No water in 20 QC villages due to emergency leak repairs – Manila Water
Robie de Guzman • May 23, 2019 • 1263
The Manila Water Co. announced on Thursday that 20 villages in Quezon City will experience temporary water service interruptions as it undertakes emergency leak repairs.
In an advisory posted on its Facebook page, Manila Water said the joint leak repair and pipe interconnection/relocation at the Elliptical Road in Quezon City was due to an accidental breakage on a major pipeline caused by one of the Department of Public Works and Highways’ (DPWH) contractors.
“Due to an accidental breakage caused by a DPWH contractor, damaging our major pipeline at Elliptical Road corner Commonwealth Avenue (northbound) in Quezon City, Manila Water is currently undertaking emergency leak repairs which will result in temporary water service interruption,” the advisory read.
The water distributor said the repair works is expected to be completed on May 24 (Friday) at 6 a.m.
Affected villages are listed below:
Old Capitol Site
Teachers Village East
Teachers Village West
The Manila Water said the water service interruption will affect 242,000 people in 44,056 households, commercial and business establishments.
“The interconnection of the new 900mm relocated pipeline at Elliptical Road corner North Avenue, which was previously planned for May 24 to 25, will also be undertaken at the same time to minimize impact to the affected customers,” it added.
The Manila Water advised affected residents to store enough water as some of these areas may still experience service interruptions even after the restoration “due to the still-limited raw water supply.”
The Quezon City Task Force for Transport and Traffic Management has launched ‘Bayanihan sa Lansangan’ which will dispatch more buses in Commonwealth Avenue.
Aside from the severe traffic, there are also not enough buses for an estimated 30,000 – 40,000 commuters in the area.
Rene Hanolino, one of the commuters, said he spends time just waiting for a bus ride every morning.
“Mga 15 minutes, pinakamatagal na sa akin iyon, pag-aabang. Kasi talagang madami namang pasahero. Tiyaga lang naman (Around 15 minutes, that is the longest time I’ve waited because there are a lot of passengers. It takes patience),” he said.
During the first day of the implementation on Tuesday (Aug 20), authorities directed the passengers to where they should wait for buses.
Traffic czar of Quezon City Task Force For Transport And Traffic Management Ariel Inton said the heavy crowd of passengers waiting for a ride have begun to block the roads.
“Sa dami nila, bumabara sa mga private vehicles. Iyong mga bus naman, sinasalubong nila kasi dumadating dito iyong mga bus, punuan na (Because of their sheer number, they block the private vehicles. Other passengers try to get ahead by catching the bus before it reaches the stop, so its already full by the time it gets there ),” he said.
Inton added that the ‘Bayanihan sa Lansangan’ will be able to provide enough buses for passengers.—AAC (with reports from Asher Cadapan Jr.)
Even before the 60-day deadline set by the Department of the Interior and Local Government, Marikina City has cleared 100 percent of the streets and sidewalks in the city.
“Ang ginagawa ng Marikina ngayon ay maintenance na. Based on the assesment sa compliance team ng DILG sa Marikina complied na ang Marikina at tapos na ang Marikina sa clearing of sidewalks and road ways [What Marikina is doing now is maintenance. Based on the assessment of the DILG compliance team, Marikina has complied with the clearing of sidewalks and road ways],” Mayor Marcy Teodoro said.
The DILG ordered the local government to submit a report stating the measures they took to clear the roads and sidewalks.
DILG Secretary Eduardo Ano said that what the Marikina City is doing, and even what it has done in the past, is worth emulating.
“Ang maganda sa Marikina paglabas mo ng bangketa hindi na sayo yan, pagaari na ng publiko yan kaya walang hari ng bangketa dun. Kaya dapat masundan natin ginawa ng Marikina [What is great about Marikina is that once you step out to the sidewalk, it’s not part of your property anymore. It’s owned by the public so no one can be a bully and own it. So we really need to follow what Marikina has done],” Ano added.
Meanwhile, the Quezon City government has cleaned up 80 barangays in the past three weeks since the DILG ordered it.
QC mayor Joy Belmonte said it was a tall order for them to maintain the roads and the sidewalks free from obstruction.
To address this, the local government will implement a stricter policy against illegal parking.
“Mag pi-print tayo ng maraming violation tickets. Tiket lang ng ticket. Tingin ko that is a good solution para masanay sila. Kung magviolate sila ng mag violate eh seryoso tayo ipenalized sila. [We will print many violation tickets. We will issue tickets left and right. I think that is a good solution for them to get used to it. If they will violate repeatedly, we will show them we are serious to penalize them], Belmonte said.
“Nagpabili na rin ako ng maraming wheel clamping devices para mag wheel clamping na tayo [I have also ordered to purchase as many wheel-clamping devices so we can already do wheel clamping (on vehicles)],” she added.
As she promised last week, the QC government demolished the barangay hall of Damayang Lagi in a clearing operation conducted on Friday, together with the DILG and the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA).
Dmayang Lagi officials are now temporarily holding office at an improvised container van.
Belmonte said they still need to demolish 17 more barangay halls in the entire city to decongest the streets.
The group also destroyed a police traffic sector in Balintawak as it causes traffic congestion in the area.
The DILG will once again meet with the metro mayors for the assessment of their clearing operations and identify areas that are yet to be developed by the local governments. (from the report of Joan Nano) /mbmf
MANILA, Philippines – The Maynilad Water Services has announced a schedule of temporary water service interruptions in parts of Metro Manila from August 20 (Tuesday) to August 21 (Wednesday).
In an advisory, Maynilad said the water service disruption slated from August 20 at 6 p.m. to August 21 at 6 a.m. will affect several areas of Manila, Caloocan, Malabon, and Navotas.
The west zone water concessionaire said the service interruption is due to maintenance activities aimed at improving water services.
Below is the list of affected barangays and their corresponding supply interruption schedules:
Barangay 124 to 127
Barangay 129 to 146
Dalagang Bukid East/C3
Barangay North Bay Blvd.
San Rafael Village
Maynilad urged its customers to store water at least three days before the scheduled interruption to prevent simultaneous heavy withdrawals of water from its pipelines, which can reduce water pressure and cause some customers to have no water earlier than scheduled.
The water concessionaire assured water tankers will be on standby to deliver water to affected areas as needed.
Upon resumption of water service, customers are also advised to let the water flow out for a few seconds until the water clears.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.