Coconut tree plantation as captured by UNTV drone.
The Philippine Coconut Authority (PCA) has discovered that monitoring of permit for coco tree cutting activities in the country has become ineffective.
For this, a moratorium or the prohibition of cutting down coco trees will be in effect on January 3 and will last for three months.
PCA administrator Billy Andal said several PCA officials had been negligent in issuing cutting permits, mostly in Quezon Province.
“For example the 20 trees that they applied for cutting supposedly due to maturity, there is no actual checking if there are really cutting trees in the area. The permits were eventually used to cut other trees located in where they want to cut,” Andal said.
However, moratorium excludes areas devastated by the typhoon wherein, around 300 thousand coconut trees were damaged, such as in the Bicol area.
Areas infested by cocolisap are also not included under the memorandum for the reason that some trees need to be cut to control the infestation.
There are about 340 million coconut trees in the country and 20% of them are subject for cutting due to maturity. — Rey Pelayo | UNTV News and Rescue
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.