Palace says Duterte can declare martial law if terrorism reaches Metro Manila

Aileen Cerrudo   •   July 18, 2019   •   1085

Malacañang said President Rodrigo Duterte can declare martial law if terrorism reaches Metro Manila.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the chief executive expressed concern about the recent suicide bombing which led to the death of eight individuals including one Filipino suicide bomber in Indanan, Sulu.

“Iyon nga ang kinakatakot niya kasi may suicide bomber na. (That’s what he feared, there is already a suicide bomber). He’s very concerned of that. Kaya hindi ba nag-warning siya sa enemies of the state, (so he warned the enemies of the state) ‘Don’t force my hand into it. I will not allow the disintegration of this country,’ ” he said.

“Kaya nga hindi ba don’t force me to the wall. Kapag hindi kayo tumigil, (So don’t force me to the wall. If you do not stop) I’ll be compelled to use powers granted to me by the Constitution, lalong lalo pa iyong terorismo makarating dito sa Maynila (especially if terrorism reaches here in Metro Manila),” he said.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Duterte warns water concessionaires: I will order the AFP to take over

Aileen Cerrudo   •   December 13, 2019

President Rodrigo Duterte

President Rodrigo Duterte has warned Maynilad and Manila Water that he will order the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) to take over water distribution operations.

“I will order the Armed Forces to operate the water, ‘Sige, sundalo, take over kayo’ (Soldiers, go take over). And I will declare the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus but only against economic sabotage,” he said during the birthday celebration of former Senator Manny Villar on Thursday (December 12).

The Chief Executive has previously threatened the two water concessionaires with “economic sabotage” due to alleged irregular water deals.

In a letter, the two companies revoked their compensation claims prompting the government to pay almost P11 billion, as ordered by an attribution court in Singapore.

They have also offered to revisit the contracts in order to come up with possible amendments.

However, Malacañang said the President is still reviewing the said letter and has yet to decide on his next action on the issue.

In a statement, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo has advised the two water concessionaires that the President will strive to enforce the law.

“The concessionaires are put on notice that the Chief Executive will not renege from his constitutional duty of enforcing the law. Neither will he be swayed nor enticed into accepting a compromise. Dura lex sed lex,” he said.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Duterte grants P10,000 service recognition incentives for some gov’t workers

Robie de Guzman   •   December 5, 2019

President Rodrigo Duterte

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has authorized the granting of a service recognition incentive (SRI) of up to P10,000 each for qualified employees of the national government.

In Administrative Order no. 19, signed on Dec. 2, Duterte said the incentive will be given to deserving government employees to recognize their “collective and unceasing participation in and invaluable contribution to the administration’s continuing efforts toward the establishment of streamlined government processes and more responsive delivery of public services.”

Those qualified for the incentives include civilian personnel in national government agencies, including those in state universities and colleges, and government-owned or -controlled corporations, occupying regular, contractual or casual positions, and military personnel of the Armed Forces of the Philippines under the Department of National Defense.

Also qualified to receive the incentive are uniformed personnel of the Philippine National Police, Bureau of Fire Protection, and Bureau of Jail Management and Penology under the Department of the Interior and Local Government, the Bureau of Corrections under the Department of Justice, the Philippine Coast Guard under the Department of Transportation, and the National Mapping and Resource Information Authority under the Department of Environment and Natural Resources.

The grant of the incentive shall be subject to following conditions: civilian personnel occupying regular, contractual, or casual positions; personnel still in the government service as of Nov. 30, and personnel who have rendered at least four months of service as of Nov. 30.

The order also stated that employees who have rendered less than four months of service as of Nov. 30 are entitled to a pro-rated share of the SRI; and employees who have not received any additional year-end benefit in Fiscal Year 2019 over and above the benefit authorized under Republic Act No. 6686, are also entitled to receive the SRI.

The incentive is on top of the P60,000 bonus that Duterte announced earlier for the employees of the Office of the President.

QC bans single-use plastic, Palace hopes other LGUs will follow

Aileen Cerrudo   •   December 2, 2019

The Quezon City government approved an ordinance that will ban single-use plastic effective January 1, 2020.

According to the Quezon City government single-use plastics and other disposable materials will no longer be allowed in establishments in Quezon City such as in hotels, restaurants and other business establishments.

Chariman of the Committee on Parks and Environment in Quezon City, Hon. Dorothy Delarmente said hotels will no longer be allowed to distribute shampoo and soaps inside plastic sachets and single-use containers.

“Regardless how it was made or manufactured for as long as its purpose for single-use it is covered by the ordinance,” she said.

Establishments that will violate the said ordinance will face the following penalties:

1st Offense P1,000 Penalty
2nd Offense P3,000 Penalty
3rd Offense P5,000 Penalty + Revocation of Business Permit and Closure Order

Meanwhile, Malacañang hopes that other local governments will follow Quezon City’s ordinance on the single-use plastic ban.

“I suppose all local government would follow suit, since the president has already made a stand on that,” according to Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo.—AAC (with reports from Dante Amento and Rosalie Coz)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.