Party-list groups with 2% of the total votes automatically enters Congress – Comelec
by Marje Pelayo | Posted on Wednesday, May 15th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – Aside from the winning representatives in each legislative district across the country, 61 congressional seats are available for party-list groups.
Commission on Elections (Comelec) Spokesperson Director James Jimenez said a total of 134 party-list groups vie for a House position in the recent midterm polls.
The leading party-list, based on the partial, unofficial count by the Parish Pastoral Council for Responsible Voting (PPCRV), is now the Anti-Crime and Terrorism Community and Support, Inc. (ACT-CIS).
As of Wednesday (May 15), the group has garnered more than 2.5 million votes.
Also hitting the one million mark are Bayan Muna Party-list and Ako-Bicol Party-list.
According to Comelec, there is no minimum to the number of members before a party-list could enter a nominee.
Likewise, members of the same clan are not barred from seeking a party-list position.
“Wala namang pagbabawal diyan. Ang importante (ay) nominee sila ng party list at sila ay lehitimong nominee,” explained Jimenez.
(There is no restriction when it comes to that matter. What’s important is, they must be the official or legitimate nominee of the party-list.)
Party-list system in the Philippines provides 3-seat ceiling to all nominees.
The Comelec said party-lists that received two percent of the total votes cast will automatically secure one seat in the Lower House.
The guaranteed one seat will be deducted from the total seats available.
The remaining seats will be distributed to the party-list groups that did not reach the minimum vote threshold. These groups may still have the chance for a congressional seat once the more popular parties have reached their limit of three seats.
“Magkakaroon ka ngayon sa situwasyon kung saan may mga party list organizations ka na magkakaroon ng seat kahit hindi sila umabot ng one million votes,” Jimenez said.
(There will be party-list organizations that may secure a seat despite not having one million votes.)
Jimenez argued that the party-list representation is significant especially for the marginalized sector who are not covered by the mandate of a legislative district representative. — (with details from Rey Pelayo) Marje Pelayo
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Friday, May 17th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) is hoping to complete the canvassing of votes on Saturday (May 18) for the immediate scheduling of the proclamation of winning senators and party-list groups in the 2019 midterm elections.
Comelec Spokesperson James Jimenez said in a press briefing that no final date of proclamation has been confirmed because the canvassing has yet to be finished.
“No invitations have been sent out yet. There might have been a verbal invitation of when the proclamation could happen at the earliest. It’s like a heads up,” he said. “There are still some matters to be settled.”
Jimenez also said that the poll body will proclaim winners of senatorial and party-list races simultaneously, saying the move is seen as more efficient.
“One of the directions that we are doing is one proclamation for both Senate and Party-list winners. So, it does take some time, magkasama. So hindi tayo pwedeng magmadali,” he said.
There have been calls for the suspension of the proclamation of winning national candidates over allegations of poll fraud and irregularities that cast doubts on the credibility of the midterm polls.
But Jimenez said on Wednesday that the proclamation of winning bets cannot be suspended based on unsupported allegations.
The Comelec, sitting as the National Board of Canvassers (NBOC), has so far canvassed 145 out of 167 certificates of canvass (COC), with 99.15 percent of election returns (ER) transmitted for canvassing.
This accounts to 85,044 out of the 85,769 ERs that the poll body should receive.
The latest partial and official results from the NBOC showed that reelectionist Senator Cynthia Villar continues to lead the senatorial race followed by Senator Grace Poe.
Rounding up the top 15 are Bong Go, Pia Cayetano, Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, Sonny Angara, Lito Lapid, Imee Marcos, Francis Tolentino, Koko Pimentel, Nancy Binay, Bong Revilla, Bam Aquino, JV Ejercito and Jinggoy Estrada.
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Friday, May 17th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – Supporters of the opposition group on Friday questioned the Commission on Elections (Comelec) on alleged anomalies in the May 13 midterm elections.
Members of Tindig Pilipinas and the Silent Majority gathered in front of the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City where the Comelec is canvassing votes for the senatorial and party-list elections.
