Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

No need for birth certificates in renewal of passports — DFA

by admin   |   Posted on Wednesday, January 16th, 2019

Philippine passport

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Foreign Affairs issued a new order removing the submission of birth certificates in the renewal of passports.

In a tweet, Foreign Affairs Secretary Teddy Locsin Jr. said that the presentation of the old passport is “more than sufficient” when applying for a new one.

The new directive comes amid the data breach controversy hounding the department wherein its former passport printing contractor allegedly ran off with the personal information of passport holders.

The new DFA order however, states that presentation of birth certificate is still required for the following conditions:

  • First-time passport applicants
  • Applicants whose names appear on the DFA’s watchlist
  • Renewal of lost or damaged passports
  • Renewal of passport due to name change
  • Renewal of brown passports, green passports, machine readable passports (maroon) or any older passports

In an interview, Sec. Locsin asked for the public’s understanding while the department is sorting the data breach issue.

Locsin posted on Twitter that passport data is not “run-away-able” but made inaccessible.

He added that the current passport printing contractor, APO Production Unit Incorporated, assured him that they were able to access the data but most of it are already corrupted.

Former DFA secretary Perfecto Yasay had earlier said that Locsin was “misinformed” and his accusations against the former contractor are false and malicious. — Joan Nano | UNTV News and Rescue

Tags: , , , ,

Search continues for two Filipino tourists missing in Thailand — DFA

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Friday, July 19th, 2019

Image by Arek Socha from Pixabay

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) confirmed that two Filipino tourists went missing at Freedom Beach in Phuket, Thailand on Tuesday (July 17).

The DFA through the Philippine Embassy in Bangkok said it is actively monitoring the case after the Royal Thai Police and a group of Filipino tourists notified them of the incident.

According to Ambassador to Thailand Mary Jo Bernardo-Aragon, the Embassy immediately made representations with the Thai Police and coordinated with the Filipinos upon receipt of the report.

According to reports, the two Filipinos were at the beach playing in the sea during a heavy storm, when they were swept away and have not been seen since then.

The Embassy assured rescue operations by authorities is ongoing.

The Embassy continues to coordinate with the authorities on the case, as well as respond to the needs of the Filipino family and friends of the two missing Filipinos.

Tags: , , , , ,

Lacson thinks execution by firing squad ‘too brutal’

by Aileen Cerrudo   |   Posted on Wednesday, July 10th, 2019

The execution by firing squad, proposed by Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, would be ‘too brutal’ according to Senator Panfilo Lacson.

Lacson, who also filed his own version of the bill reimposing death penalty, prefers death by lethal injection.

READ: Bato dela Rosa wants death by firing squad for convicted drug traffickers

However, Lacson agrees that Dela Rosa has a point on public execution.

“Medyo brutal naman masyado ([firing squad] would be too brutal), although experience would tell us in [1973], Lim Seng, when he was publicly executed through firing squad, almost gone, almost nil, if not totally nawala ang problem ng drugs (the drug problem went away)” he said.

Meanwhile, Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Teddy Locsin Jr. opposes the reimposing death penalty.

In his Twitter post, Locsin said death penalty only ‘degrades society’.

“I’m against the death penalty. Doesn’t work; just creates an illusion of severity criminals see through easily. Scares nobody. It just degrades society by making everyone complicit in a capital error of miscarried justice. EJK is a crime of the cop; judicial killing is our crime,” the post reads.—AAC

Tags: , , ,

Three Filipino tourists jailed in Hong Kong

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Wednesday, July 3rd, 2019

Courtesy : Photoville International

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) confirmed giving assistance to three Filipino tourists who were sentenced to five-month imprisonment in Hong Kong for using forged documents.

According the DFA, the three call center employees were involved in a supposed “free Hong Kong tour” which turned out to be a scam.

They opened bank accounts, specifically with Bank of China and Standard Chartered Bank, using falsified documents.

Despite successfully opening an account, authorities suspected that the accounts were to be used for money laundering activities and so arrested the three when they returned to the bank.

“Consul General Antonio Morales reported that the Philippine Consulate General in Hong Kong has been providing in-kind support and legal advice to the three Filipinos, including jail visits to ascertain their condition,” the DFA said.

Sentenced on February 18, the three Filipinos pleaded guilty to two counts of “using a false instrument” before the Hong Kong Magistrates’ Courts.

For this, Morales said the three are expected to be released in March after serving a reduced sentence for admitting the offense.

Tags: , , , , ,