Office of the Ombudsman confirms dismissal of Iloilo Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog
admin • October 27, 2017 • 5183
MANILA, Philippines — “Guilty of serious dishonesty relative to his unlawful acquisition of wealth” has been the decision of the Office of the Ombudsman on the dishonesty and grave misconduct complaint filed by former Iloilo Provincial Administrator Manuel Mejorada against Iloilo City Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog in 2015.
According to the Ombudsman, Mayor Mabilog failed to explain how his wealth ballooned, particularly the P8.9 million worth of additional amount he amassed in just a period of one year, from 2012 to 2013.
Aside from dismissal from service order, the Ombudsman also imposed cancellation of civil service eligibility on Mabilog, forfeiture of retirement benefits, perpetual disqualification from holding public office and prohibition from taking civil service examinations.
Meanwhile, the camp of Mabilog is hoping for the reversal of the dismissal order from the Office of the Ombudsman.
According to his lawyer, Atty. Mark Piad, Mabilog plans to appeal the said decision.
“We will just explore or avail whatever legal remedies that we have. We might probably ask for TRO from the court of appeals or we might appeal the decision of the Ombudsman or we might follow petition before the court of appeals,” said the legal counsel.
Meanwhile, when asked about the threats of President Rodrigo Duterte to make Mabilog his next target, the lawyer refused to comment.
“We don’t know what the President meant so we really cannot comment any further on that. Whatever will happen we just lay down to God’s divine intervention. That’s basically what the mayor said last time,” said the lawyer. — Rajel Adora | UNTV News & Rescue
President Rodrigo Duterte is set to announce on Monday (November 30) the new quarantine classification that will be implemented for the month of December.
National Task Force Against COVID-19 chief implementer Secretary Carlito Galvez said there might be an ease in the restrictions after the holiday season.
Several areas in the country, including Metro Manila, are currently under general community quarantine (GCQ) for the month of November while other areas are under modified GCQ.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said the President will make an announcement on Monday even though it is a holiday.
“I have had to personally change my schedule because I was told na magkakaroon ng talk to the people po ang Presidente sa a-trenta ng Nobyembre (that the President will have a talk to the people on November 30) which is a holiday,” he said during a press briefing. -AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines — Members of the opposition have questioned Malacañang anew why it cannot release to the public the details of President Rodrigo Duterte’s statement of assets, liabilities and network (SALN) following the release of the senators’ SALN.
To end further speculations on the issue, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said he will discuss the matter with the President and ask him if he wants his SALN to be made public.
“Mag-uusap po kami ng ating presidente. Para matapos na po itong issue na ito ay tatanungin ko po baka naman po magbigay ng permiso ang presidente para isapubliko ang kaniyang SALN, [I will talk to the President. To end this issue, I will ask him if he would permit making his SALN public],” Roque said.
“Pero wala pong itinatago ang ating presidente. Bago po maglabas ng ganitong guidelines ang Ombdusman, taon-taon naman po inilalabas ng presidente ang kaniyang SALN, [But the president is not hiding anything. Before the Ombudsman released its guidelines, the President had been releasing his SALN to the public],” he added.
In a report released by the Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism (PCIJ), the last time President Duterte’s SALN was made public was in 2016 and 2017 but it was no longer available in 2018 and 2019.
Malacañang insists that the Chief Executive is only following the guidelines issued by the Office of the Ombudsman over his SALN.
“Tatanungin po natin iyan sa Presidente. Kasi ang kaniyang posisyon bilang isang abogado, sundin namin ang guidelines ng Ombudsman [We will ask the President because his position as a lawyer is to follow the guidelines of the Ombudsman],” Roque said. MNP (with details from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang insists that the publication of President Rodrigo Duterte’s Statement of Assets, Liabilities and Net Worth or SALN depends on the Office of the Ombudsman.
This was the Palace’s response when asked whether the public will ever get to see the wealth records of the Chief Executive.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque advises the public to follow the regulations imposed by the Ombudsman on public access to SALN of government officials.
“May bago pong guidelines na sinusunod ang Office of the Ombudsman. Siguro po dahil po constitutional body ang Ombudsman, dapat pong sundin ang kanilang mga guidelines [The Office of the Ombudsman is following a set of guidelines. Since the Ombudsman is a constitutional body, their guidelines must be followed),” Roque stressed.
Unlike in past administrations, the Ombudsman is no longer allowing the public to see copies of the SALNs.
It can only be provided to a requester if he or she is the declarant or the person who filed the SALN or the duly representative of the declarant, a court order is present or the request is made by the Ombudsman’s field investigation units. MNP (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.