Nueva Ecija culls over 500 pigs for suspected ASF

Marje Pelayo   •   December 13, 2019   •   1754

NUEVA ECIJA, Philippines – The Municipal Agriculture office has culled more than 500 pigs on Friday (December 13).

This, following reports from residents in Barangay Luyos, in the town of San Antonio, Nueva Ecija that several pigs in the area died last week.

Backyard hog raisers voluntarily submitted their animals to culling in fear of African Swine Fever (ASF).

“Natakot kami na baka kami madamay (We were afraid of getting affected),” said hog raiser Rowena Liamson.

“Kaysa kami po ang magbaon, wala naman po kaming malalaking bakuran na pagbabaunan kaya nag voluntary surrender na lang po kami (So instead of burying the pigs by ourselves, we chose to voluntarily surrender them as we have no available lot space for a pit),” she explained.

The Department of Agriculture (DA) will pay each hog raiser P5,000 for each culled pig so that they could at least recover from their losses.

Based on record of the Municipal Agriculture Office, they are set to depopulate around 1,200 pigs in Barangays Mariano, Julo and Luyos in the coming days.

Authorities call on residents to immediately report to them any case of pig sickness and death so they could act accordingly and eventually prevent the spread of the deadly hog disease. – MNP (With details from Danny Munar)

Local hog industry laments competition with low-priced imported pork

Marje Pelayo   •   August 11, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Local hog raisers are complaining about competing with imported pork in local markets that is considerably cheaper than their produce.

“Hindi po namin kaya ang presyo ng imported. As of now, if we follow the price of imported, all of us will lose money, not only here in Luzon but in Visayas and Mindanao,” said Chester Warren Tan, president of the National Federation of Hog Farmers Inc.

Tan said they are spending huge amounts of money on buying imported feeds for their hogs.

Based on data presented by Trade Undersecretary Ruth Castelo during the hearing in Congress on Tuesday (August 10), the price of frozen pork ranges from P220 to P250 per kilogram in supermarkets.

“All 84 stores within the National Capital Region are participating in the Presyong Resonable dapat all frozen meat,” Castelo said.

But based on the data gathered by the Department of Agriculture (DA) from local wet markets, the price of pork ranges from P320 to P360 per kilogram.

Agriculture Secretary William Dar said, once imported meat gets into the local market, the price of pork is expected to drop.

“As volume comes sa supply augmentation nga natin out of the MAV plus, itong period hanggang October nga po ay merong naka-calibrate na 140,000 metric tons. If many of these will arrive slowly it will also impact the prices of local pork,” Dar explained.

This alarms local hog raisers.

“As local producers umaasa po kami sa fresh sa wet market. Kung ang gusto po ng Department of Agriculture na mangyari is to push sa wet market yung frozen product, ano ang mangyayari sa local producers? Ibig sabihin huminto na lamang kami,” said Tan.

But the DA said there are existing programs designed to help local hog raisers.

One is the agency’s repopulation program for hog raisers affected by the outbreak of African Swine Fever (ASF) and the DA’s P42 billion loan program.

As of August 10, only 29 barangays still have active cases of ASF in the country which is a big improvement, according to the DA.

Meanwhile, a total of 468 municipalities have been declared ASF-free. Nevertheless, Dar said the problem is still here.

“I did not claim that wala ng problema sa ASF. Meron pa rin tayo. Lingering nga. Itong ASF has contributed so much in reducing the supply and inventory,” he said.

Thus, the DA Secretary is asking Congress to provide them an additional P6.6 billion funding  to help the local hog industry recover from the impact of ASF.

“Kasama of course ang Kongreso kasi kayo ang nag-approve. P1.5 billion lang. So will that be enough for repopulation? No. We need additional P6.6 billion this year,” Dar said. MNP (with reports from Nel Maribojoc)

Suspects in kidnap-slay of online jewelry seller in Nueva Ecija surrender to authorities

Marje Pelayo   •   August 3, 2021

 

MANILA, Philippines —  Two cops voluntarily surrendered to authorities in connection with their alleged involvement in the kidnap-slay case of an online jewelry seller in Santa Rosa, Nueva Ecija.

On the other hand, third suspect and his civilian cohort were arrested.