The groups were protesting the technical glitches that were encountered during the polls, such as defective secure digital (SD) cards and vote-counting machines (VCM), as well as the seven-hour delay in transmitting data from Comelec’s transparency server.
Members of said cause-oriented groups, who were chanting “what happened to the midterm elections, Comelec?” repeatedly during their picket, were also demanding the poll body to explain the alleged irregularities that cast doubts on the credibility of the midterm polls.
They also sought to question the poll body for its alleged mishandling and inaction of supposed anomalies observed, including the designation of Nacionalista Party as the minority party, the disenfranchisement of voters, and the “blatant commission” of pre-campaign and campaign violations of some candidates such as electioneering and vote-buying.
by Marje Pelayo | Posted on Thursday, May 16th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – It took the Philippines 18 years before it finally applied the automated election system (AES) in 2010, the time when Benigno Aquino III was named the country’s 15th President.
The plan to fully automate the electoral process was raised in 1992 by then Commission on Election (Comelec) Chairman Christian Monsod during the term of then President Fidel Ramos.
Speaking to UNTV News, Monsod explained that the main purpose of automation was to expedite the election process and to make the job easier for the Commission.
“The vision is really to have the returns faster. It’s two – accuracy and speed. Those are the two objectives,” Monsod said on Thursday (May 16).
In 1996, the election in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) was declared a success.
It was then that the computerized election system in the country was pilot-tested using the technology provided by a U.S. company American Information System, Inc.
In December 1997, Republic Act 8436 or “An Act Authorizing the Commission on Elections to Use an Automated Election System in the May 11, 1998 National or Local Elections and in Subsequent National and Local Electoral Exercises, Providing Funds Therefor and for Other Purposes” was signed.
However, it was applied only to specific areas like Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi and not to the entire Philippines.
During the term of former President Joseph Estrada, poll automation did not push through.
In 2004, the administration of then president Gloria Arroyo awarded the P1.3B poll automation contract to Mega Pacific E-Solutions but the Supreme Court (SC) nullified the contract due to irregularities in the bidding process. A complaint against then Comelec Commissioner Benjamin Abalos Sr., other commissioners and executives of the Mega Pacific E-Solutions was filed in relation to the contract but the case did not prosper due to lack of probable cause.
It was in 2008 that Smartmatic-Sahi Joint Ventures entered a contract with Comelec as the provider of the Direct Recording Electronic (DRE) Technology while the Active Business Solutions Inc. and Avante International provided the Optical Mark Reader (OMR) Technology.
The said technologies were applied in the ARMM elections that time but several glitches manifested.
In 2009, the contract for the 2010 presidential elections was awarded to Smartmatic-TIM, the same technology provided tapped in the succeeding polls in 2013, 2016, and this year 2019.
This preference to Smartmatic raised doubts and questions to the credibility of the election process.
Senate President Vicente Sotto III, for one, suggests that Smartmatic must be replaced by a different technology provider.
“Matagal na noong January pa (ay) sinasabi ko na yan. Ang problema noong nag-privilege speech ako (ay) nakapag-award na ang COMELEC. Remember, kasi napakadaming problema,” Sotto said.
(I have been reminding them, ever since January. But then when I gave my privilege speech, Comelec already awarded [the contract]. Remember, there were many problems before.)
The recently concluded 2019 midterm polls was not spared from glitches and problems as many SD cards appeared defective and more vote counting machines malfunctioned as compared to the election in 2016.
But the poll body argues that it is only Smartmatic that passes their bidding requirements aside from the company’s experiences in the previous elections.
Comelec added that this year, not all election materials were provided by a single supplier which, according to the agency, justifies why there were defective supplies.
“In 2016, bundled ang aming bidding…Ngayon iba ang supplier ng makina, iba ang supplier ng SD cards, iba rin ang supplier ng papel at marking pens so doon ang nakita naming problema hindi masyadong nagma-match,” argued Comelec Chairman Sheriff Abas.
What the poll body is looking at this time is whether or not to still reuse the VCMs despite their service in the two consecutive elections. – (with details from Rey Pelayo) Marje Pelayo
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.