MANILA, Philippines – The number of firecracker-related injuries in the country has already climbed to 42 since the 21st of December.
Twenty-six of the victims sustained injuries due to piccolo, 4 were due to “boga” (improvised cannon), while three sustained injuries due to whistle bomb and other prohibited firecrackers.
Twenty-four of the victims are from the National Capital Region (NCR).
The Department of Health (DOH) is hoping the number will not further rise in the coming days.
“Although you say it’s just a small finger that was amputated, or just a part of their hands, still, they have lost a body part. It may affect their well-being. I hope it would serve as a lesson to others attempting to use illegal firecrackers,” DOH Spokesperson Sec. Lyndoon Lee Suy said.
DOH also warned of imposing penalties to those who would violate the firecracker ban. – UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines — Department of Health Secretary Francisco Duque III considers their campaign banning the use of firecrackers in the New Year revelry a success.
This, after the department on Wednesday, reported around 164 cases of firecracker-related injuries amid the festivity.
This is lower by 87 cases from the 2019 record of 251.
At a press conference at the East Avenue Medical Center (EAMC), Duque said the number is 71% lower than the five-year average of 403 cases.
He attributed this decrease to President Rodrigo Duterte’s Executive Order No. 28 issued in 2017 which regulates the use of firecrackers.
“Data would show that indeed the downward trend became evident since the president issued out E.O. 28.” he said.
Duque also underscored that the information campaign of the Department of Health (DOH) about firecrackers — which includes the promotion of community fireworks displays — in causing the downward trend of such cases.
The health secretary also acknowledged the efforts of local government units and the media in the information dissemination on firecrackers.
Based on data from Dec. 21, 2019 to January 1, 2020, the National Capital Region has recorded the most number of cases with 84, followed by CALABARZON with 13 cases.
Most of the victims were male between the ages of one and 71 years old.
Most of the injuries were blasts and burns, which totaled 71 cases reported. This was followed by eye injuries with 26 cases.
Most of the injuries were due to kwitis, luces, fountain, piccolo, and baby rocket.
Duque noted that legal firecrackers caused 69% of all injuries.
The DOH also confirmed that there were no injuries due to stray bullet, fireworks ingestion or deaths recorded amid the revelry. — (with details from Asher Cadapan, Jr.) /mbmf
BACOLOD CITY, Philippines — More than P130,000 worth of firecrackers and pyrotechnics were crushed, soaked in water and buried in pits in Bacolod City.
These illegal firecrackers, which include Pegasus, triangle, 5-star, katay, kamara, Super Lolo, Kandle Bomb and boga, were surrendered and seized by authorities in the city from December 29 to December 31, 2018.
Judas belt and 5-star top the list of most seized prohibited firecrackers in the city.
Meanwhile, Bacolod City Police has not recorded any firecracker-related fire incidents in the city from December 31-January 1. — Lalaine Moreno| UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines — Prices of firecrackers in Divisoria nowadays have spiked by 15% higher than the price last year.
“Tumaas ang presyo kaysa dati na nakaraang taon mga 15 percent yung taas ng presyo ng paputok ngayon kumbagPrices of firecrackers in Divisoria nowadays have spiked by 15% higher than the price last year.a sa ganitong klase tumaas po siya ng kinse,” said Mujahild Mamintal, a vendor.
The increase is due to low supply of firecrackers coming from main manufacturers in Bocaue, Bulacan.
A vendor believes the increase in fees for sales permit is also a factor for firecracker price hike.
“Matumal ngayon kasi laging nireraid yung Bocaue. Doon kami kumukuha matumal ngayon. Mataas ang kalakal ngayon dahil ang permit ngayon ay napakataas times two na,” said Ryan Maoming, a vendor.
It can be recalled that the Philippine National Police (PNP) did not issue new permits to new manufacturers, allowing only old producers with permits.
Because of this, the Association of Accredited Manufacturer of Pyrotechnic and Fireworks has appealed to the police to intensify the monitoring of illegal firecrackers.
In Divisoria, police are seen inspecting firecracker vendors to ask if they have permits.
Police are also monitoring the spread of firecrackers and fireworks without safety standard stickers from the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI).
As of press time, there are no recorded offenders or any untoward incident related to firecrackers in the commercial center.
Divisoria firecracker and firework vendors, meanwhile, are hoping that they can earn their profits before 2018 ends as they expect that firecrackers will be in demand. — UNTV News & Rescue
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.