Palace: Duterte eyes revamp of airport officials

Robie de Guzman   •   June 11, 2019   •   2920

Courtesy : Presidential Photo

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte is considering a revamp of airport officials following reports of flight delays and cancellations at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), Malacañang said on Tuesday.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said that during their lengthy Cabinet meeting on Monday, the President hinted at a revamp after expressing dismay over what he found during his surprise visit at the NAIA Terminal 2.

“He shared to the Cabinet Secretaries what he found out in his surprise visit at the NAIA. He expressed dismay and hinted at its revamp,” Panelo said in a statement.

He added that the President is also mulling the transfer of domestic flights to Sangley airport in Cavite to reduce congestion at NAIA.

He said Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade mentioned the testing of ferries that can operate from the Mall of Asia to Sangley within 18 to 24 minutes.

“The President directed the operations in Sangley Point to start immediately,” Panelo said.

Panelo said that during the meeting, Duterte also voiced his preference for a single entity, either from the military or civilian force to handle concerns on airport security.

“On security concerns, President Duterte prefers that airport security be handled by a single entity, either from the military or civilian force,” he said.

“Sec. Tugade will be preparing an appropriate executive order for the President’s consideration,” he added.

READ: Duterte makes surprise visit at NAIA

On Monday morning, made a surprise visit at the NAIA following reports about flight delays and cancellations caused by the inclement weather. He apologized to affected air passengers and vowed to draw up plans to immediately resolve airport problems. (with details from Rosalie Coz)

Duterte registers for PH identification system

Robie de Guzman   •   January 22, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has personally registered with the Philippine Identification System (PhilSys), photos from Malacañang showed.

In photos shared to reporters late Thursday, Duterte can be seen having his biometric information taken by a personnel from the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA).

Duterte’s former aide, Senator Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go and Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea were also photographed having themselves registered into the national ID system.

The PhilSys Act, which Duterte signed into law in August 2018, seeks to harmonize and integrate several government IDs by establishing a single national identification system for all citizens and resident aliens through the collection of basic personal information and biometric data.

The ID will contain the PhilSys number of each person, his or her name, facial image, sex, address, date of birth, and blood type. It will also contain information such as fingerprints.

The PSA has already started last year the process of registration for the first 9 million low-income households in 32 provinces.

The registration for residents in Metro Manila and other areas is expected to begin this year.

Duterte and his Cabinet earlier approved a P3.53 billion additional budget for 2021 to register 20 million more individuals, on top of the 50 million target, into the national ID system.

The PSA is looking to complete the registration and issue the national ID before the end of Duterte’s term in 2022. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)

Palace hopeful US-PH ties to continue under Biden

Aileen Cerrudo   •   January 21, 2021

Manila, Philippines — Malacañang on Thursday (January 21) said the Philippines’ foreign policy with the United States (US) will remain under the administration of US President Joe Biden.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said both countries have similar priorities, including the interest of the citizens.

“Ang ating relasyong panlabas pareho namang consistent ang ating polisiya. Ang president po ay isinusulong ang indipendienteng panlabas na relasyon na ang inuuna po ay interes ng ating bayan at sambayanang Pilipino. Ganoon din po ang mga Amerikano (Our policies are consistent with our foreign relations. The president is pushing for an independent foreign relation which prioritizes the interest of Filipinos. Americans are also the same),” he said.

Roque noted both countries are also prioritizing their own national interest and independence as a nation.

“Isusulong nila ang pang-nasyonal na interes at siyempre po ang pakikipagkaibigan pero ang mga bansa ang kinakailangang isulong, ang kani-kaniyang interes (They are pushing for their national interest and of course, foreign ties, but the countries have their own interests to pursue),” the Palace official added.

President Rodrigo Duterte earlier on Thursday sent his congratulatory message to President Joe Biden for the latter’s inauguration.

“Our president, Rodrigo Duterte, sends his warmest greetings and his best wishes to the 46th president of the United States, Joseph “Joe” Biden and to his vice president Kamala Harris,” Roque announced.

Meanwhile, several political analysts said the Biden Administration might be more vocal regarding the human rights situation in the country, particularly the national government’s war against drugs. -AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Duterte: No franchise until arrears with government are settled

Marje Pelayo   •   January 19, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday (January 18) maintained that the government will not allow any franchise application to push through unless business owners settle their obligations with the government.

Though the President did not mention any particular business or company, his remark comes as lawmakers push for a franchise bill for ABS-CBN.

“No franchise will ever be implemented. Maski bigyan ninyo ng limang libong franchise iyan, hindi ko i-implement iyan. Settle your account with the government.” the President said.

In July 2020, the House of Representatives (HOR) Committee on Legislative Franchise denied ABS-CBN’s bid for a fresh 25-year franchise after it lapsed in May 2020.

On January 4, 2021, Senate President Vicente Sotto III filed his version of ABS-CBN franchise bill.

Earlier this month, Batangas 6th District Representative and House Deputy Speaker Vilma Santos-Recto filed her version noted as House Bill No. 8298. MNP (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

READ: ABS-CBN to stay off-air after House panel junks bid for new 25-year franchise

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.