Palace says Duterte still pondering on attending ASEAN-US Summit

Aileen Cerrudo   •   January 23, 2020   •   355

President Rodrigo Duterte

Malacañang said President Rodrigo Duterte is still pondering on whether or not to attend the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the United States Summit in March.

In a press briefing, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the President expressed willingness to visit the United States, however the president is not sure whether his visa will be approved.

Panelo added Duterte might not want to visit the US since some US senators “would be unhappy to see him”. This is amid the resolution of banning the entry of Philippine officials involved in imprisoning former Senator Leila de Lima.

READ: Bato confirms his US visa has been canceled

The Palace official also clarified that the President is not enforcing conditions regarding his visit in the US.

“From what I look at his responses, gusto niya pumunta, iyan ang naisip ko, (he wants to visit, that’s what I think),” Panelo said. “[Duterte] just expressed certain sentiments relative to some issues that may affect his entry.”

Duterte has been previously invited by US President Donald Trump but he refused due to the extreme weather conditions in the US as well as the long-hour flight.

Panelo cited that the recent invitation was not a personal one so the President is still pondering on whether to accept the invitation or not.

READ: Trump invites Duterte, other ASEAN leaders for March Summit

“This one is an official invitation to all ASEAN leaders and there is a special summit,” he said.

Trump has invited Duterte and nine other ASEAN leaders for the US-ASEAN Summit in Las Vegas.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Detroit bus driver dies of COVID-19 days after posting rant vs coughing passenger

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 6, 2020

A bus driver in the United States (US) died 11 days after he posted a video on Facebook complaining about a coughing passenger.

50-year-old Detroit bus driver Jason Hargrove posted a video on March 21 recounting an incident where an woman in her late fifties coughed several times without covering her mouth.

“I feel violated, I feel violated for those folks that was on the bus when this happened,” he said on his video.

He also advised everyone watching the video to take the pandemic seriously.

He reiterated his anger to the old woman who coughed without covering her mouth saying it was those kinds of people who are not taking the situation seriously.

“This is real, I’m out here. We are all here. We are moving in this city back and forth, trying to do our jobs and be professional about what we do,” he said.

“We’re out here as public workers, doing our job, trying to make an honest living to take care of our families. But for you to get on the bus, and stand on the bus, and cough several times without covering up your mouth, and you know that we’re in the middle of a pandemic, that lets me know that some folks don’t care.”

A week after his Facebook rant, Hangrove, a father of six, died on April 1 due to complications from COVID-19.

His video has already been viewed more than half a million times. Netizens are also rallying for the frontliners amid the COVID-19 pandemic. AAC

Public need not worry about Duterte’s ‘shoot them dead’ warning vs quarantine violators — IATF

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 2, 2020

There is no need to worry about President Rodrigo Duterte’s ‘shoot them dead’ order against those who would disrupt the enhanced community quarantine, according to Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) Spokesperson Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles.

In a digital press conference on Thursday (April 2), Nograles said the public should remember that the country is facing a public health issue and not a peace and order issue.

“This is a public health concern. Let’s not complicate things by making it a peace and order problem. It’s already hard and difficult as it is. Let’s focus on one enemy, which is COVID-19,” he said.

The IATF Spokesperson said that despite the ceasefire with the rebel groups. the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) are prepared to take action if there is disorder.

“Hindi po papayag ang gobyerno na may manggugulo at may magti-take advantage sa situation na to (The government will not allow anyone who will cause chaos or take advantage of this situation),” Nograles said.

“Alam naman ng mga policemen natin, our AFP kung ano ang protocols pagdating sa peacekeeping and law enforcement (Our policemen, the AFP know the protocols when it comes to peacekeeping and law enforcement),” he added.

On Wednesday (April 1), Duterte warned that he will order the police and the AFP to shoot anyone who creates trouble. AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)

Duterte’s ‘shoot them dead’ order only aims to warn troublemakers —PNP

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 2, 2020

The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Thursday (April 2) said the ‘shoot them dead’ order of President Rodrigo Duterte was only a warning for lawless elements.

PNP Spokesperson PBGen. Bernard Banac said the PNP is not taking the order literally.

“Iyong pahayag ng Pangulo ay magsisilbing babala lalo na sa mga magtatangka na gumawa ng karahasan, tiyak na ang parusa ng batas ay ipapataw sa iyo (The President’s statement serves as a warning to those who will attempt to cause violence, you will certainly face punishment from the law),” he said.

Banac said law-abiding residents have nothing to worry about because the PNP is always ready to serve the people.

“Ang ating batas ay nariyan para sa kabutihan ng lahat. At sinoman na lalabag ay mananagot sa batas. Ang PNP naman ay tagapagpatupad. Wala naman po dapat ipangamba dahil ang PNP ay kakampi at maglilingkod sa inyo (Our law is here for the good of everyone. And anyone who will violate the law will be accountable. The PNP implements the law. There is no need to worry because the PNP is an ally and will serve you),” Banac said.-AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.