Parisians cautious as France looks to wind down confinement on May 11

UNTV News   •   April 29, 2020   •   299

Parisians were cautiously optimistic on Tuesday (April 28) as France is set to reveal its plans to unwind a six-week-old coronavirus lockdown, joining countries from Asia to the Americas looking to take advantage of falling infection rates to rescue their free-falling economies.

Prime Minister Edouard Philippe faces a delicate balancing act, keen to relieve the mounting frustration of people holed up in their homes since mid-March without heightening the risk of a second wave of infections if France moves too swiftly.

He will present the measures to parliament at 3 p.m. (1300 GMT), followed by a debate and vote in the early evening, with just 75 of the National Assembly’s 577 lawmakers sitting in the chamber to respect social distancing rules.

The global number of confirmed infections from the world’s worst pandemic in a century rose above 3 million this week. In France, the death toll passed 23,000 on Monday (April 27), the fourth highest behind the United States, Italy and Spain.

President Emmanuel Macron said earlier this month that a gradual loosening of the lockdown would begin on May 11, when schools and retailers would progressively reopen. Restaurants, cafes and cinemas will have to remain shut for longer, he said. (Reuters)

(Production: Clotaire Achi, Yiming Woo)

Mayor Isko discourages public from visiting Manila Bay Sands area amid pandemic

Robie de Guzman   •   September 21, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso on Monday called on the public to refrain from visiting the Manila Bay Sands area amid the continuing threat of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

Domagoso made the appeal after incidents of overcrowding during the opening of the Manila Bay Sands over the weekend.

A number of people who wanted to get a peek of the beach during its opening failed to observe physical distancing and many were seen not wearing face mask and face shield.

While understanding the excitement of the people for the project, Domagoso said the public should keep in mind that the threat of COVID-19 is still present.

“Alam ko po marami sa inyo nasisiyahan, nagagalak sapagkat ito’y kakaibang pangyayari. ‘Yong imposible naging posible. Ngunit, paalala ko pa rin na meron pang pandemya. Mayroong pa pong pangamba, panganib sa lungsod ng Maynila,” Mayor Isko said.

Moreno said that since the project has yet to be completed, the area will be closed to the public.

He also asked the city police to ramp up the security in the Manila Bay Sands and to stop people from staying or taking photos and videos of the area.

According to Manila Police Station 5 officer-in-charge Lt. Col. Alex Daniel, they have barricaded the entry points and posted at least 20 policemen to guard the area 24/7.

“Sa ngayong kino-close po natin itong lugar kung saan may proyekto po itong sa white sand so katulad kahapon medyo nalabag po sa ngayon iniiwasan po natin sa ngayon na magkaroon ulit ng ganun so may ginagawa po tayong guildelines sa pagbubukas po ulit nitong proyekto na ito para maayos po natin sa mga susunod na araw kung magbubukas po,” Daniel said.

Ermita Police station commander Police Lt. Col. Ariel Caramoan has been relieved from his post following the local police’s failure to maintain social distancing measures during the event.

Physical distancing is among the health protocols being implemented by authorities to curb the spread of COVID-19. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Dante Amento)

Duterte orders gov’t agencies to produce, distribute free face masks to poor Filipinos

Robie de Guzman   •   September 17, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has directed several government agencies to coordinate and pool their resources for the production and distribution of face masks amid the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

Under Memorandum Order No. 49 signed by Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea and issued Wednesday, Duterte directed the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) to lead other government agencies for the initiative.

These agencies include the Department of Health (DOH), Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA), Department of Budget and Management (DBM), Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), and the Presidential Management Staff (PMS).

Among the tasks of the DTI is to consolidate the efforts of micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSME) as well as cooperatives and community organizations for the production of face masks.

The DTI is also directed to support TESDA in gaining access to production networks and supplier markets for raw materials and finished products.

The DTI will also coordinate with the DOH to determine the minimum, most cost-efficient and good quality specifications to ensure that the face masks are effective in preventing the transmission of COVID-19.

The DBM will help in the procurement of face masks while the DSWD will be tapped to identify beneficiaries and distribute the government-procured masks to financially disadvantaged and persons with disability, as well as those enrolled under the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino program.

The PMS will monitor the distribution and consolidate a report to be submitted to the president.

Other government agencies and state-run companies were also directed to cooperate and support the program.

“It is imperative to reinforce non-pharmaceutical interventions, such as minimizing face-to-face interaction, wearing of face masks and face shields, and observing social distancing to complement our healthcare facilities and support our health workers in containing the further spread of the COVID-19 virus,” the memorandum read. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)

Pagtatalaga ng overseers sa mga lugar na may mataas na COVID-19 transmission, kinuwestiyon

Robie de Guzman   •   August 15, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Kinuwestiyon ng ilan ang ginawang pagtatalaga ng pamahalaan ng overseers o mga tagapagbantay sa mga lungsod sa Metro Manila at ilang lalawigan na may mataas na community transmission ng novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

Kabilang sa mga hindi pumabor sa hakbang si Dr. Anthony Leachon na dating special adviser ng National Task Force.

Aniya, medical experts ang kailangan ng mga lokal na pamahalaan upang gabayan ang kanilang mga plano kaugnay ng paglaban sa coronavirus pandemic.

“The LGUs need medical experts to guide them in the execution of their plans,” ani Leachon sa kanyang Twitter post.

Nagpahayag rin ng duda si Senator Nancy Binay sa hakbang na aniya ay tila hindi pinag-isipan ng pamahalaan.

Aniya, hindi tiyak kung may kapasidad ba o kakayanin pa ng Cabinet secretaries na gampanan ang dagdag na trabaho.

Kamakailan, itinalaga ang mga miyembro ng Inter-Agency Task Force, na karamihan ay mga miyembro ng gabinete ni Pangulong Duterte, bilang tagapag-bantay sa iba’t ibang lugar na may napapaulat na mataas na insidente ng hawahan ng COVID-19.

Kabilang sa mga lugar na ito ang 16 siyudad at isang munisipalidad sa Metro Manila, gayundin sa mga probinsiya ng Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna at Rizal.

Ngunit paglilinaw ng pamahalaan, layunin nito na tulungan ang mga lokal na opisyal na agad maaksyunan ang anumang suliraning kinakaharap kaugnay ng banta ng coronavirus disease.

Sinabi rin ni Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles na ang pagtatalaga ng overseers ay batay na rin sa karanasan ng pamahalaan sa pagpigil sa pagkalat ng COVID-19 sa Cebu City.

Matatandaang itinalaga ni Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte si Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu bilang overseer ng COVID-19 response ng pamahalaan sa Cebu City na noo’y napapaulat na may mataas na kaso ng nakakahawang sakit.

Ayon kay Nograles, naging matagumpay ang paghawak sa krisis sa Cebu dahil sa hakbang na ito.

“Because of the experience we’ve had with Cebu City wherein the President assigned Secretary Roy Cimatu, member of the IATF, to act as kumbaga overseer doon sa Cebu City,” ani Nograles.

Sa ngayon, nasa 153,660 na ang kabuuang kaso ng COVID-19 sa bansa; 71,405 sa mga ito ang gumaling sa sakit habang 2.442 naman ang nasawi. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Rosalie Coz)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.