Panelo: There is no transportation crisis, only traffic crisis
Aileen Cerrudo • October 11, 2019 • 916
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said Metro Manila is experiencing a traffic crisis and not a transportation crisis.
After accomplishing the commute challenge on Friday (October 11), Panelo reiterated his claim that there is no mass transportation crisis in Metro Manila. However, he said Metro Manila is facing a traffic crisis.
“Mayroong traffic crisis, hindi transportation crisis. When you say transportation crisis, wala kang sinasakyan, paralyzed ang buong traffic (There is a traffic crisis, not transportation crisis. When you say transportation crisis, there would be no transportation available, the whole traffic would be paralyzed),” he said during a press briefing.
The Palace official added that everyone is experiencing heavy traffic whether you commute or not. He also said that Filipinos can adapt to difficult situations.
“Tayong mga Pilipino (We Filipinos), we’re very creative. May problema tayo, hindi tayo nagngangangawa na pababayaan natin na lamunin tayo ng problema (we have problems but we do not whine and let our problems overpower us),” according to Panelo.
Panelo also mentioned there is a need for improvement in the infrastructure of the country.
“Tama iyong iniisip ni presidente, ang problema kasi sa atin, iyong infrastructure natin, we’re 20 years behind. So that’s why iyong kaniyang Build Build Build, iyon ang solution doon (The president was right, the problem is our infrastructure, we’re 20 years behind. So that’s why the Build Build Build [program] is the solution),” he said.
Meanwhile, Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) Secretary-General Renato Reyes Jr. said the commute challenge aims to call attention to the situation of transportation.
“Ang punto magkaroon ng empathy, malasakit at kilalanin na malala ang problema (The point is to have empathy and acknowledge the worsening problem). It is a mass transport crisis,” Reyes said.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz and Grace Casin)
Malacañang is not convinced that the Philippines has surpassed Indonesia in the number of confirmed cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
During a press briefing on Friday (August 7), Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the Philippines is conducting more COVID-19 tests which resulted in more confirmed cases.
“Ibig sabihin po dahil mas maigiting ang ating pagte-test hindi totoo na mas marami tayo kaso kaysa sa Indonesia. Hindi lamang nalalaman ng mga Indonesian kung sino-sino ang mga umiikot na mayroong sakit at least tayo alam kung sino po sila (It means we are conducting more tests. It is not true that we have more cases than Indonesia. The Indonesians don’t know who are sick at least, on our case, we know),” he said.
The Department of Health (DOH) has previously explained that the COVID-19 situation in the Philippines cannot be compared to other countries because of the population difference and health care system.
Meanwhile, Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año said no country can say they have been successful in their fight against COVID-19.
“No country could ever say they are successful. Look at Japan, look at Italy, even Vietnam, and Singapore,” he said. “We focus on what we are doing is appropriate, proper, and practical rather than everyday compare yourself.” -AAC (with reports from Joan Nano)
Consumers in Metro Manila flocked to grocery stores after President Rodrigo Duterte on Sunday night, approved the reversion of some areas to Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ) in response to the medical frontliners’ plea for a two-week “timeout”.
This prompted Malacañang on Monday to remind the public not to panic buy amid the implementation of MECQ in the National Capital Region (NCR).
“Walang dahilan para mag-panic buying. Supplies are high, delivered in supermarkets in anticipation of bigger demand prior to MECQ,” said Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque.
The Palace official reiterated that only essential establishments will remain open including supermarkets, banks, and hospitals. He also said that the “time out” will be used to strengthen the government’s testing, tracing, and treatment of COVID-19.
“This is primarily to accede to the demand of the frontliners for a break. A ‘time out,'” Roque said. AAC (with reports from Joan Nano)
The Duterte Administration assigned anti-COVID czars to intensify the country’s response against the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
The Malacañang admitted that the number of COVID-19 cases in the country continues to rise but it assured that the administration is still in control of the situation.
Presidential Spokesperson Secretary Harry Roque, Jr. introduced the four anti-COVID czars, namely, Secretary Vivencio Dizon as Chief Testing Czar, Baguio City Mayor Benjamin Magalong as Chief Tracing Czar, Public Works and Highways Secretary Mark Villar as Chief Isolation Czar, and Health Undersecretary Leopoldo Vega as Chief Treatment Czar.
Roque explained that all four anti-COVID czars will be directly under the National Task Force Against COVID-19 (NTF) led by Chief Implementer Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr.
“Mas malawakang targeted testing, mas maraming isolation centers, mas matinding tracing, at mas matinding treatment para sa mga nagkakasakit. Lahat po yan sa ilalim ng NTF, sa ilalim ng ating Chief Implementer Secretary Galvez (More extensive targeted testing, additional isolation centers, improved contact tracing, and better quality of treatment for patients. All of these will be under the NTF, under Chief Implementer Secretary Galvez),” Roque said.
Chief Testing Czar Secretary Dizon reported there are now 85 COVID-19 laboratories nationwide, with nearly 1 million tests done as of July 11. Daily tests as of July 9 reached 25,000, nearing the 30,000 daily tests target by end of the month.
For tracing, Chief Tracing Czar Mayor Magalong said they are seeking to intensify skills training for contact tracers and use a contact tracing e-system composed of a COVID-19 data collection tool, a GIS (geographical information system) platform, and a Link Analysis Tool.
Chief Isolation Czar Secretary Villar said they plan to construct more quarantine facilities nationwide. Aside from the existing 129 regional evacuation centers, they are also building quarantine facilities in Region 7, Region 8, Region 10, and in Region 12.
Meanwhile, Chief Treatment Czar Dr. Vega said expanding hospital capacity will be one of his priorities. He also introduced One Hospital Command which will be in charge of both public and private hospitals and quarantine facilities in terms of planning healthcare capacity among others.
Galvez also said the NTF will also focus on the economy and social recovery of the country.
“Nandito po tayo sa sitwasyon na dahan-dahan nating binubuksan ang ating ekonomiya. Bagaman nandito po ang threat ng virus, kailangan na nating i-recover ang ating mga ekonomiya para manumbalik po ang negosyo at trabaho ng ating mamamayan (We are in a situation where we are slowly opening our economy. Even though the threat of the virus is still there we still need our economy to recover so that businesses and jobs will reopen for our citizens),“ he said. –AAC
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.