects in connection with the P2.4-billion drug haul in Manila Port. – Cathy Maglalang | UNTV News & Rescue
About one kilogram of suspected shabu (cystal meth) with an estimated value of P7.1 million was seized by the police from a teen suspect in a buy-bust operation conducted in Caloocan City on Wednesday morning.
Authorities identified the suspect as 18-year old Jaymark Mercene, alias Mac-Mac/Kapre.
Operatives from the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO), Caloocan City Police and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) conducted the operation around 1 a.m. at a motel in Rizal Avenue in Caloocan.
NCRPO Regional Director Major General Guillermo Eleazar said they launched the operation after receiving confirmation that Mercene was inside the motel.
The buy-bust in Caloocan was a follow-up of a previous anti-drug operation conducted in Parañaque last week.
Eleazar said Mercene was allegedly a trusted accomplice of Edgardo Mongado Jr., who is said to be the head of a criminal gang operating in Metro Manila and nearby towns.
Recovered from Mercene were marked money and bags of shabu wrapped in Chinese tea bags, similar to those seized by authorities in previous anti-drug operations.
“Kami’y naniniwala na kasama ito doon sa batch na ipinasok doon na ngayon ay ating nakukuha. But you can just imagine kung ito ay napakarami na kumalat na sa iba’t ibang lugar natin,” Eleazar said.
The police official said they are now conducting a follow-up operation to trace the connections of the criminal gang.
Mercene will face charges for violating the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act. (with details from Asher Cadapan Jr.)
“May information nga na may binabagsak na malaking kalidad ng iligal drugs doon sa farm na iyon so nag-apply kami ng search warrant and good enough nag-positive may nakuha tayong 10 kilo ng shabu (We received information about high-quality illegal drugs being dropped off at that farm. So we applied a search warrant and good enough, we seized 10 kilos of shabu),” according to Batangas Provincial Director PCol. Edwin Quillates.
Quillates added that they have been monitoring the activity of Fernandez and have noted that he had been betting P300,000-P350,000 in cockfighting which drew their suspicions.
Authorities tracked that Fernandez does not have a visible source of income since he is only a farm caretaker.
During the search, authorities were also able to seize an unlicensed .45 caliber pistol and two pots of marijuana plant.
Quillates said they will continue their investigation to identify the suspect’s cohorts.—AAC (with reports from Sherwin Culubong)
MANILA, Philippines – Police seized P6.8 million worth of shabu from three drug suspects nabbed in a buy-bust operation in Manila on Monday.
The operation was conducted at past 1 a.m. along Osmeña Road and Vito Cruz Street in Manila by the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) Regional Drug Enforcement Unit, Manila Police District Station 6 and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency-NCR.
The suspects, identified as Rudy Kidlat, Mark Anthony Alcantara, and Rona Valenzuela, are allegedly connected to a Chinese criminal group operating in Metro Manila and Cavite province.
The suspects were placed under surveillance for more than a month, according to the NCRPO.
Authorities confiscated 1,000 grams of shabu and a vehicle allegedly used in the delivery of illegal drugs.
Arrested suspects will face charges for violation of the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.