Opposition groups vow peaceful demonstrations in Duterte’s 4th SONA

Marje Pelayo   •   July 17, 2019   •   1907

Militant groups march with banners carrying message of peace in support of President Rodrigo Duterte during his first state of the nation address in 2016 | Courtesy: Kenji Hasegawa/Photoville International

MANILA, Philippines – Days before President Rodrigo Duterte’s fourth state of the nation address (SONA), the Quezon City Police District has met with representatives of different agencies and the local government as well as with groups of protesters to discuss the plan of events on Monday (July 22).

Police Major General Guillermo Eleazar said the demonstrators vowed to carry out peaceful assembly at designated protest areas on the day of the President’s SONA.

“Ituloy po natin ito dahil ang gusto nating mangyari nga, magkaroon ng tahimik at maayos na SONA na lahat naman po ng gusto nating mangyari base sa ating karapatan ay ating magagawa, (Let’s us accomplish this as all of us aspire for an orderly and peaceful SONA. This is what we want to accomplish based on our rights,)” Eleazar said.

Protesters’ assembly area will be at Agham Road, U.P. Diliman, and Tandang Sora Avenue.

All groups will then meet at Commonwealth Avenue.

The eastbound lane will be closed to give way to the groups’ program of activities starting from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Authorities are expecting about 15,000 individuals joining the rally on Monday.

Groups under United People’s SONA including Laban ng Masa, Kilusang Mayo Uno, Bagong Alyansang Makabayan, Pasang Masda and Movement Against Tyranny agreed with authorities to maintain peace and order during their assembly.

“Kaya po kami nandito (ay) para tiyakin na magiging maayos at ilang taon na rin po kaming nag-uusap ni General Eleazar. Mayroon na tayong tried-and-tested na formula,” said Bayan’s Secretary General Renato Reyes.

“We would like to assure everybody, as we have just assured our Philippine National Police, that our rally will definitely be a very, very peaceful and organized rally,” added Laban ng Masa national Coordinator Rasti Delizo.

Meanwhile, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said they are ready to provide security to the President in case he decides to go out and address the protesters like he did in 2017.

“Mas challenging for us kung lalapit pa siya doon, (That would be more challenging to us if he goes out),” Eleazar said.

“Kung kami ang tatanungin, mas maganda na hindi na lang siya pumunta roon in so far as security is concerned. Pero kung ano ang gagawin niya, nakahanda tayo doon, (If it were up to us, it would be better if he refrains from going out in so far as security is concerned. But if that’s what he wants, we are ready),” he added.

But if worse comes to worst, Eleazar said, they will be compelled to use force to disperse the rallyists if in case they sow violence during the event.

“That’s a violation already of our agreement,” he said.

After meeting with concerned groups, Eleazar will meet with the Presidential Security Group (PSG) next to discuss the implementation of a temporary signal jamming within the vicinity during the President’s SONA proper.

Meanwhile the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) is appealing to the protesters to maintain cleanliness in the protest area throughout the demonstration.

“Sana po maging responsable po tayo, (Let us be responsible),” appealed Jojo Garcia, MMDA general manager.

“Ang maaapektuhan niyan (ay ang) mga kababayan din natin, kapag iniwan niyo ‘yung kalat na ‘yan at iyan ay nagbara sa ating mga drainage, (If you leave your garbage there and clog the drainage, that would affect the general public),” he added.

Overall, the NCRPO will deploy a total of 15,000 cops in addition to the 9,000 policemen from the QCPD to secure the President’s SONA. – with details from Harlene Delgado

Duterte urges Congress to expedite creation of agency concerning OFWs

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 28, 2020

President Rodrigo Duterte

President Rodrigo Duterte urged Congress to expedite the creation of a new agency that will cater to the welfare of the overseas Filipino workers (OFWs).

“So I proposed in the coming months, and I hope to come up with a Department of Overseas Workers,” he said.

Duterte said the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has so much burden to focus on OFWs.

The President also said the new agency will address the persistent woes encountered by OFWs. There is also a proposal to create another agency for seafarers.

