Paolo Duterte to run for 1st District of Davao City

Marje Pelayo   •   October 12, 2018   •   3491

FILE PHOTO: Presidential son and former Davao City Vice-Mayor Paolo Duterte | PVI/Cerilo Ebrano

 

DAVAO CITY, Philippines – Former Vice Mayor and presidential son Paolo “Pulong” Duterte filed on Friday (October 12) his certificate of candidacy (COC) for a congressional seat in 2019 mid-term polls.

He was accompanied by his sister, Davao City Mayor Sarah Duterte-Carpio and brother-in-law Atty. Mans Carpio.

Pulong said his decision was a result of months of discussion within his family.

“Iyan ang napagdesisyonan namin ng pamilya sa ilang buwan naming pagpaplano ng politika. Iyon nga nadesisyonan namin na sa 1st District ako,” he explained.

The former vice mayor believes he still has the support if his constituents even after the controversy that surrounded his name that led to his resignation.

 “Of course nandyan naman lahat. Nandyan ang pamilya, nandyan ang mga supporters na tutulong sa atin kung bibigyan ng pagkakataon na maging congressman ng 1st district,” Pulong added.

Pulong said he is ready to face the challenge of being a lawmaker in the Lower House of Congress.

President Rodrigo Duterte in a previous interview admitted Paolo has not made any move to consult him on his political plans.

 “Frankly, I haven’t talked to my son for the longest time. He has his own family, maybe he finds few opportunities for me to talk to him. Alam mo naman ako, I commute Manila-Davao frequently and only because my residence is here…I expect him as a son to come to me and say, ‘Pa gusto kong tatakbo.’ Kasi alam mo, anak ko e,” the President said.

Paolo Duterte resigned in December 25, 2017 after he was implicated in the controversial P6.4B-worth of shabu shipment deal in the Bureau of Customs (BOC) and his inappropriate behavior on social media during a word war with his own daughter Isabelle.

Meanwhile, though she has not filed her candidacy yet, Davao Mayor Sarah Duterte confirmed she will seek reelection in 2019.

“Yes. I already announced a few weeks ago that I intend to run and be reelected as Mayor of Davao City…I feel na this is where I should be and this is where I can help best the administration of President Duterte,” the lady mayor said. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Janice Ingente)

Comelec cancels Edu Manzano’s bid for Congressional seat

Maris Federez   •   May 7, 2019

Former OMB Chairman Edu Manzano

MANILA, Philippines — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Monday canceled the Certificate of Candidacy (CoC) of actor Edu Manzano, who is running for a congressional seat for the lone district of San Juan City.

The 15-page Comelec Second Division decision reads that the poll body has granted the petition filed by Sophia Patricia Gil, a San Juan City resident, in November 2018 which claimed that Manzano misrepresented himself by declaring that he is a Filipino citizen when he filed his CoC for the May Midterm elections.

“Respondent is not a Filipino citizen at the time he filed his COC for a member of the House of Representatives for the lone district of San Juan City,” Comelec stated in its decision released on May 6.

It added that Manzano committed false material representation of his citizenship, prompting the poll body to cancel his COC.

Comelec said Manzano failed to re-acquire his Filipino citizenship at the time that he filed his COC in October last year.

Manzano lost his Filipino citizenship when he served as a member of the United States Army from 1973 to 1977, according to Section 1-4 of the Commonwealth Act (CA) No. 63.

Comelec explained that the “C.A. No. 63 is clear and explicit in stating that by rendering service to, or accepting commission in, the armed forces of a foreign country, a Filipino will lose his Philippine citizenship.”

Manzano became Makati vice mayor in 1998. He lost, however, when he took a mayoral bid in 2001. He had also run in the vice presidential and senatorial race in 2010 and 2016, respectively.

Comelec: Final list of candidates to be out in December

Marje Pelayo   •   October 18, 2018

MANILA, Philippines – The period of filing of certificates of candidacy (COC) for the 2019 mid-term elections has just concluded.

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) said they will immediately start the evaluation of the COCs as they need to screen thousands of them to include those from different parts of the country.

“We expect to have that information out by December…by tomorrow we expect na magdadatingan ang mga filing from different provinces so we will start the evaluation process right away. Pero since napakarami ng nag-file sa atin, we have thousands of COCs literally to go through. Again, by December, matatapos natin iyan,” said Comelec Spokesperson Director James Jimenez.

Overall, the poll body received a total of 152 COCs for the senatorial race and 185 certificates of nomination and acceptance (CONA) at the Comelec Main office in Manila.

Jimenez said generally the five-day period of filing the COCs was peaceful except for some problems like filers using the old version of the COC and the lax in security during the filing of former Special Assistant to the President Bong Go.

The poll body, however, clarified that there was no standoff.

“We investigated on the event for what happened, it turns out that there were other people who joined the entourage or the companions so it appeared that there were too many companions of one candidate when in fact these were companions drawn from various other candidacies,” Jimenez explained.

“I speak for the Commission comfortably and with confidence when I say that the Commission will always be fair and transparent in our dealings with the candidates,” he added.

The poll body also reminded all candidates that they can submit substitution for candidacy only until November 29, 2018.

“Ang voluntary withdrawal pwedeng samahan iyan ng substitution of candidate. Kailangan lamang, kapartido mo ang magsa-substitute para sa iyo. Hanggang November 29 iyan. After Novermber 29, involuntary withdrawal na lang ang allowed,” the Comelec spokesperson said.

The Comelec is expected to issue the final list by December 15, 2018.

The poll body also wants to make it clear that the campaign period for the senatorial candidates and party-list groups will be from February 12 to May 11, 2019.

Meanwhile, those running for a seat in the House of Representatives may only start campaigning on May 11, 2019.

In accordance with Resolution No. 10429, election period is set on January 13 until July 12, 2019 in which gun ban will also take effect.

Finally, election day will be on May 13, 2019, a Monday,

As always, the Comelec reminds the voting public to use their right to suffrage wisely.

“Hindi pa natin alam ang final list pero may idea na kayo kung sino ang dapat nating pag-aralan ang plataporma, ang ikinikilos sa gobyerno, sa pakikitungo sa tao. Dapat magdesisyon tayo ng tama para tama rin ang iboboto natin,” Jimenez concluded — Marje Pelayo (with reports from Aiko Miguel)

PNP to release list of election hotspots on October 17

Marje Pelayo   •   October 15, 2018

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) is set to release the list of election hotspots across the country on the last day of filing of certificate of candidacy (COC) on October 17.

PNP Chief Director General Oscar Albayalde, however, named five areas where incidents of election-related violence are perennial.

These are Abra, Masbate, Lanao, Zamboanga Del Norte and Zamboanga Del Sur.

Albayalde noted, however, that these areas are not the top five in the list because they are still finalizing their records.

“Ito iyong sinasabi natin na mga perrenial na andyan sa election watchlist areas (EWAs) na di nawawala tuwing election. Ilalabas natin ang final after the end of candidacy,” Albayalde said. – Lea Ylagan / Marje Pelayo

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.