Currency
    Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

    PCSO, PNP and LGU call for campaign against illegal gambling

    by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Friday, April 21st, 2017

    MANILA – The number of arrests conducted by the Philippine National Police (PNP) has increased by over 200% amid illegal gambling business operations in the country.

    This is after President Rodrigo Duterte ordered in January to intensify the fight against illegal gambling.

    In a consultative meeting with the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO)  and officials of the Local Government Units (LGU) yesterday, Police Senior Supt. Emmanuel Licup, the acting Executive Officer of the PNP Directorate for Operations, reported that most of the arrests were made during operations in Central Visayas and in Northern Mindanao.

    “Compared to 2016 of the same period, 251% of the confiscated cash and articles had been confiscated by the PNP regarding illegal gambling. The number of operations conducted from 2,746 is up to 4,938 or let’s say 80% increase,” PSSupt. Licup said.

    PCSO Chair Jose Jorge Corpuz said the government is losing a lot due to illegal gambling operations.

    The millions of unpaid taxes should have been allocated to health and social services.

    The official also calls on the public to report to the PNP any illegal gambling business entities in their areas.

    PNP meanwhile guarantees that enforcers who will be caught receiving “payola” to protect illegal gambling operations will be charged accordingly.

    “Once we receive a report, we immediately file cases against our personnel if there are such irregularities happening down in the police stations,” Corpuz said. — Joyce Balancio | UNTV News & Rescue

    Tags: , , , , , ,

    Leave a Reply

    Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

    PNP finalizes report to clarify issues of alleged extrajudicial killings in the country

    by UNTV   |   Posted on Friday, October 20th, 2017

    FILE PHOTO: National Headquarters of the Philippine National Police

    MANILA, Philippines — For the last time, the Philippine National Police (PNP) sought to clarify anew the issue of the alleged extrajudicial killings in the country.

    To do this, the PNP is completing now a report that would clarify the reasons behind the deaths of more than 10,000 drug suspects in various parts of the country, which critics claim, are state-sponsored killings.

    The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) has initially sought to conduct a similar probe, but President Rodrigo Duterte himself prohibited the plan.

    “How do we now know ngayon kung ano yung sinasabi nilang EJK? Kasi ang sa atin po ay ano yung krimen na naganap, pag may krimen na naganap sino ang perpetrator? State or non state? Ngayon isa pa, iniimbistigahan ba yan o hindi?”  said PNP PIO chief PCSupt. Dionardo Carlos.

    (How do we  know now what this EJK is that they are talking about? Because for us, it’s about the crime committed, and if it was committed, who was the perpetrator?State or non-state? Another one is, are these being investigated or not)

    According to the PNP, the thousands of deaths cannot be considered as extrajudicial killings or EJK since the cases are still under investigation.

    If a cop is proven involved in a killing, the PNP explained that it will fall under the category of murder and not EJK.

    For now, authorities have already resolved more than 6,000 cases of deaths, meaning these are already in courts, and the suspects are now facing charges.

    Through the said report, the public can know what happened behind the anti-illegal drugs operations of the PNP.

    “What we do is analyze what is happening and report, give out strategies give out this report to the public. We see no plot to cover up,” said the police.

    Meanwhile, the PNP will turn over death cases involving illegal drugs to the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA). — Mon Jocson | UNTV News & Rescue

     

    Tags: , , , , ,

    PNP-AKG readies new witnesses in Jee Ick Joo kidnap-slay case

    by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, October 17th, 2017

    Jee Ick Jook

     

    MANILA, Philippines – Some policemen who were part of the group behind the kidnapping of Jee Ick Joo have expressed willingness to testify in the killing of the Korean national.

    According to PNP Anti-Kidnapping Group (AKG) Director Glenn Dumlao, many should have been punished for the crime, but many of the suspects were able to go scot-free.

    Among them, Dumlao said, are the NBI operatives who are believed to have been involved in the crime.

    “Ginagawan namin ng paraan na mahagip pa yung iba eh kasi tatawa tawa lang yung iba dyan eh kung ano partisipasyon ng mga pnp suspects eh ganun din naman sila (We are trying to capture the others because some of them are sniggering, when in fact, whatever the PNP suspects’ participation was, they’re guilty of the same), he said.

    According to Dumlao, he was able to talk to the wife of Jee Ick Jook. He said the Korean’s wife is dismayed over the slow pace of the case.

    The PNP admitted not having strong evidence yet but noted their new witness could provide a big help in the case.

    The AKG previously filed charges against some policemen and NBI operatives, but the cases were dismissed due to lack of evidence.

    “It is now on our part on how we can gather evidence to give justice. Because I think those who are detained are now thinking, why only them?” PS/Supt. Glenn Dumlao said.

    Currently, the motion to post bail by SPO3 Ricky Sta. Isabel and P/Supt Rafael Dumlao are still being heard in court. – Mon Jocson | UNTV News & Rescue

    Tags: , , , , , ,

    Environmental group opposes waste incineration in the country

    by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, October 17th, 2017

    IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_101717_WASTE INCENERATION

    MANILA, Philippines – Environmental groups in the country joined forces to call on the government to uphold the ban on the waste incineration.

    They claim such move poses threat to public health especially to those living near the facility.

    They argued that it is better to just intensify the implementation of Republic Act 9003 which provides an Ecological Solid Waste Management Program to include recycling.

    “Lahat po ng mga incinirator facilities worldwide ay kilala na nageemit ng mga tinatawag nating cancer causing chemicals pati na rin yung mga ibang heavy metals at toxic substances,” said Von Hernandez of global coordinator of the Break Free From Plastic movement.

    The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) explained that in the past 17 years since RA 9003 was implemented, only 35% of local government units complied. And so, they moved to promote the waste-to-energy program.

    Usec. Jonas Leones said some LGU’s are now using technologies that converts waste to energy.

    “We are shooting with one stone. If we employ to energy we can address the garbage problem at the same time contribute sa mga power generation natin,” he said.

    According to DENR the country has no incineration plant yet but if they will be allowed to establish one, they assure to adapt technologies that will prevent pollution.

    The agency cited countries that use such program like Singapore, Japan and China.

    “Yung waste to energy na sinasabi natin ito yung di gumagamit ng sunog talaga yung apoy. So parang oven parang microwave,” Leones added.

    DENR clarified that the national government will act as a regulating body and no fund will be released in building waste to energy facilities. Instead, the cost of the project will be shouldered by the LGUs. – Rey Pelayo | UNTV News & Rescue

    Tags: , , ,