No Filipinos in Bangladesh hijacking attempt – DFA
by Marje Pelayo | Posted on Monday, February 25th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) confirmed on Monday (February 25) that no Filipinos were on board the Biman Bangladesh flight that made an emergency landing following a hijacking incident on Sunday (February 24).
The DFA, citing a report from the Philippine Embassy in Dhaka, Flight BG-147 bound for Dubai made an emergency landing at Chattogram airport after an armed passenger attempted to hijack the plane minutes after takeoff.
The DFA on its bulletin said Bangladeshi Civil Aviation and Tourism Office Secretary Mohibul Haque, all 142 passengers were safely evacuated from the aircraft.
According to a report from Reuters, Bangladeshi commandoes stormed the plane and shot the suspect who had said he had a personal issue with his wife and told the pilot he wanted to speak to Bangladesh’s Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina,
He died later from the injuries suffered.
Before the commandos moved in, all 142 passengers were safely evacuated from the aircraft, the officials said. — Marje Pelayo / Reuters
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Friday, May 17th, 2019
More Filipinos in war-torn Libya will be repatriated to the Philippines, Philippine Chargè d’Affaires Elmer Cato said on Friday.
In a post on Twitter, Cato said 11 more Filipinos have been evacuated from the Libyan capital of Tripoli, bringing the number of Filipinos aided by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) officials to 55 since the latest conflict erupted last month.
“Another 11 of our kababayan were evacuated from Tripoli this morning by @PhinLibya, bringing to 55 the number of Filipinos assisted by @DFAPHL and @doleph in returning to the Philippines since latest conflict in Libya broke out on 4 April,” Cato said.
The DFA recently enforced a mandatory evacuation of Filipino workers in Tripoli and other areas within a 100-kilometer radius from the capital.
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Thursday, May 16th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – The order of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) to recall the Philippine ambassador and consuls to Canada is a warning that the diplomatic relations between the two countries may be severed over a garbage spat, the Malacañang said on Thursday.
This was after the Canadian government missed the May 15 deadline to take back tons of trash it sent to Manila several years ago.
DFA Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. said the recall order was to “maintain a diminished diplomatic presence in Canada until its garbage is ship bound there.”
“The fact alone that Secretary Locsin has recalled our diplomats there shows that not only are we serious, we are already warning them, we’re gonna severe diplomatic relations,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo told reporters at a press briefing.
Panelo added that the recall order for envoys aims to urge the Canadian government to expedite the garbage shipment process.
“That order of the recall is to persuade them to make it fast. The more the delay, the more personnel will be coming back,” he said.
Panelo on Wednesday said there might be a slight delay in shipping out the Canadian garbage due to the processing of documents. He had then surmised that the shipment of the trash might begin in “one to two weeks.”
The Canadian government earlier agreed to pay for the expenses in shipping out all 69 waste containers it had dumped in the Philippines in 2013 following a stern warning issued by President Rodrigo Duterte last month.
by Marje Pelayo | Posted on Wednesday, May 8th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has advised the public that it will no longer issue authentication certificates starting Tuesday next week.
This is in accordance with the Apostille Convention on Authentication of Documents that will take effect in the Philippines on May 14, 2019.
“After authentication by the DFA, there is no more need for authentication (legalization) by the concerned Foreign Embassies or Consulates General if the country or territory of destination of the authenticated document is already a member of the Apostille Convention,” DFA said in an advisory Tuesday (May 7).
Instead, the agency will affix an “Apostille” or a certificate giving a public document a legal effect for use in other countries.
Meanwhile, documents issued in Apostille member countries and territories (except Austria, Finland, Germany and Greece) which will be used in the Philippines no longer need authentication from Philippine Embassy or Consulate General once Apostillized.
The DFA clarified, however, that public documents coming from countries and territories not part of the Apostille Convention need to undergo the previous authentication process.
“Documents still have to be authenticated by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate General before they can be used in the Philippines,” the advisory said.
“Also, there is still a need for authentication (legalization) by the concerned Foreign Embassies or Consulates General if the country of destination of the authenticated document is not yet a member of the Apostille Convention,” it added.
Authentication fees will remain at P100 for regular processing and P200 for expedited processing per document. – Marje Pelayo
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.