PSSg Benedict Reyes was arrested on July 29 at the  Sta. Rosa Police Station after the officer –in- charge,  PMaj Fortune Dianne Bernardo called him to report to her office.

Two days later on July 31, PCpl Julius Alcantara of Police Provincial Drug Enforcement Unit (PPDEU), NEPPO voluntarily surrendered himself to the Acting Chief of Police of Gapan CPS, PLtCol. Alexie Desamito.

Hours later that same day, PLt.Col Renato Morales, Chief of Police of Palayan CPS took custody of PSSg June Marcelo Mallilin.

Prior to said surrender and arrest, PRO3 Regional Director PBGen Valeriano De Leon ordered all concerned Chiefs of Police to cause the immediate surrender of all PNP personnel allegedly involved in said case.

Based on the account of a witness, Grab driver Mark Bua Batac, he and victim Nadia Casar were on board his orange Toyota Vios Sedan bound for the municipality of Santa Rosa, Nueva Ecija to deliver something to Franklin Macapagal (aka Kelly) who happened to be one of the suspects..

They left the place right after the transaction.

While travelling, they were suddenly intercepted by one pick-up and two motorcycles and Batac averred that a group of five armed men abducted them.

Two other police suspects have yet to submit themselves to authorities.

Meanwhile, a crime for violation of Article 267 of the Revised Penal Code (Kidnapping and Serious Illegal Detention) has been filed by the Anti-Kidnapping Group against the suspects PSSg Benedict Reyes; PSSg June Mallillin; PCpl Julius Alcantara; PMsg Rowen Martin; PSSg Drextemir Esmundo; and Franklin Macapagal @kelly.

“We are continuously gathering all information relevant to said case to find out the truth and unearth the facts surrounding the incident as we do not condone any unlawful demeanor perpetrated by our members,” said PBGen. De Leon.

“Still, we guarantee that there will be no whitewash in the investigation and any infraction and wrongdoing committed by our policemen will never be tolerated,” he added.

The surrenderers-policemen are now under the custody of the PNP-AKG.

Eleazar orders dismissal of 5 cops tagged in kidnap-slay of online seller in Nueva Ecija

Robie de Guzman   •   August 3, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Philippine National Police (PNP) chief General Guillermo Eleazar on Tuesday ordered the dismissal from service of five policemen accused in the kidnap-slay of an online seller in Nueva Ecija.

The PNP identified the following cops who were tagged in the abduction and the killing of Nadia Casar:

  • Police Staff Sergeant Benedict Matias Reyes, assigned at the Sta. Rosa Municipal Police Station in Nueva Ecija
  • Police Staff Sergeant June Malillin of the Palayan City Police Station
  • Police Corporal Julius Alcantara of the Nueva Ecija Provincial Police Office Drug Enforcement Unit
  • Police Master Sergeant Rowen Martin, assigned at the Cabanatuan City Police Station
  • Police Staff Sergeant Drextemir Esmundo of the Cabiao Municipal Police Station

Two civilians, identified as Franklin Macapagal and Dario Robarios, were also linked to the incident after a witness to the crime identified them.

The PNP said Reyes, Malillin, Alcantara, and Robarios are now in police custody; while Martin, Esmundo, and Macapagal remain at large. They have been charged in the Department of Justice.

Initial police investigation showed that Casar and a Grab driver she hired were kidnapped by at least five men at around 1:45 p.m. on July 20 in Barangay Tagpos, Sta. Rosa, Nueva Ecija.

Suspects allegedly took the driver’s cellular phone and P4,500 cash and released him around 3 a.m. of July 21.

On August 1, the burnt body of the victim was found buried at Sitio Pinagpala in Palayan City.

Eleazar said he has directed the PNP Internal Affairs Service to immediately initiate summary dismissal proceedings against the five cops.

He also tasked the PNP Anti-Kidnapping Group and the Integrity Monitoring and Enforcement Group to conduct manhunt operations against the three suspects who remain at large.

“Mariin nating kinokondena ang pangyayaring ito. Sinisiguro ko sa inyong masisibak sa serbisyo at pananagutin natin sa batas ang lahat ng pulis na sangkot sa pagdukot at pagpatay kay Nadia Casar,” the PNP chief said.

Eleazar expressed his sympathies to the victim’s family as he vowed swift justice for her killing.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.