Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Palace: Duterte orders immediate shipping of Canada trash at PH expense

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Wednesday, May 22nd, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the immediate shipping of Canada’s tons of garbage at the government’s expense, Malacañang said on Wednesday.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the President is upset with the inordinate delay of Canada in taking back its containers of garbage which have been languishing in the country since 2013.

“President Rodrigo Roa Duterte is upset about the inordinate delay of Canada in shipping back its containers of garbage. We are extremely disappointed with Canada’s neither here nor there pronouncement on the matter,” Panelo said in a press briefing at the Palace.

The President’s move came after the Department of Foreign Affairs ordered for the recall of Philippine ambassador and consuls to Canada after the Canadian government missed the May-15 deadline on shipping back the garbage it sent to the Philippines.

READ: PH recalls envoys to Canada over missed trash shipment deadline

Tags: , , , ,

Tugade allays flooding concerns amid construction of Sangley Airport

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Friday, June 14th, 2019

File photo: DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade

The Department of Transportation (DOTr) on Friday allayed fears of flooding amid the ongoing construction of the Sangley Airport in Cavite.

During an inspection led by Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade at the construction site, he said there was no trace of flooding in the area despite rains that occurred overnight.

“Umulan ng malakas kagabi hanggang kaninang madaling araw, pero kita niyo naman, walang baha dito sa airport,” Tugade said in a statement posted on Facebook.

IN PHOTOS: DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade led the inspection on the construction progress of Sangley Airport in Cavite…

Posted by Department of Transportation – Philippines on Thursday, 13 June 2019

He also assured that the airport development will continue despite inconveniences to meet the operational timeline set by President Rodrigo Duterte.

READ: DOTr orders 24/7 construction of Sangley airport

Tugade earlier ordered the 24/7 construction of Sangley Airport to expedite the transfer of domestic flights to reduce congestion at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).

“Let us not see shadows when there is no sun. If we are all to answer the ‘perhaps’ and the ‘maybes,’ nothing will happen in this country,” he said.

“We should not stop development simply because we are afraid of future inconveniences. Bear in mind that the price of development is an inconvenience,” he added.

During Friday’s inspection, Tugade checked the completed asphalt overlay of the runway, as well as the ongoing construction of the Passenger Terminal Building (PTB), the drainage system, and the hangars.

He also inspected an area for the landing berth of the ferry operations.

The DOTr reported that the construction of additional facilities at the Sangley Airport, which started last year and is now at 48.68% completion rate.

The inspection was conducted in collaboration with the Philippine Air Force and the Philippine Navy.

Tags: , , , , ,

Too good to be true — Duterte on investment scams

by Aileen Cerrudo   |   Posted on Friday, June 14th, 2019

President Rodrigo Duterte again urged the public not to join any investment scheme operations reportedly similar to Kapa Community Ministry.

“If it is too good to be true, then it is really wrong,” he said. “Maniwala kayo sa akin kasi abogado ako, presidente niyo ako. Kung kung totoo pa iyan, porbida ako na magsasabi ‘sige’ pati ako sasali na. Huwag kayo pumasok diyan, panloloko iyan (Believe me because I am lawyer, I am your president. If it were legitimate, I would be the first to say yes; I’ll even join one. But it’s a scam, so don’t enter into one).

“I’m sorry. The operation will be stopped or shall stop immediately,” he added.

The chief executive also reiterated his order to stop the operation of Kapa Community Ministry and the arrest of the officials as well as its founder.

“Ang sinabi ko sa NBI at police, hulihin. Kasi iyang estafa sa batas natin na ginawa ng Congress, large scale estafa in non-bailable, hindi ka makakapyansa. (I told the NBI and police to arrest [the officials]. Because that is large scale estafa which is non-bailable)” he said.

Duterte also warned the members of Kapa that they might get arrested if their names were listed as members of the organization.

Meanwhile, Kapa Community Ministry Official Lecturer Rene Catubigan insists that their group is not an investment scheme.

“Pumirma po kasi ang member ng deed of donation kaya I would like to correct the term na hindi po investment ang kanilang inilaan kundi donation. Iyong interes hindi namin tinatawag na interes iyon kasi ang tawag naming doon ‘love gift’ or ‘blessing’ (The members signed a deed of donation so I would like to correct the term. It is not an investment but a donation. The interest is not called an interest but a ‘love gift’ or ‘blessing’),” he said.

Kapa members held a prayer rally on Thursday (June 13) in General Santos, however, founder Joel Apolinario did not attend due to fear of arrest.—(with reports from Janice Ingente)

Tags: , , , , ,

China holds ‘serious’ investigation on sea collision in Recto Bank

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Friday, June 14th, 2019

The Chinese government is conducting its own investigation on the sea collision that involved Chinese crewmen abandoning Filipino fishermen after the former hit the latter’s fishing boat in the evening of June 9 in Recto Bank in the West Philippine Sea.

Chinese Ambassador Zhao Jianhua in a text message to Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the issue “is being thoroughly and seriously investigated.”

“We share your concerns about fishermen,” Zhao said.

“If it were true that it was a Chinese fishing boat which did it, they would be duly educated and punished for their irresponsible behavior. Incidents happen even in the best-regulated family,” he added.

The Chinese Ambassador also hopes that the incident will be held in a ‘proper context’.

Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Geng Shuang, meanwhile, said what happened was just ‘an ordinary maritime accident’.

He acknowledged, however, that abandoning a person in dire need of rescue is unacceptable.

“If the relevant situation turns out to be true, irrespective of which country the perpetrators come from, abandoning (others) should be condemned,” he said.

“China will continue to investigate this incident based on its responsible attitude towards the physical safety and safety of property of the people of both countries and will work with the Philippine side to properly handle,” he concluded.

Tags: , , ,