MANILA, Philippines — The Quezon City government on Monday confirmed that a case of Delta COVID-19 variant has been detected in the city.
In a statement, the local government said the patient is a 34-year old returning overseas Filipino who arrived from Saudi Arabia on June 24.
He stayed in a hotel in Makati for 10 days before transferring to another hotel in Manila from July 4 to 11.
The patient experienced a slightly itchy throat on June 28 and was tested for COVID-19 on June 30.
He was tagged as recovered and allowed to go home to his family on July 11.
The city government said the result of his sequenced sample was relayed to Quezon City Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (CESU) on Sunday evening, which prompted local authorities to re-test him and his close contacts on Monday.
He and his family have been under strict home quarantine, it added.
“He will undergo another swab test, along with his family, as part of our protocol even if he is considered a recovered patient. We are doing extensive contact tracing on his close contacts just to make sure,” CESU head Dr. Rolly Cruz said in the same statement.
Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte has assured the residents that “extensive measures” have been put in place in preparation for the possible spread of the Delta variant.
“We continue to exert all effort to contain its possible spread. What is important is that we are intensifying testing and aggressive contact tracing,” Belmonte said.
Meanwhile, the city government said it is also closely coordinating with another local government unit regarding the possible local transmission of the Delta variant.
CESU said it learned that a male who resides in another city but works in a factory in Quezon City contracted the COVID-19 variant. His pregnant wife also tested positive for COVID-19.
“CESU has been conducting contact tracing and swabbing at his place of work since Saturday. There are no reported cases yet at his place of work but we are doing this as a preventive measure to make sure we contain any possible transmission this early,” Dr. Cruz said.
The said factory worker experienced shortness of breathing, colds, fever, and sore throat on July 4. He tested positive the following day.
“He was admitted to the Philippine General Hospital on July 5 and was discharged on July 18,” the city government said.
“His wife, who was asymptomatic, was tested on July 8 and turned out positive the next day. She tested positive again on July 17,” it added.
The couple is currently staying at a quarantine facility in another city until the end of the month, the city government further said.
The Philippines has so far recorded 119 Delta variant cases.