Over 200 religious leaders apply for gun permit — PNP
by UNTV News | Posted on Wednesday, June 20th, 2018
The series of priest killings may have prompted 246 religious leaders to apply for a permit to carry firearms outside of residence (PTCFOR) at the Office of the Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief.
Among these leaders, 188 are Catholic priests while 58 are ministers, pastors, and preachers.
Nevertheless, PNP Chief PDG Oscar Albayalde explained that they need to assess the applicants first based on the threat or danger each is facing before granting the permit.
“Hindi naman basta nag-apply sila ay they will be given PTCFOR. They will still undergo the process,” he said.
Albayalde added that arming the clergy is not an indication of PNP’s inability to protect their security.
“They feel that they need this. May kasabihan kasi kung minsan na mas magandang meron kang baril at hindi mo kakailanganin rather than kakailanganin mo yung isa pagdating ng panahon pero wala ka,” he said.
The PNP Chief clarified that priests, or any civilian, are allowed to have up to two short firearms. Gun collectors, however, are allowed up to five firearms. — Lea Ylagan | UNTV News & Rescue
by UNTV News | Posted on Friday, October 6th, 2017
MANILA, Philippines — Since October last year, six government prosecutors have been ambushed and five were killed.
The one who survived is still in critical condition until now.
Wearing black today, prosecutors and employees of the DOJ condemned the series of killings of their colleagues.
“We want to show that we strongly condemn these [killings] and our prayer is to put an end to brutal or senseless killings, ” said Acting Prosecutor General Jorge Catalan Jr.
The motive behind the killings appeared to be work-related.
Among the solutions being considered is to arm the prosecutors to defend themselves.
“There are now talks and intention to teach or practice shooting and issue guns to the prosecutors because it will be expensive for the prosecutors to provide them security [escorts],” said Catalan.
In his 18 years at the DOJ, Senior Assistant State Prosecutor JP Navera has handled several sensitive cases.
Among them are the Maguindanao massacre case and the that of PDAF scam whistleblower Benhur Luy.
He has received death threats on some occasions.
“Some of us received text messages and these text messages implied something will happen if you don’t do this or do that. In my experience, I just ignore them and sometimes I change my number,” said Navera.
He welcomes security escorts for prosecutors but only when the threat is most serious.
For him, the best way to avoid threats is being honest with their jobs.
“The best way actually to avoid all these threats is to be professional, be fair with all the parties, so that the parties, the accused themselves and even the complainants, would know that you are just doing your job,” said Navera. — Roderic Mendoza | UNTV News & Rescue
by UNTV News | Posted on Thursday, October 13th, 2016
The bodies of three South Koreans with gunshot wounds to the head have been found in the Philippines, a South Korean foreign ministry official said on Thursday, the latest in a string of killings of Koreans in the southeast Asian nation.
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has waged a ruthless anti-crime campaign since taking office on June 30 in which more than 3,600 people have died in police operations and alleged vigilante killings.
The bodies of two men and a woman, all older than 40 and all with gunshot wounds to the head, were found on Tuesday in Bacolor outside the capital, Manila, the ministry official said by telephone.
Chief of police at the town of Bacolor, Sonia Alvarez, said the deaths were unlikely to be related to drugs and instead looked like a crime of passion or indebtedness.
A South Korean consular official is working with Philippine authorities on the case, but no motive or suspects have yet been identified, said the official, who declined to be named because he was not authorized to speak to the media.
The Philippine embassy in Seoul declined to comment.
The legs of one of the male victims were bound while the woman’s wrists were tied, the official added.
The case takes to six the tally of South Koreans found dead this year in the Philippines, where more than ten South Korean citizens have been killed each year since 2013, South Korean media said. — Reuters
by UNTV News | Posted on Thursday, September 15th, 2016
In today’s Senate hearing, alleged former Davao City Death Squad member Edgar Matobato made statements claiming that vigilantes killed four bodyguards of former deputy Speaker Prospero Nograles, the father of Cong. Karlo Nograles.
Davao City District 1 Representative Karlo Nograles released his statement denying the accusation of the witness.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.