No harassment of Filipino fishermen near Pag-asa Island—AFP

Aileen Cerrudo   •   March 7, 2019   •   2138

Photo credit: Rogz Necesito, Jr. | PVI

There are no reported complaints of harassment from the Filipino fishermen near Pag-asa Island according to the Armed Forces of the Philippines Western Command (AFP WESCOM).

AFP WESCOM Spokesperson Capt. Cherryl Tindog said the troops of Joint Task Force West are in constant communication with the fishermen, and according to the task force, they have not received any reports of harassment.

They also added that the claims of Kalayaan Mayor Roberto del Mundo on China’s alleged harassment of fishermen at Sandy Cay had no basis.

WESCOM also showed a satellite image plotting the locations of monitored fishing vessels in the Philippines along the Pag-asa island from January 1, 2018 to March 5, 2019.

WESCOM continues to encourage local fishermen to continue their activities in the area.

Department of National Defense (DND) Secretary Delfin Lorenzana previously ordered the AFP to verify the report of Kalayaan Mayor Roberto Del Mundo about China harassing Filipino fishermen in Sandy Cay. —Aileen Cerrudo (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

READ: DND orders AFP to confirm reported harassment of Filipino fishermen near Pag-asa Island

AFP seeks to further strengthen assets following Chinese warships’ ‘incursion’ in PH waters

Robie de Guzman   •   August 20, 2019

Philippine Navy warship, BRP Conrado Yap (PS 39), donated by South Korean government, docks at Port of Manila, Philippines, 20 August 2019​. According to reports, the BRP Conrado Yap (PS-39), the former South Korean ‘Pohang’-class corvette ‘Chungju’, is the most heavily-armed and powerful​ surface combatant of the Philippine Navy (PN) to date. The vessel was named after Captain Conrado Yap, a decorated Filipino soldier who was part of t​he Philippine Expeditionary Forces to Korea during the 1950s.

MANILA, Philippines – The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is seeking to further strengthen its naval and aerial assets following the series of uncoordinated passages of Chinese warships in the country’s waters.

AFP Western Mindanao Command spokesperson Maj. Arvin John Encinas said they have already filed a proposal to intensify naval operations in their area after several Chinese ships were spotted passing through Philippine waters without notifying local authorities.  

“Nagsubmit ng proposal na palakasin pa ang naval units dito sa area ng WESMINCOM upang sa ganun nga upang ma-address ang issues particularly dito sa maritime domain natin as far as security is concerned,” he said.

(A proposal has been submitted seeking to strengthen naval units in the WESMINCOM area in order to address the issues, particularly in our maritime domain as far as security is concerned.)

The AFP earlier reported that at least five Chinese naval ships sailed through Sibutu Strait in Tawi-Tawi without prior coordination.

Based on their monitoring, five Chinese ships with bow numbers 998, 964, 195, 853 and 536 had been seen navigating the area between July and August.

The AFP said that aside from the said period, they have also spotted Chinese ships passing through the channel without permission since February.

The military said the vessels ignored radio communications from Philippine patrols.

The Sibutu Strait separates Sulu archipelago from Borneo.

Although considered an international sea lane where foreign vessels have the right of innocent passage, customary maritime law requires warships to coordinate with the coastal state beforehand.

The military said these ships could not claim innocent passage as they took a curved course and not a straight line.

“These previous months mayroon na tayong namomonitor na warships ng China kung kaya’t tuloy-tuloy po ang ginawang monitoring at patrolling ng ating Navy vessels at the same time, ‘yung ating Coast Guard diyan sa Sibutu Passage diyan natin nakikita lagi itong mga warship ng China,” Encinas said.

(These previous months, we have monitored Chinese warships in the area prompting continued monitoring and patrolling operations by our Navy vessels, at the same time, our Coast Guard in the Sibutu Passage where Chinese warships were spotted.)

Encinas added they have also informed the military national leaders on the monitored incursions to engage with their counterparts on the issue.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) earlier ordered the filing of a diplomatic protest regarding the Chinese warships clear act of trespassing. (with contributions from UNTV correspondent Dante Amento)

Locsin orders filing of diplomatic protest vs Chinese warships sighted in Sibutu Strait

Maris Federez   •   August 19, 2019

Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. has ordered the filing of diplomatic protest regarding the Chinese warships that were seen in Sibutu Strait.

On his twitter post, Locsin said that what the Chinese warships did was a clear act of trespassing.

Based on the report of the Armed Forces of the Philippines Western Mindanao Command (AFP-WMC), two Chinese warships were spotted in Sibutu Strait in July and three this August.

The DFA chief said it is but rightful for the country to file another diplomatic protest as China had once again encroached on the Philippine seas. (with reports from Aiko Miguel) /mbmf

AFP rewards informants aiding arrest of NPA leaders

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 16, 2019

An informant waits while AFP officials load bundles of reward money amounting to millions of pesos into his backpack.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has rewarded five informants for aiding in the arrest of five leaders of the New People’s Army (NPA).

The five informants received over P14 million reward from the AFP and the Philippine National Police (PNP).

“The AFP is grateful to all informants whose help and cooperation has become vital in the neutralization of these criminals who were responsible for heinous and atrocious crimes against the people and our nation,” he said.

According to AFP Chief of Staff Gen. Benjamin Madrigal, the reward system is a huge help in curbing terrorism.

Madrigal, meanwhile, calls on the public to also help authorities fight terrorism by reporting any suspicious activities in their area.—AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.