Pasig City reports one victim of stray bullet, seizes P700k worth of firecrackers

Marje Pelayo   •   January 4, 2021   •   797

MANILA, Philippines — Mayor Vico Sotto reported on Monday (January 4) that Pasig City was able to confiscate more than P700,000-worth of firecrackers and related items from the New Year’s Eve revelry.

Sotto added that based on their tally, only three individuals sustained firecracker-related injuries, the lowest number so far in the city’s history.

He, however, reported one stray bullet injury.

The Mayor said the Philippine National Police (PNP) believes the that the bullet may have come from somewhere in Pinagbuhatan in Pasig, Taytay or Cainta, based on its trajectory.

The victims are now confined at the Pasig City General Hospital.

In December, Metro Manila mayors agreed to impose a complete firecracker ban in welcoming the New Year.

READ: PNP confirms firecracker ban in NCR, warns violators

Despite the total ban, there are still reports of firecracker-related injuries in several areas of the region.

Given the results, Mayor Sotto suggests that the government should keep a close watch on the supply of firecrackers to minimize, if not to fully end, the risks of firecrackers to the safety and health of the people.

“Sa susunod na Bagong Taon, mas kailangan tutukan ang SUPPLY. Kung gusto talaga natin na walang firecrackers nationwide o kahit metro manila, kailangan wala ring mabibili ang mga tao. Maraming nahuli kagabi, pero ang totoo mahirap makipaghabulan,” he said.

Mga biktima ng paputok, umabot na sa 30 – DOH

Robie de Guzman   •   December 31, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Umakyat na sa 30 ang bilang ng mga biktima ng paputok sa buong bansa, ayon sa Department of Health (DOH).

Sa tala ng DOH, 25 sa mga ito ang gumamit ng iligal na paputok gaya ng boga, 5-star, piccolo at triangle.

Wala pang naitatalang kaso ng firecracker ingestion, nasawi dahil sa paputok at biktima ng ligaw na bala.

Ayon sa DOH, mas mataas ang bilang na ito ng 76% kumpara sa naitalang 17 kaso sa kaparehong petsa noong 2020.

Mas mababa naman ito kumpara sa 89 kasong naitala sa nakalipas na limang taon.

Patuloy naman ang panawagan ng DOH sa publiko na iwasan ang paputok at gumamit na lamang ng mga alternatibo at ligtas na paraan para sa selebrasyon sa pagpapalit ng taon.

Una nang nagbabala ang Philippine National Police na aarestuhin nila ang sinumang mahuhuling gumagamit ng iligal na paputok. (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Aiko Miguel)

PNP taps barangay officials on crackdown vs illegal firecracker use

Robie de Guzman   •   December 31, 2021

MANILA, PHILIPPINES — The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Friday said it will work with barangay officials and other village peacemakers for its crackdown against firecracker ban violators.

In a statement, the PNP said it will establish a clear and direct working relationship with barangay officials to apprehend those involved in the use of illegal firecrackers.

Police said this is in compliance with the directive of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) to crackdown on the manufacture, sale, and use of illegal fireworks and pyrotechnic devices to prevent firecracker-related injuries and fire incidents this year.

“The Barangay and local PNP units’ partnership will ensure that there is proper enforcement of local Executive Orders and a strong system of shared responsibility,” PNP chief Police General Dionardo Carlos said.

“Their presence can expand our monitoring deployment. They serve as our lookout in our blindspot areas,” he added.

Executive order (EO) 28, signed by President Rodrigo Duterte, provides for the regulation and control of the use of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices, the use of regulated firecrackers shall henceforth be confined to community fireworks displays.

The PNP said that under the EO 28 and the Republic Act 7183, violators will face a fine of P20,000-P30,000, imprisonment of six months to one year, cancellation of license and business permit, and confiscation of inventory stocks.

Police said local government units have the authority to impose a total prohibition on firecrackers this holiday season.

Some LGUs have already disclosed their intention to break away from the tradition and instead encouraged residents to use safe alternatives in the traditional celebration of the New Year.

Local orders have formalized and laid down the provisions, including the penalties for violators, the PNP noted.

DOH reminds public vs firecracker use as injuries rise to 25

Robie de Guzman   •   December 29, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday reminded the public to refrain from using prohibited firecrackers to prevent injuries during the holiday revelries.

The DOH issued the reminder as the number of firework-related injuries climbed to 25.

Citing the Firework-Related Injuries Surveillance Report as of December 29, the DOH said that injuries related to fireworks increased by 108% with 25 reported cases from December 21 to 29, compared to only 12 reported cases for the same period in 2020.

The agency noted that more than one-third (36%) of the cases were from Region VI (Western Visayas), followed by Region I (Ilocos Region), Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM), and National Capital Region (NCR) with 12% each.

“Most of the injuries were among minors aged 9 to 16 years old,” it said in a statement.

“While more than half of the cases were blast/burn injuries not requiring amputation, about 28% or 7 cases required amputation,” it added.

Prohibited firecrackers, such as Boga, 5-star, and Piccolo, accounted for the top causes of injuries, the DOH noted.

The agency advised the public to “put safety first and use alternatives to fireworks such as noise and light-producing devices like sound systems, bells, pans, or tambourines in order to prevent debilitating and life-threatening injuries.”

“The public may also opt to participate in community fireworks displays following minimum health protocols to prevent possible super spreader events for COVID-19,” the DOH said.

“Local government units are likewise encouraged to intensify the campaign on ‘Iwas Paputok’ and enforcement of Executive Order No. 28 series of 2017 Providing for the Regulation and Control of the Use of Firecrackers and Other Pyrotechnic Devices,” it added.

The DOH said it has declared Code White Alert among its hospitals since December 20, 2021, to ensure readiness to respond to any emergency situation.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.