SMUGGLED RICE: Over 27, 000 sacks of Vietnam rice were seized by the Philippine Navy from a foreign cargo vessel in the waters of Zamboanga Sibugay on Saturday, April 14. (Photo Courtesy: Philippine Navy)
MANILA, Philippines — The National Food Authority is urged to resell the 27,180 sacks of smuggled rice seized from a foreign vessel off the waters of Zamboanga Sibugay last Saturday.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque suggested that the NFA may offer the rice shipment to markets at a cheaper price.
“Kung hindi nga lang po bigas iyan, that should be up for destruction din. Pero dahil makakain naman ng taumbayan, ang sinabi sa akin ng Department of Agriculture ay pupuwede po iyang ibenta as NFA rice, iyong cheap rice para ma-increase iyong stockpile ng NFA.” the Palace official said.
(Had it not been rice, it should have been up for destruction also. But because it is suitable for public consumption, the Department of Agriculture has told me it can be sold as NFA rice, the cheap rice, to increase the NFA’s stockpile.)
The NFA is still awaiting the replenishment of its rice buffer stock of 250,000 imported rice which is set to arrive in May.
The seized shipment on board MV Diamond 8 is valued at P68 million pesos. — Marje Pelayo | UNTV News & Rescue
Panelo to replace Roque as new Palace spox
FILE PHOTO: Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo | PVI/Cerilo Ebrano
MANILA, Philippines — Special Assistant to the President Bong Go confirmed that Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo will be the next presidential spokesperson.
His new position as Palace mouthpiece is concurrent with his current role as top legal counsel of the President.
Panelo himself confirmed this new development.
“Actually wala namang pagbabago, kasi day one of the presidential campaign of the president, I was already his spokesperson, and day one when he assumed the presidency I was also his spokesperson…the only difference I think would be, I would be more visible this time,” he said.
President Rodrigo Duterte previously mentioned that he is considering Panelo for press secretary after Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque announced his plan to resign in a bid for a Senate seat in the 2019 midterm elections. — Rosalie Coz
Duterte eyes Chinese businessman for NFA Admin post; no pick for CJ yet
President Rodrigo Duterte during a press briefing in Malacañang on Tuesday, October 9, 2018 | RTVM
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte is yet to pick a new Chief Justice of the Supreme Court (SC) following the retirement of Judge Teresita de Castro.
“Ang next chief justice? I’m still toying with so many names. Ang bagong… If there’s any vacancy there — I don’t know if there’s a vacant one there. Kung may vacancy, we’ll fill it up with good men and there are few good men in this planet. We’ll have to search them far and wide,” he said during a press briefing in Malacañang on Tuesday (October 9).
The Judicial Bar Council (JBC) has started accepting applications for the position.
Meanwhile, President Duterte hinted of a person he is eyeing for the position of administrator of the National Food Authority (NFA).
“Ngayon, ang NFA, I’m looking for somebody else. I’m looking for a Chinese who’s been there in the business maybe 20 years. I’ll just ask him to, in the meantime, to be the NFA. Alam man nila ang negosyo na ‘yan,” the President said. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
BOC execs in Zamboanga suspended over missing rice
Zamboanga City Mayor Maria Isabelle Climaco-Salazar and Zamboanga District Collector Atty. Lyceo C. Martinez | Photo via Zamboanga City Government Facebook page
ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines – District Collector Atty. Lyceo Martinez and other officials of the Bureau of Customs (BOC) Zamboanga District were suspended on Tuesday (October 9) over thousands of sacks of rice that remains missing.
The rice supply was turned over to the BOC after the seizure operation.
Martinez has an existing charges of gross neglect of duty, grave misconduct and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of service prior to his suspension.
His co-accused are District Commander of the Customs Police Filomeno Salazar and two others.
The BOC continues to investigate where the missing goods were possibly delivered. – UNTV News and Rescue