Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo, in a statement, also called on other government agencies “to continue exercising vigilance and hinder the entry of such shipments of garbage into our territorial jurisdiction at the first instance.”
The said mixed plastic waste that was discovered in Misamis Oriental had been declared as “assorted electronic accessories”.
The Palace also acknowledged BOC’s action to export the shipment back to its port of origin. It also reiterated its “firm position of the Republic of the Philippines that it will not allow its territory to be treated as a dumping ground for trash by any foreign country or entity,” the statement reads.
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte is monitoring 100 more Bureau of Customs (BOC) officials allegedly involved in corruption within the agency.
In a speech during the launching of Bataan government center and Business in Balanga town on Thursday, Duterte said he received a list of 164 BOC executives purportedly engaging in corrupt practices.
The president then quoted a former Customs’ employee who said that removing these officials would rid the agency of corruption.
“At itong Customs, I was given a list of 164. They have been there already for 38 years, 15 years, 20 years, 25 years,” he said.
“Sabi nung taong ma-acquit sana, an ex-employee of — sa Customs, ‘itong mga tao na ito, ‘Mayor, kung matanggal mo ito, mawawala ang corruption sa gobyerno,’” he added.
“In the meantime that I am investigating the 64, I think they were already suspended by the Ombudsman, I’m still trying to look for these 100 idiots, these sons of a b****,” the president further stated.
Sixty-four of these officials have already been placed on floating status in July and are facing administrative and criminal charges for unlawful activities.
Following Duterte’s proposal, BOC executives met on Wednesday (Sept.11) but have yet to release any information on their discussion on a new system seeking to eliminate the use of brokers in the processing of shipments in the port area. RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
The Malacañang insisted that President Rodrigo Duterte will not set aside the West Philippine Sea arbitral ruling for the joint oil exploration with China.
This was after former Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Albert Del Rosario slammed the president’s statement.
“[Because the] exclusive economic zone is part of the arbitral ruling which we will ignore to come up with an economic activity,” President Duterte was quoted saying during the oath-taking of the Malacanang Press Corps on September 10.
Vice President Leni Robredo expressed dismay over what she referred to as ‘irresponsible’ statement of the chief executive.
However, the palace said President Duterte is not setting aside the decision of the Hague Arbitral Tribunal, as well as the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) of the country.
According to Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo, the negotiation between the Philippines and China will remain.
“The setting aside doesn’t mean that we will abandon it. what the president means, as we have repeatedly said, and as he has said too, the arbitral ruling is still subject to talks between two countries, negotiation is ongoing peacefully, meanwhile we focus on other concerns may mutually benefit the two countries,” he said.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.