Novel coronavirus deaths spike to over 1,000 in China

Marje Pelayo   •   February 11, 2020   •   611

CHINA – The number of deaths from 2019 novel coronavirus has breached the 1,000 mark, according to the latest report from China Global Television Network (CGTN).

Earlier on Tuesday (February 11), Chinese health authorities reported an additional 108 deaths overnight, pushing the total number of fatalities in China to 1,016 while confirmed cases also spiked to 42,638.

Officials are expected to provide the exact count throughout the day.

Outside mainland China, there are more than 300 other confirmed cases with one confirmed death recorded in the Philippines and one in Hong Kong.

Over the weekend, 2019-nCoV surpassed the number of deaths by severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) which killed only 774 individuals during the 2003 outbreak that originated in southern China.

On Monday, Chinese President Xi Jinping visited treatment facilities for nCoV patients in Beijing.

The Chinese leader also spoke to medical workers in Wuhan City, the epicenter of the virus, via video conferencing.

China’s state television CCTV said Xi emphasized resolutely winning the fight against novel coronavirus which he dubbed as the “people’s war.”

Meanwhile in Wuhan City, authorities are combing communities to locate every confirmed or suspected patient and bring them under proper treatment.

TAGS   ,

Death toll in Cagayan Valley due to the typhoon reaches 30

Aileen Cerrudo   •   November 18, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — Death toll in Cagayan Valley due to Typhoon Ulysses has reached 30 according to the Office of Civil Defense Region II.

The region also recorded 14 casualties from a landslide; 13 from drowning and three from electrocution. Thirteen of the casualties were from Cagayan, 10 from Nueva Vizcaya, five from Isabela, and 2 were from Quirino.

Meanwhile, 10 roads and bridges remain closed in Tuguegarao City due to structural damage and flooding.

Clean-up drives are ongoing in the region as floodwaters brought by Ulysses continue to recede. AAC (with reports from Grace Doctolero)

Death toll from Typhoon Ulysses now at 37, NDRRMC confirms

Maris Federez   •   November 14, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The death toll due to Typhoon Ulysses has reached 37, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said Saturday.

NDRRMC spokesperson Mark Timbal, in a message sent to reporters, further reported that twenty-two people were injured while 15 remain missing.

Timbal said, of the 37 fatalities, 20 were from Region II (Cagayan Valley), six from Region 4-A (Calabarzon), five in Region V (Bicol Region), and six in Region I-A or the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR).

Of the 22 injured, three were from Region III (Central Luzon), nine from Calabarzon, eight in Region V, and two in CAR.

Of the 15 missing, two were from Calabarzon, eight from the Bicol Region, and five from CAR.

Meanwhile, damage in agriculture in regions I, II, III, Calabarzon, V, and CAR was estimated at P999.8 million.

Damage to infrastructure, on the other hand, was estimated at P253 million. This was recorded in Region I and in Region IV-B (Mimaropa). — /mbmf

Death toll from Ulysses onslaught climbs to 14 – DILG

Robie de Guzman   •   November 13, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The number of fatalities due to Typhoon Ulysses has risen to 14, Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año said Friday.

No details have been provided yet on which areas the fatalities were from and their cause of death.

According to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (NDRRMC) the reported number of casualties they received are still being validated.

Police earlier said the death toll from the typhoon is at 26 while the military said its teams have found more than 30 bodies.

Año said three persons were reported missing while more than 38,000 people were rescued from their flooded homes.

Over 100,000 families are currently staying in evacuation centers and are being served by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) and local government units.

The DSWD also reported that it has distributed family food packs and other non-food items to affected families in Quezon City, Marikina, Region 2, CALABARZON, and Bicol.

The Department of Public Works and Highways, meanwhile, reported that Typhoon Ulysses left at least P4.2 billion in damages to infrastructure.

The department also said that clearing operations are ongoing to immediately open at least 53 roads that were closed due to landslide and flooding incidents. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Harlene Delgado)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.