Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

North and South Korean leaders shake hands at the border

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Friday, April 27th, 2018

Kim holding Moon’s hand as both step across to the North Korea side of the border (REUTERS)

Smiling and shaking hands, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korean President Moon Jae-in met at the heavily fortified demilitarized zone between the countries on Friday (April 27,) in the first summit for the two Koreas in over a decade.

Moon greeted Kim at the military demarcation line at 9:30 a.m. (0030 GMT), making Kim the first North Korean leader to set foot in the South since the 1950-53 Korean War.

Kim invited Moon to step briefly across the demarcation line into North Korea, before the two leaders crossed back into South Korea holding hands.

The two were handed flowers by a South Korean boy and girl, residents of a village situated in the demilitarized zone. – Reuters

Tags: , , ,

North Korea deemed ‘extraordinary threat’ in Trump missile defense review

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Friday, January 18th, 2019

US President Donald Trump speaking in Arlington, Virgina, United States on January 17, 2019 | Reuters

U.S. President Donald Trump unveiled a revamped U.S. missile defense strategy on Thursday (January 17) that singles out North Korea as an ongoing and “extraordinary threat,” seven months after he declared the threat posed by Pyongyang had been eliminated.

The Missile Defense Review is a sweeping examination of efforts to shield the United States from enemy missiles. It highlights concerns about advancing capabilities by North Korea, Iran, Russia and China.

“While a possible new avenue to peace now exists with North Korea, it continues to pose an extraordinary threat and the United States must remain vigilant,” the report said.

For Trump, who is trying to revive efforts to persuade North Korea to abandon its nuclear arsenal, the report’s release came at an awkward moment. A senior North Korean envoy was headed for Washington on Thursday for expected talks with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and a possible encounter with Trump, a person familiar with the matter said.

Their talks, as well as a potential meeting with the president, could lead to an announcement of plans for a second U.S.-North Korea summit, the source told Reuters.

The Missile Defense Review recommended studying experimental technologies, including prospects for space-based weaponry that might be able to shoot down enemy missiles, a throwback to Ronald Reagan’s “Star Wars” initiative in the 1980s.

It also called for investments in space-based sensors that can better detect and track incoming missiles, and perhaps counter super-fast hypersonic technology, an area in which China has made major advances.

U.S. military officials have said U.S. missile defenses are primarily designed to counter attacks from countries with more limited arsenals, like North Korea, which U.S. intelligence officials believe is still advancing its nuclear program despite a halt to missile launches last year.

Pentagon officials contend that U.S. missiles defenses are too few to be able to counter a first-strike on the U.S. homeland by a major nuclear power like Russia or China. Washington hopes those countries will instead be deterred from attacks by America’s nuclear arsenal. — Reuters

Tags: , ,

Mixed waste shipment returns to South Korea

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Monday, January 14th, 2019

Containers of mixed waste materials shipped from South Korea to the Philippines
Containers of mixed waste materials shipped from South Korea to the Philippines

MANILA, Philippines – The initial 51 containers of mixed waste materials were already shipped back to Pyeongtaek City in South Korea on Sunday (January 13) after it was deferred from its original schedule on January 9.

Members of the Bureau of Customs (BOC) facilitated the return of the shipments which arrived in the country in October 2018 via Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental.

According to Mindanao International Container Terminal (MICT) port collector John Simon, the containers are expected to arrive South Korea between January 19 and 20.

Meanwhile, the BOC targets to finish at the soonest possible time the return of the remaining trash shipment which were dumped at Barangay Sta. Cruz in the town of Tagoloan.

“Ibinigay na natin ang re-exportation documents. They are now obligated to send it back to South Korea,” Simon said.

“Ito ang pinakamabilis na proseso sa kasaysayan ng Pilipinas after 15 days. The last time that we talked with the Korean government, it was the 28th of December. So 15 days after, wala na. Tanggal na dito,” he further noted.

However, the Ecowaste Coaltion argued that the issue must not end with the return of the trash shipment to South Korea.

The group stressed that the investigation should push through to find out how the said garbage shipments entered the country so that authorities can eventually pin those responsible for the it.

According to Aileen Lucero, the group’s national coordinator, it is also high time to revise the law and totally ban the importation of waste materials.

“Ang isang magandang magiging epekto nyan, kung meron tayong ban ng import ng waste yung sa atin na basura yun na ang ire-recycle at sabi nga tataas ang employment,” Lucero said.

The UNTV News and Rescue team, meanwhile, sought the side of the shipment’s consignee Verde Soko.

However, the staff present on site refused to grant media interview. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Raymond Octubre)

Tags: ,

Return of waste shipment to S. Korea deferred to January 13

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, January 9th, 2019

FILE PHOTO: The mixed waste materials from South Korea

MANILA, Philippines – The supposed shipment of mixed waste materials back to its origin in South Korea did not push through on the scheduled date Wednesday (January 9).

According to Mindanao International Container Terminal (MICT) port collector John Simon, the arrival of the cargo ship on which the garbage-filled containers will be loaded has been reset to Saturday (January 13).

Both the governments of the Philippines and South Korea shouldered the shipping expenses for the return of the waste shipment to Pyeongcheck from where it originated.

Meanwhile, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still investigating the consignee of the shipment Verde Soko Philippines.

Simon assured that the government will do the best it can to pursue those responsible for the illegal shipment.

“Ang Bureau of Customs bilang law enforcement agency ay ipatutupad ang batas, ang batas ay bawal sa ating ang ganyang klaseng kargamento kaya tayo ay may kapangyarihan para sila at paalisin sa bayan natin.” Simon said. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Grace Casin)

Tags: , ,