Over 300 tons of trash collected along route of Traslacion 2020

Robie de Guzman   •   January 10, 2020   •   547

The Black Nazarene is taken on a procession as Catholic devotees flock around to mark its feast day in Manila, Philippines, 09 January 2020. The feast of the Black Nazarene is one of the most celebrated religious events in the predominantly Catholic Philippines, where more than 80 percent of the population professes the faith. The wooden statue, crowned with thorns and bearing a cross, is believed to have been brought from Mexico to Manila in 1606 by Spanish missionaries. The ship that carried it caught fire, but the charred statue survived and was named the Black Nazarene.

MANILA, Philippines – The Manila City government on Friday said it has collected more than 300 tons of garbage left behind by thousands of Catholic devotees during the Traslacion 2020.

The Manila Department of Public Services said a total of 330 tons of trash, enough to fill 68 trucks, were picked up during the procession held on Thursday, January 9.

This is lower than the 387.4 tons of garbage, equivalent to 99 truckloads, that were collected last year, according to data from the Manila Public Information Office.

The procession in Quiapo finished after 16 hours, a few hours earlier than the time recorded in the previous Traslacion events. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Bernard Dadis)

Manila Health Dep’t. says rumored novel coronavirus case just pneumonia

Robie de Guzman   •   January 27, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Manila City government on Monday, January 27, denied rumors spreading online about a case of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in the Philippine capital.

In a statement, the Manila Public Information Office (PIO) said there is no confirmed case of the 2019-nCoV involving a Chinese national who was admitted at the Metropolitan Hospital in Binondo.

Manila City Health Officer Dr. Arnold Pangan identified the Chinese national as a 27-year old male who was working at a Philippine Offshore Gaming Operator (POGO).

Pangan said the Chinese man was hospitalized last January 25, 2020, due to fever and cough. The City Health Officer said the foreigner reportedly resides on the boundary of Pasay and Paranaque Cities.

“Case is a 27-year old male, arrived in the Philippines as POGO worker last January 8, 2020. He is from Obei, China,” Pangan said in his report to the Office of the Mayor.

“MHD Surveillance Team, in coordination with DOH surveillance, and as per investigation, patient has fever and cough but negative on the history of travel to Wuhan, China, and no history of exposure to a host or positive case,” he stressed.

Pangan said the Chinese national was diagnosed with community-acquired pneumonia.

“As of the moment, the patient is well and does not have fever,” he said.

“The MHD is in a continuous effort of intensive information dissemination in our public schools and respective barangays regarding precautions on stopping transmission of coronavirus,” he added.

The Manila PIO said “the coronavirus scare on social media has apparently compelled the following schools in the nation’s capital to suspend classes” for Monday.

  • Philippine Academy of Sakya
  • Saint Stephen’s High School
  • Saint Jude Catholic School
  • Chiang Kai Shek College – Padre Algue and Narra branches
  • Uno High School

Meanwhile, Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso appealed to the public to avoid sharing unverified information on social media to prevent panic or anxiety among the public over the virus spreading internationally.

“Hindi ikinikibit-balikat ang sitwasyong ito. Be vigilant. Huwag kayong maiilang. Huwag muna masyadong mag-alala. Tayo po ay makinig sa mga lathalain, panawagan ng mga tamang tao at ahensya ng gobyerno,” he said.

Mayor Isko also encouraged all citizens to immediately proceed to the nearest clinic or health center if they feel they are suffering from symptoms of the virus, which include cough, fever, and shortness of breath.

“Ngayon naman, sa lahat ng ating mga barangay, nakikisuyo ang ating MHD na kayo’y makipagtulungan by just being vigilant. Kayo rin, tayong lahat, huwag kayong matatakot kapag kayo ay may ubo. Mas maganda magpagamot at magpa-check up,” he said.

The national Department of Health (DOH) has said there is still no confirmed case yet of 2019-nCoV in the Philippines although it is monitoring at least 11 individuals for a suspected respiratory infection. These patients under investigation have been recorded in different hospitals in Muntinlupa and Pasay Cities in Metro Manila, Kalibo in Aklan, El Nido in Palawan, Cebu City, and Camiguin, based on DOH’s data.

