NYC to hold regional consultations to address issues that affect youth sector

admin   •   August 30, 2016   •   2273

IMAGE_AUG-30-2016_UNTV-NEWS_NYC

 

The National Youth Commission (NYC) will start holding regional consultations tomorrow for the crafting of the Philippine Youth Development Plan (PYDP) for 2017 to 2022.

As mandated by law, the PYDP shall provide policy and program direction for the development and participation of youth in nation building.

According to NYC Chairperson Cariza “Aiza” Seguerra, the commission needs to come up with a coherent and pro-youth PYDP to address key issues that affect the youth sector.

She also says that holding regional consultations for the PYDP is the first step in bringing the NYC closer to the youth as she wants the agency to be more reachable and accessible.

The PYDP 2017-2022 shall be formulated through a participatory and inclusive approach to identify the key issues facing the youth; opportunities, enabling conditions, and proposed strategies and policies to be created and provided; and the role of the Filipino youth as rights holders and duly bearers.

Starting tomorrow until October 5, the commission will hold simultaneous consultations in Cebu, Baguio, Butuan, Agusan del Norte, Zamboanga, Malvar, Batangas, Cotabato City, Maguindanao, San Fernando, La union, Bacolod, Negros Occidental, Cagayan de Oro, Legaspi, Tuguegarao, Davao, Iloilo, and San Fernando, Pampanga.

In every consultation, the NYC will gather inputs from the representatives of youth organizations, youth-serving organizations, and national government agencies. — Yoshiko Sata | UNTV News & Rescue

Youth group files petition in Comelec to disqualify Cardema as youth rep

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 17, 2019

Millennials PH, accompanied by Atty. Emil Marañon and Atty. Sixto Brillantes Jr., files petition anew to cancel the substitution bid of ex-NYC Chair Ronald Cardema to become a nominee of Duterte Youth Partylist.

Youth group, Millenials PH, has filed a petition with the Commission on Elections (Comelec) seeking to disqualify former National Youth Commission chairperson Ronald Cardema as representative of the Duterte Youth Party-list.

According to Millenials PH, Cardema is already over the age limit to qualify as representative of the Duterte Youth Party-list .

Based on their 17-page petition, Cardema is already 34 years old which is over the set age limit for the party-list representatives of the youth sector which is 25 to 30 years old.

“Makikita na may material misrepresentation talaga na nangyari and ang representation talaga ng Duterte Youth ay youth sector (There really is a material misrepresentation. The representation of the Duterte Youth is the youth sector),” according to Millenials PH Spokesperson Aunell Ross Angcos.

Former Comelec Chairman Atty. Sixto Brillantes Jr., who accompanied the youth group to file the petition said Comelec should withhold Cardema’s certificate of proclamation.

“Dapat matanggal na muna ito at pumalit na ang tunay, iyong legitimate. Kaya kami pumirma rito. Willing kami i-prosecute ito diretso dito sa Comelec hanggang sa Supreme Court kung kailangan (It should be withheld first and should be replaced with the legitimate [representative]. So we signed here. We are willing to prosecute this straight to Comelec up to the Supreme Court if needed),” he said.

Comelec Commissioner Rowena Guanzon previously said that the Duterte Youth party-list is registered as a youth sector party-list in the 2019 elections.

Meanwhile, Cardema defended that Duterte Youth is registered as a party-list group to uplift the youth and professional sector which has no age limit.

Duterte Youth won one seat in Congress. However, five of the party-list nominees withdrew their nomination, including Cardema’s wife, Ducielle Marie Suarez.

The Comelec poll body is currently conducting a hearing for the petition against Cardema.—AAC (with reports from April Cenedoza)

Malacañang calls on DOJ to probe ex-NYC Chairman Cardema

Marje Pelayo   •   May 21, 2019

Ronald Cardema

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang has called on the Department of Justice (DOJ) to probe former National Youth Commission (NYC) chair, Ronald Cardema over possible violations.

“We refer the case of Cardema to the DOJ because we have received reports, that despite his filing of a certificate of substitution, he presided over a meeting subsequent to that certification. So, we are referring the matter to the DOJ,” said Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo.

Panelo said Cardema did not inform the President of his decision and so the Palace directed the DOJ to look into Cardema’s violation of the law or any regulation pertaining to his functions as a public official.

The Palace earlier announced that Cardema was deemed resigned the moment he submitted the petition for substitution to the poll body.

Cardema was a known Duterte ally.

“No allies, no friends, no supporters. If they have committed any wrong, will not be tolerated by this government,” Panelo said.

Cardema, meanwhile, has yet to respond on the issue. – (with reports from Rosalie Coz) Marje Pelayo

No more beauty contests, basketball leagues for SK – National Youth Commission

Marje Pelayo   •   May 14, 2018

 

MANILA, Philippines – The National Youth Commission (NYC) vows to strictly monitor the activities of Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) across the country with the election of new youth officials this year.

The NYC is the government’s highest policy-making body for the youth sector.

According to Commissioner OIC Chairman Ronald Cardema, the youth agency will no longer allow unimportant projects that only waste government funds.

“Hindi na puwede ang mga dating proyekto ng mga SK na pa-liga lang, pa-beauty contest, mga house plate number, outing, lakbay-aral pero bakasyon lang naman,” Cardema said.

(Previous projects such as basketball leagues, beauty contests, house plate numbers, outings and lakbay-aral (educational travels) which are really just vacations.)

Instead, the NYC plans to involve the youths in disaster response, anti-drugs and anti-crime campaigns.

The youth agency will also recommend to the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) to impose suspension on SK officials for irresponsibility and negligence in the performance of duty. The NYC said all SK officials need to undergo mandatory training before they officially assume office.

NYC said they are planning for ceremonial mass oath-taking of all elected SK officials to be officiated by President Rodrigo Duterte himself.

“Ngayon po mayroon tayong inirerekomenda sa National Youth Commission na ipapasa namin as resolution na lahat ng magiging SK officials sa buong bansa ay magce-ceremonial mass oath-taking kay pangulo po,” said Cardema.

(We have a recommendation for the  National Youth Commission, which we plan to submit as a resolution, that all SK officials nationwide will have a ceremonial mass oath-taking with the president.)

It has been eight years since the last Sangguniang Kabataan elections took place in 2010. This year, around 350,000 youth officials are expected to take office in a total of 42 barangays in the country.

The Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) council is composed of a Chairman and seven councilors age 18 to 24 who will be in office for three years. — Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue

 

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.