Panelo: Charges vs Duterte before international court will not prosper
admin • October 10, 2016 • 4206
Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Atty. Salvador Panelo stressed that filing of a crime against humanity charge before the International Criminal Court (ICC) against President Rodrigo Duterte will not prosper. He said, it would be outrightly dismissed for lack of basis.
“No law, whether international or local, that President Duterte violated. What he is doing is in accordance with the Constitution as to what a president must do which is to care for the welfare of the people”, Panelo said.
He added that the move was just to destroy the reputation of the chief executive who has been waging war against criminality and illegal drugs.
“They are just aiming for the publicity because when you file the charge, the media will pick it up; the president’s image will again be attacked because of the complaint filed before the United Nations. So, far that is the only motive their, negative publicity against the president.”
It can be recalled that the lawyer of the self-confessed assassin Edgar Matobato is planning on filing the complaint before the ICC because of the series of killings that are happening in the country in relation to the president’s campaign against illegal drugs.
“Under the room statute of the International Court of Justice, murder, when done systematically and widespread manner, is a crime against humanity,” Panelo explained.
Attorney Jude Josue Sabio said that the president has no immunity from suit at the international tribunal .
He also added that based on Edgar Matobato’s statement, President Duterte has been engaging the same policy even when he was still mayor of Davao City.
Sabio said, if a team from the United Nations visits the Philippines to investigate the alleged series of extrajudicial killings, he will actively participate in the probe and present to the body his client Edgar Matobato. — Victor Cosare | UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte doesn’t want to heed his doctor’s advice to take a rest, Senator Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go said Wednesday.
Go, a former top aide of Duterte, said the president prefers to continue working and performing his official duties while he is staying in his hometown in Davao City.
“Sa totoo lang, ayaw magpahinga ng Pangulo, kahit sabihin mong he was advised by the doctor to rest,” he told reporters in Malacañang.
“Hindi po siya makatagal sa bahay at talagang gusto niyang magtrabaho at gumala,” he added.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo on Monday said the chief executive would go on a three-day break but later said he would just work from home in Davao City.
The Palace previously said the president’s doctor had advised him to limit his physical activity after he complained of “unbearable” pain in his spine following a minor motorcycle accident within the Malacañang complex on Oct. 16.
Duterte was in Japan to attend Emperor Naruhito’s enthronement ceremony when he complained of spinal ache and had to cut his trip short. After consultation with his doctor, Panelo said the president experienced a muscle spasm.
Go assured that Duterte is in good shape, adding that the chief executive is set to visit North Cotabato on Friday. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
President Rodrigo Duterte will attend the Association of Southeast Asian Nations-Republic of Korea (ASEAN-ROK) Commemorative Summit in South Korea from November 25 to 27.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo confirmed on Sunday (November 10) that the president will be attending the summit in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the dialogue partnership between the regional bloc and South Korea.
“He will push through with the trip,” Panelo said.
President Duterte and South Korean President Moon Jae-In are also expected to have a bilateral meeting to discuss trade and security issues.
The Philippines and South Korea have recently celebrated its 70th bilateral relations.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte is eyeing to ban the use of plastics in a bid to mitigate the effects of climate change, Malacañang said.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the president mentioned the idea during a discussion on climate change in a Cabinet meeting last Wednesday.
“The president floated the idea to ban the use of plastics, which according to him would require legislative action,” Panelo told reporters but said he is not sure if Duterte was referring to single-use plastics.
There are bills filed in Congress seeking to ban the use of single-use plastics that are currently pending at a committee level.
These measures seek to prohibit food establishments, stores, and markets from issuing single-use plastics, and task manufacturers to control the circulation and disposal of these materials. It also encourages consumers to instead use reusable or other alternative materials.
The Philippines has been listed in a 2015 report as one of the biggest sources of plastic leaking into the oceans, after China and Indonesia.
A recent study by Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives (GAIA) revealed that Filipinos use more than 163 million plastic sachet packets, 48 million shopping bags and 45 million thin film bags daily.
The organization extrapolated the data to calculate daily and yearly plastic usage throughout the country in order to provide new quantitative evidence about plastic pollution in the Philippines.
GAIA said that findings in the report show how cities and municipalities in the Philippines are struggling against plastic residuals despite efforts of many localities to institute Zero Waste programs.
With the projected increase in plastic production worldwide, including in the Philippines, the group said that national governments, as well as local government authorities need robust data and effective strategies to address the looming plastic pollution crisis.
It also called on manufacturers to regulate, and stop producing, single-use plastics.
“We would appreciate kung ang Pangulo will tell Congress na iprioritize nga itong bill on single-use plastic,” Beau Baconguis, an Asia Pacific Plastics Campaigner of GAIA said.
“Dapat hindi lang tignan as a waste disposal issue at waste management issue pero titingnan ang buong life cycle ng plastic at buong problemang kaakibat ng different stages ng production ng plastic,” Baconguis added.
The House of Representatives, for its part, assured it will continue to conduct inquiries on proposals to ban the use of plastics in the country.
“There will be a hearing before the committee level, all the stakeholders shall be heard, and ultimately we shall decide the course,” Cavite Fourth District Representative Elpidio Barzaga Jr., who chairs the House Committee on Natural Resources, said.
“The decision of the President will carry much weight in so far as the action of the House of representatives is concerned,” he added. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.