“So iyan ang ano ko sa mga kababayan ko na naghihirap sa labas, (So that is what I can provide for our fellowmen abroad) that there will be a more thorough review in policies for your protection and that somebody should look after you,” he said.

Senator Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go in 2019 filed Senate Bill 202, or the Department of Overseas Filipinos Act of 2019 in support of President Duterte’s advocacy. AAC

Duterte to announce quarantine classifications for November tonight

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 26, 2020

President Rodrigo Duterte will announce the new quarantine classifications for November on Monday (October 26) evening, according to Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque.

“We will proceed with our meeting with him via Zoom at inaasahan pa rin pong magre-report ang ilang miyembro ng Gabinete lalong lalo na dito sa quarantine classifications (and we expect several Cabinet members will also present their report especially for the quarantine classifications),” he said during a press briefing.

Roque also confirmed the technical working group of the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) already has a recommendation regarding the quarantine classifications.

The Palace official also confirmed that the President already assigned a vaccine czar two months ago. This was after the proposal of Senate President Pro Tempore Ralp Recto in order to prepare for the needed storage facility and the system for vaccine distribution.

“Two months ago, I recalled si Presidente may tinalagang vaccine czar kaya lang po, iyong naitalagang vaccine czar is hesitant when I asked him if I could remind the public that he has been designated as a vaccine czar kasi baka hindi na raw po maalala ni President. So we would like to wait for the Pesident to make an announcement anew (I recalled, two months ago, the President already assigned a vaccine czar. However, the assigned vaccine czar was hesitant when I asked him if I could remind the public that he has been designated. He said the President may have forgotten already so we would like to wait for the President to make the announcement anew),” Roque said. AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Checkpoint at travel pass, ipatutupad pa rin sa ilang lugar – PNP

Robie de Guzman   •   October 19, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Hindi pa rin ititigil ng Philippine National Police (PNP) ang pagpapatupad ng checkpoint at travel authority pass sa ilang lugar sa bansa kahit pinayagan na ang paglabas ng mas maraming tao sa gitna community quarantine.

Ayon kay police Joint Task Force Coronavirus (JTF CV) Shield commander Lieutenant General Guillermo Eleazar, nasa desisyon ng mga lokal na pamahalaan kung papayagan ang paglabas at pagbiyahe ng mga taong hindi kabilang sa authorized persons outside of residence (APOR) at locally-stranded individuals kasunod ng desisyon ng Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) sa paglabas ng tahanan ng mga nasa edad na 15 hanggang 65 taong gulang.

Una nang sinabi ni League of Provinces of the Philippines head, Marinduque Governor Presbitero Velaso na tuloy pa rin ang pagpapatupad ng quarantine rules para sa kapakanan ng kanilang constituents laban sa coronavirus disease.

Sa kabila nito, sinabi ni Eleazar na hindi isinasantabi nila ang posibilidad na may mga lugar na nais nang alisin ang travel restrictions para makabangon ang lokal na ekonomiya.

Pero hangga’t hindi aniya inaalis ang travel restrictions ay mananatili ang checkpoint at paghahanap ng travel pass sa mga checkpoint bilang requirement sa mga uuwi o bibiyahe sa mga probinsiya.

Sa ngayon aniya ay nakikipag-ugnayan na ang police ground commanders sa mga lokal na pamahalaan upang alamin kung may mga pagbabago sa ipinatutupad na travel protocol policy.

“Ibig sabihin noon, kapag ang isang probinsya ay wala nang restriction, hindi na kailangan ng travel authority kung pupunta doon,” ang pahayag ni Eleazar.

Payo naman ng opisyal sa publiko na alamin ang panuntunan ng mga bayang pupuntahan o dadaanan bago ang kanilang biyahe upang maiwasan ang aberya.

“Dahil kung ang pupuntahan niyo o yung dadaanan niyo, alin man don ay restricted pa din like nagre-require ng travel authority ay kailangang mag secure kayo ng kanilang requirement,” ang wika ni Eleazar. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Lea Ylagan)


REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.