Based on the latest report of China’s National Health Commission, the death toll from the novel coronavirus strain has spiked to 80 on Monday with hundreds of new infections despite massive travel lockdown and quarantines in China.

The virus was first detected in the Chinese City of Wuhan and has since spread to neighboring towns and other countries. Confirmed 2019-nCoV cases have been reported as far as the United States, Canada, France, Australia, Nepal, as well as in Asian cities of Taiwan, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Hong Kong, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Lunar New Year event in Binondo to push amid novel coronavirus risk

Robie de Guzman   •   January 23, 2020

Filipino-Chinese revelers scramble to get candies in celebration of the Chinese New Year at Manila’s Chinatown, Philippines, 08 February 2016. Filipino-Chinese communities welcome the Year of the Monkey, holding various activities and practices traditionally believed to bring good fortune for revelers. EPA/FRANCIS R. MALASIG

MANILA, Philippines – Organizers of festivities connected with the Chinese New Year celebration on January 25 said the countdown event scheduled in Binondo on Friday will still push through amid the threat of novel coronavirus spreading internationally.

Thousands of people are expected to troop on Binondo streets during the countdown event on Friday night, making the transmission of the virus from an infected person very likely in this kind of environment.

Cholo Sediaren, one of the organizers of the Chinese New Year in Manila, said they are closely coordinating with local authorities for the safety of the participants amid the threat of a new coronavirus strain which has already killed 17 in China.

“Hopefully we’ll be able to pull off na would be enjoyable but at the same time be safe for everyone especially since the line-up is really big and we are expecting a lot of people to attend,” Sediaren said.

Authorities in the District of Binondo – also known as Manila’s Chinatown – said they are on alert against the disease and distributed face masks to their constituents to prevent them from getting the virus.

They also advised residents not to join the festivities if he or she is feeling under the weather or are having flu-like symptoms such as cough, fever or colds.

The National Health Commission of China reported that as of Wednesday, more than 500 people have been infected by the new coronavirus strain. There are eight other known cases from other countries – Thailand has four confirmed cases, while Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, and the United States have each reported one.

The previously unknown coronavirus strain was first detected in the Chinese City of Wuhan in late December 2019.

In the Philippines, there is no confirmed case yet of the new coronavirus strain according to Health Secretary Francisco Duque III. However, they are monitoring several individuals from China who were reported to have manifested symptoms of respiratory illness.

Common symptoms of novel coronavirus include cough, throat irritation, and fever.

Coronavirus, which is a large group of viruses common among animals, causes respiratory infections ranging from common colds to more serious diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).

The virus can be transmitted to humans through contact with an infected person or animal, authorities said.

The Department of Health has advised the public to always practice frequent handwashing, avoid crowded places and contact with an infected person, and to thoroughly cook food, especially meat and dairy products. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)

Manila LGU calls on traders not to raise face mask prices amid Taal ash fall

Robie de Guzman   •   January 13, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Local authorities on Monday, January 13, called on traders not to raise the ceiling prices of face mask amid the ash fall being experienced in many parts of Luzon following the explosion of Taal Volcano.

Manila Vice Mayor Honey Lacuña-Pangan made the call following reports that the prices of face masks, particularly N95 masks, shot up following reports of dust particles and hazardous haze blanketing parts of Metro Manila, Calabarzon and Central Luzon areas.

In a statement issued by the Manila Public Information Office, Lacuña-Pangan said face masks sold in various stores have increased, from the usual P25-P30 price a piece, N95 face mask now costs P200.

There was also reported shortage of supply of face masks and hoarding by suppliers to jack up the prices.

“Huwag naman po natin gamitin ang panahon na ito para manamantala. Tandaan po natin, delikado po sa kalusugan nila ito,” Lacuna-Pangan said.

“Ayaw ko pong makakita ng pasyenteng may asthma na itinakbo sa ospital dahil lang hindi siya makahanap o makabili ng mask,” she added.

The upsurge in mask prices follows the increase in demand after authorities urged the public to wear protective masks to avoid inhalation of fine dust particles in the air due to the Taal ash fall.

The Department of Health has warned the public of the hazards that the ash fall may bring to one’s health.

The vice mayor said the city’s Bureau of Permits and Manila Licenses Office have been tasked to inspect stores and other establishments selling N95 and other face masks to ensure that prices remain stable.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.