Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

NPA arsonist killed in an encounter with soldiers in Laguna

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Friday, February 15th, 2019

Recovered paraphernalia | Photo courtesy of 2ID-PAO

RIZAL, Philippines – A member of the New People’s Army communist group said to be responsible for the burning of construction equipment in Quezon province last week was killed in an encounter with the military on Thursday (February 14) at Sitio Pinamintian, Barangay San Buenaventura, Luisiana, Laguna.

BGen. Arnulfo Burgos Jr., Commander of the 202nd Brigade directly supervising the on-going Focused Military Operation (FMO) said the arsonists were forced to withdraw towards Quezon-Laguna boundary in their attempt to escape soldiers from 80IB.

Soldiers were able to recover at the encounter site two (2) M16 magazines, two (2) Improvised Explosive Devices (IED), detonators with wires, ten (10) fixed tents, one (1) tablet, eight (8) cellular phones (two of them smart phones), one (1) Baofeng radio, one (1) NPA terrorists flag, one (1) pack medicines, three (3) bags and other training materials, according to the 2ID-PAO.

While withdrawing, the rebels encountered another group of soldiers from the 1IB who were conducting complementary operations at Brgy Kalangay, Lucban, Quezon resulting in another 15-minute firefight.

According to Lt.Col. Jonathan Manio, Battalion Commander of 1IB, an informant revealed that two female NPA terrorists were killed in the first encounter.

No one was hurt on the government side.

Manio said “all available troops including K9 dogs and the local police are now conducting hot pursuit operations.”

MGen. Rhoderick Parayno, the Commander of the Philippine Army’s 2ID lauded the latest accomplishments of the troops against the NPA terrorists responsible for the arson in Quezon.

The official urged the rebels to return to the government side to live a better life and reform for the sake of their families.

“We are not ruthless. I’m offering them refuge. If they want to be with their families and live peaceful, normal and productive lives, we will welcome them to just return to the fold of the law. I guarantee their safety and I’ll make sure that they receive all the benefits due them offered by the government”, Parayno said.

Meanwhile, Manio assured that “all available troops including K9 dogs and the local police are now conducting hot pursuit operations” against the rebels. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Jennica Cruz / 2ID-PAO)

Tags: ,

3 NPA terrorists killed in Mindoro encounter

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Friday, June 14th, 2019

Courtesy: (2DPAO, 2ID, PA)

RIZAL, Philippines — Three members of the New People’s Army (NPA) terrorist group were killed in an encounter with the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) in the town of Mansalay in Oriental Mindoro province.

The encounter took place on Thursday afternoon (June 13) and lasted for almost two hours.

According to BGen. Marceliano Teofilo, the commander of the 203rd Infantry Brigade which has operational jurisdiction over Mindoro Province, they received information from concerned citizen that the NPA terrorists in the area will conduct training to their newly recruited members of which some were believed to be minors.

“This prompted us to conduct Focused Military Operation (FMO) and our troops were able to locate their whereabouts, and fire fight broke,” Teofilo said.

The military also recovered three M16 rifles; one AK-47; one cal.45 with 2 magazines; one grenade launcher tube; two improvised explosive devices (IED) and switch; three blasting caps; two cellphones; and assorted kinds of ammunitions at the encounter site.

According to the report, one soldier from the Army’s 4IB was slightly wounded in the left ear but is now in safe condition.

Lt.Col. Alexander Arbolado, Battalion Commander of the 4IB said they already dispatched additional troops and K9 units to track the whereabouts of the retreating rebels.

“We will not let them go until they are totally destroyed,” he said.

BGen. Teofilo calls on the NPA rebels to surrender or else “suffer the fate of their comrades” as the military will not stop in pursuing them.

Meanwhile, Army’s 2nd Infantry Division spokesperson Capt. Patrick Jay Retumban said “the intel community is now validating the reports that an NPA Commander was slain during the encounter”.

If it’s true, BGen. Teofilo said it would be a major blow to the NPA rebel unit in Mindoro.

“Their days are numbered and in just a matter of time the NPA here will be on the verge of collapse due to their numerous setbacks in armed encounters and snowballing of surrenderees,” he noted.

Tags: , , , , , ,

AFP foils NPA extortion, seizes arms cache in Rizal

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Monday, May 20th, 2019

Courtesy: AFP-2DPAO

RIZAL, Philippines — Elements of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) 80IB recovered assorted fire arms and ammunition during an intelligence operation against members of the New People’s Army (NPA) in the province last week.

According to the information from 202nd Brigade spokesperson and 2DPAO Chief Army Capt. Patrick Jay Retumban, soldiers were able to seize three firearms, five hand grenades and a rifle grenade in Sitio Batangasan, Barangay San Andres in the municipality of Tanay on Thursday (May 16).

80IB Commander Lt. Col. Christopher Diaz reported that “the war materiels belong to the terrorists’ extortion group who were targeting the farms in the area and, for the longest time, have been threatening the people of Tanay,”

“Your soldiers are, and will always be, ready to respond to any NPA terroristic actions,” Diaz assured the public while asking for the community’s continued support, cooperation and vigilance.

Meanwhile, Acting Commander (2ID) BGen. Elias Escarcha lauded the success of the troops’ operations against the NPA terrorists branded “enemies of the state”.

“The fact that the NPA terrorists left these war materiel as they tried to leave the area in a hurry is a manifestation of the NPA’s prevailing fear upon the government’s military might and their diminished will to fight,” Escarcha said.

202IB Commander BGen. Arnulfo Marcelo Burgos Jr, who has jurisdiction over CALABARZON, commended the operation saying “this accomplishment is a product of our former rebel engagements” wherein those who surrendered “actively participate in the government’s campaign against the NPA terrorists”. – Marje Pelayo (with details from Jennica Cruz / 2DPAO)

Tags: , ,

6 dead, 9 injured in Calbiga, Samar ambush

by Aileen Cerrudo   |   Posted on Tuesday, April 23rd, 2019

Six members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) were killed while nine were injured during an ambush by suspected members of the New People’s Army (NPA) in Calbiga, Samar on Tuesday morning (April 23).

Members of the 46 Infantry Battalion (46-IB) were ambushed around 2:50 a.m. with the use of an improvised explosive device (IED) or a landmine which exploded in the area between Barangay Daligan and Barangay Baluan.

According to initial information of 46-IB, they were conducting a community support program when suspected NPA members waylaid their troops.

The 46-IB added that the encounter between the AFP and suspected rebel group continues. — Aileen Cerrudo

Tags: , ,