P3.39-B proposed budget for tourism, not enough – Lawmakers

admin   •   August 9, 2017   •   3533

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Tourism (DOT) believes the number of tourist arrivals in the country could further increase once it is provided with bigger fund.

The DOT made the statement following the slight decrease in the number of tourists visiting Mindanao since the declaration of martial law in the region.

Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo, however, clarified it does not affect the entire tourist arrival count of the country.

“From January to June as compared to last year it’s not decreasing it’s increasing in spite of the fact that the issuance of the martial law, the Panglao incident and the Resorts World,” she said.

DOT argued that with additional amount, they will be able to further promote the beautiful places in the country that will encourage more tourists.

Tourism officials added, part of the additional funding can also be used for travel expenses and skills training of DOT’s personnel.

The lawmakers themselves said that the said amount is still not enough for the other projects of the Tourism Department such as the building of infrastructures to make other tourist destinations in the country more accessible and the construction of prominent amusement parks like Disneyland and Universal Studios in the Philippines.

Lawmakers said they will help the DOT by suggesting to the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) to increase its funding as long as tourism officials give them sufficient studies on how their projects will help boost tourism industry of the country.

“If you can justify with the economic managers that tourism can contribute greatly to GDP. I think if we ask for P100 billion more, it would be granted,” Surigao del Sur, 1st District Representative Prospero Pichay said.

On the other hand, A-teacher Partylist Rep. Julieta Cortuna said, “On the part of the DBM, if you are going to ask me a budget without presenting to me how much profit I’m going to generate out of the budget that you’re going to ask from me, I would not even approve it.” — Macky Libradilla | UNTV News & Rescue

 

Philippine islands named top favorites in Asia by int’l travel magazine

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 7, 2020

The Philippines dominated the Conde Naste Traveler’s (CNT) list of top islands in Asia.

Cebu and Visayas Islands have been named among Top Island in Asia while Palawan, Siargao, and Boracay ranked fourth, fifth, and sixth, respectively.

The Department of Tourism (DOT) Secretary Bernadette Romulo Puyat said it will be a challenge for the department to continue advocating sustainable and responsible tourism practices that will help preserve these destinations.

“This latest citation from CNT gives us in the Department of Tourism (DOT) a boost of confidence, as we continuously carry out our strategies to gradually reopen domestic tourism, to once again welcome travelers from other countries when things become better,” she said. AAC

DOT announces Boracay now open to youths, seniors from Western Visayas

Aileen Cerrudo   •   July 24, 2020

The Department of Tourism (DOT) has announced that young and senior tourists from Western Visayas are now allowed to visit Boracay Island.

Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said Boracay will reopen for tourists, ages below 21 and above 60, from Western Visayas.

“This move aims to further reinvigorate the tourism economy in the region and address the earlier clamor of Boracay tourism stakeholders to attract more tourists to the island,” she said.

The Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) on Thursday (July 23) approved the DOT’s recommendation to lift the ban on tourists below 21 and above 60 on Boracay island.

Puyat assured the government will continue to put the safety of the public first and will strictly implement health and safety protocol as the island reopens. She also noted that there were no reported coronavirus (COVID-19) cases on the island.

“The DOT will always put paramount concern on the safety of our people — tourists and residents alike,” she said. AAC

Sagada reopens doors to tourists; new rules set amid COVID-19 threat

Aileen Cerrudo   •   February 24, 2020

After its temporary closure, the tourist spots in Sagada, Mountain Province have been reopened to the public but with a new set of rules as precautionary measure against the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-2019).

Sagada Mayor James Pooten, Jr. has signed an order lifting the suspension on all eco-tourism activities in their area. However, Pooten said spelunking and sunrise viewing will remain suspended to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

The official also said tours will begin at 7:00 a.m. and tourists need to undergo health screenings upon arrival in Sagada.

“Assessment will be done when registering at the Tourist Information Center when checking in at accommodations, and before tours start,” he said.—AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.