Palace: Pilot testing of PH ID system to start in September

Robie de Guzman   •   June 11, 2019   •   3664

MANILA, Philippines – The pilot testing of the national identification system will begin on September, Malacañang said on Tuesday.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said that during the Cabinet meeting on Monday, Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Ernesto Pernia and National Statistician Dennis Mapa reported about the implementation of the Philippine ID system (PhilSys).

“There will be a pilot testing which will run from September to December 2019 to register a substantial number of Filipinos nationwide,” Panelo said in a statement.

“By the end of the President’s term in 2022, one hundred seven million Filipinos are targeted to be registered,” he added.

The Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) earlier said the registration for the national ID system will be open to Filipinos and resident aliens aged five and above. Indigents, persons with disabilities and government workers will be the first to be registered.

READ: PSA assures national ID for 6M Filipinos

President Rodrigo Duterte signed the Republic Act 11055 or the PhilSys Act in August last year. The law, which covers Filipino citizens and foreign residents, seeks to harmonize, integrate and interconnect the redundant government-issued IDs by establishing a unified ID system.

The national ID will contain the cardholder’s PhilSys number and full name as well as facial image, sex, date of birth, blood type, and address; biometric information, including fingerprints, iris scan, will also be in the card.

Information on marital status, mobile number and email address will be optional.

The PSA said that by 2022, around 100 million cards will be issued to Filipinos and resident aliens.

Palace: Lorenzana to probe AFP-third telco deal

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 16, 2019

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana

Department of National Defense (DND) Secretary Delfin Lorenzana will investigate the deal between the Armed Forces of the Philippines and third telco firm, Dito Telecommunity Corp.

This was after the third telco was allowed to build their facilities near the military bases of the country.

According to Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo, Lorenzana was not aware of the said deal.

“The DND Secretary texted me about it, and said he doesn’t know anything about it,” he said.

Panelo also said Lorenzana will investigate the matter and that the government can terminate the said deal if there is a proven security threat in the country.

“He’s going to investigate and ask the concern people involved in the deal so we’ll wait for his findings,” he said.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Palace: Duterte will not set aside arbitral ruling on joint oil exploration with China

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 12, 2019

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte (L) and People’s Republic of China President Xi Jinping (R) pose for posterity prior to the start of the bilateral meeting at the Diaoyutai State Guesthouse in Beijing on August 29, 2019.

The Malacañang insisted that President Rodrigo Duterte will not set aside the West Philippine Sea arbitral ruling for the joint oil exploration with China.

This was after former Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Albert Del Rosario slammed the president’s statement.

“[Because the] exclusive economic zone is part of the arbitral ruling which we will ignore to come up with an economic activity,” President Duterte was quoted saying during the oath-taking of the Malacanang Press Corps on September 10.

Vice President Leni Robredo expressed dismay over what she referred to as ‘irresponsible’ statement of the chief executive.

However, the palace said President Duterte is not setting aside the decision of the Hague Arbitral Tribunal, as well as the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) of the country.

According to Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo, the negotiation between the Philippines and China will remain.

“The setting aside doesn’t mean that we will abandon it. what the president means, as we have repeatedly said, and as he has said too, the arbitral ruling is still subject to talks between two countries, negotiation is ongoing peacefully, meanwhile we focus on other concerns may mutually benefit the two countries,” he said.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Palace condemns ambush on former Pangasinan Gov. Espino

Robie de Guzman   •   September 12, 2019

The vehicle that former governor and congressman of Pangasinan Amado Espino, Jr. was riding in when he was ambushed on September 11, 2019 | 📷 Senator Richard Gordon Twitter

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang on Thursday condemned the ambush on former Pangasinan governor Amado Espino Jr.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo called the attack a “felonious act” and assured the public that authorities are on top of the situation.

He also vowed that the government will spare no effort in finding and bringing the perpetrators to justice.

“We condemn this felonious act as we believe that any unjustified killing has no place in a civilized society like ours,” Panelo said in a statement.

“We guarantee that police authorities are already on top of the situation and will spare no effort in finding the perpetrators of this crime and ascertaining their motive for consummating the same,” he added.

A group of unidentified gunmen on Wednesday afternoon attacked the two vehicles carrying Espino and his companions in Barangay Magtaking in San Carlos City, Pangasinan.

Espino survived the ambush but one of his police aides was killed. Four other bodyguards were wounded but are now recovering at the hospital.

Ilocos Regional Police early Thursday morning reported that Espino was already in stable condition.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.