Paglikas ng kapitan ng Sewol Ferry, nakunan sa video ng South Korean coastguard  

admin   •   April 29, 2014   •   2654

Lee Joon-Seok, captain of the South Korean ferry Sewol which capsized on Wednesday, arrives at a court in Mokpo Photo: REUTERS

MANILA, Philippines – Lalo pang dumami ang kritisismong ipinupukol ng mga South Korean sa kapitan ng lumubog na Sewol Ferry.

Ito’y matapos ilabas ng South Korean coastguard ang isang 10-minute video ng kanilang rescue operation kung saan natukoy na isa sa mga nagkukumahog na makalikas ay ang kapitan ng barko na si Lee Joon Seok.

Ayon sa coastguard, hindi nila matukoy kung crew o pasahero ng barko ang kanilang inililikas ng mga sandaling iyon dahil sa kanilang pagnanais na mailigtas ang lahat ng sakay ng lumulubog na barko.

Sa ngayon ay hawak na ng mga otoridad ang 15 crew ng lumubog na barko na nahaharap sa maraming kaso.

Sa kasalukuyan ay nasa 189 na ang kumpirmadong nasawi habang nasa 113 ang patuloy pang hinahanap ng mga otoridad. (UNTV News)

BI to deport 4 foreign nationals wanted for fraud

Robie de Guzman   •   January 14, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Immigration (BI) on Tuesday said it is deporting four foreigners who are all wanted for fraud by authorities in their respective countries.

In a statement, Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente said these individuals, three Chinese nationals and one Korean, were arrested in separate operations launched in the cities of Manila and Pasay by operatives from the bureau’s fugitive search unit (FSU).

The three Chinese nationals were identified as Lin Wengao, 41; Zhang Sen, 38; and Zhang Gaosheng, 39.

The BI said the trio was arrested by virtue of warrants of arrest issued by the Chinese government for alleged involvement in economic crimes.

Citing information from the Chinese embassy in Manila, Morente said the three Chinese nationals conspired to forge a seal of a hospital in China as a result of which they managed to defraud their victims of more than 10 million RMB or nearly US$1.5 million.

Investigation revealed that the three aliens arrived separately in the country last year as tourists.

All of them are undocumented aliens as their passports were already canceled by the Chinese government, he added.

Meanwhile, Morente also bared the arrest of Korean national Woo Yong Wook, 45, who is also wanted for fraud by authorities in Seoul.

FSU agents arrested Woo on Friday, January 10 in Malate, Manila pursuant to a warrant of deportation issued against him by the BI board of commissioners.

Woo was ordered deported after the Korean authorities informed the BI that he is wanted for allegedly masterminding a fraudulent investment scheme wherein the victims lost more than a billion Won.

“We will deport them immediately and they will be included in our blacklist to make sure that they won’t return to the Philippines,” Morente said.

BI FSU chief Bobby Raquepo said that the four were the first batch of fugitives to be arrested in 2020.

In 2019, the BI said it arrested more than 400 alien fugitives hiding in the country.

North Korea, angered by drills, fires short-range missiles

admin   •   March 2, 2015

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (C) supervises an expanded meeting of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Workers’ Party of Korea in Pyongyang in this February 18, 2015 photo released by North Korea’s Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) in Pyongyang February 19, 2015.
CREDIT: REUTERS/KCNA

(Reuters) – North Korea fired two short-range missiles off its east coast on Monday, South Korean officials said, a defiant response to annual military exercises between South Korea and the United States but one which drew a swift protest from Japan.

The firing came hours before the U.S.-South Korean military exercises were scheduled to begin, drills which the secretive North denounces as a preparation for war.

The missiles hit the sea early on Monday morning after traveling for about 490 km (305 miles), according to South Korea’s defense ministry.

Ministry spokesman Kim Min-seok said North Korea fired the missiles without designating any no-sail zones, which was regarded as a provocation.

“If North Korea takes provocative actions, our military will react firmly and strongly so North Korea will regret it in its bones,” Kim told a news briefing.

Pyongyang has escalated its rhetoric against the drills, with a spokesman for its army general staff saying Washington and Seoul “should be dealt with only by merciless strikes”.

Japan quickly lodged a protest with North Korea over the latest missile launches, saying they posed a serious threat to safety at sea and in the sky.

“The ballistic missile launches by North Korea are extremely problematic conduct in terms of aviation and navigation safety,” Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told a news conference.

“We swiftly lodged a stern protest with North Korea.”

Japan needs to tread a fine line between conveying its condemnation to Pyongyang while not derailing bilateral talks aimed at resolving the issue of Japanese citizens abducted by North Korean agents decades ago.

In July, Japan eased some sanctions on North Korea in return for the North reopening its investigation into the fate of Japanese abductees. Little progress has been made so far.

North Korea frequently tests short-range missiles off its coast as part of military drills.

The United Nations has imposed sanctions banning North Korea from using ballistic missile technologies.

(Additional reporting by Kaori Kaneko and Kiyoshi Takenaka in TOKYO; Editing by Paul Tait)

Captain of doomed South Korean ferry apologizes for failure to rescue

admin   •   October 8, 2014

A man looks at yellow ribbons dedicated to dead and missing passengers onboard sunken passenger ship Sewol at Seoul City Hall Plaza May 15, 2014.
CREDIT: REUTERS/KIM HONG-JI

(Reuters) – The captain of a South Korean ferry that capsized in April killing about 300 people, most of them school children, apologized in court on Wednesday for his failure to rescue passengers in the country’s worst maritime disaster for decades.

“I have committed a grave crime. I am sorry,” Lee Joon-seok, the 68-year-old captain, was quoted as saying by Yonhap News Agency.

Anger and grief gripped the nation after the disaster, and President Park Geun-hye’s government was heavily criticized for what was seen as a botched rescue operation.

The overloaded ferry Sewol had capsized while making a turn on a routine voyage to the holiday island of Jeju. The victims totaled 304 people killed or missing.

Lee was among 15 crew members accused of abandoning the sharply listing ferry after telling the passengers to stay put in their cabins.

Four, including the captain face homicide charges. Lee has denied any intent to kill.

The rest face lesser charges, including negligence.

“I know I can’t get out of the prison no matter how much my lawyer and God help me. But I can’t have my children and grandchildren called a murderer’s family,” Lee said.

“I have never had any intent to kill.”

Video footage of the crew abandoning the vessel after instructing the passengers, mostly teenagers, to remain in their cabins caused outrage across South Korea.

Some crew drank beer while waiting for rescue, one of them told a court, in an admission that fueled greater anger at their conduct during a critical time during the disaster.

The court is expected to rule in November.

In the wake of the disaster, South Korean police launched the country’s largest-ever manhunt for Yoo Byung-un, the head of the family that owned the ferry operator, and his family and associates.

Yoo was wanted on charges including embezzlement and negligence that prosecutors contend contributed to the disaster.

Yoo was found dead in a plum orchard in June, but his body was not identified for more than a month, despite being the focus of a nationwide search. Forensics have failed to identify the cause of death.

Kim Hye-kyung, a close aide of Yoo, was captured in the United States on charges of embezzlement and brought back to Korean authorities on Tuesday. Prosecutors view Kim as a key person managing Yoo’s funds.

Prosecutors sought on Thursday a four-year prison sentence for Yoo’s first son, according to local media. His second son is still at large.

(Reporting by Ju-min Park; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.