Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

NHA clarifies ‘misquoted’ cost of wooden footbridge in Zamboanga project

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Wednesday, May 9th, 2018

ZAMBO BRIDGE COLLAPSE: A bridge mishap at a housing site in Zamboanga (Courtesy of EMEDIAMO)

 

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines – The National Housing Authority (NHA) denied Wednesday, May 9, that the wooden footbridge in Zamboanga City that collapsed during the visitation of housing officials in April costs P12 million.

According to Engineer Al Indanan, the bridge’s project manager and NHA’s district manager in Zamboanga, House Committee on Housing and Urban Development Chair Representative Alfredo Benitez was “misquoted.”

“I think they were just misquoted on that. The 12 million is for the whole 2,000-meter foot bridge…not the damaged portion,” Indanan explained.

Benitez mentioned in a congressional hearing last week that the wooden footbridge was way too expensive.

Indanan added that each linear meter of the project costs P6,000  thus the entire stretch costs P12 million.

Nevertheless, NHA Zamboanga said they are willing to face probe in Congress in line with the mishap.

The agency and the city council met Tuesday to discuss the overall cost of the wooden bridge, the plan for its repair and the action they will take against the contractor of the bridge.

“We will have to make the contractor liable. The liability is on the contractor,” Indanan concluded. — Dante Amento | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: ,

Dengue cases in Zamboanga Peninsula up by 81%

by Aileen Cerrudo   |   Posted on Monday, March 18th, 2019

Dengue cases in Zamboanga Peninsula rose to 81 percent, according to the Department of Health (DOH) 9. Cases had reached 1,743 from January 1 to March 7, 2019.

Based on the report of the DOH 9, Zamboanga City reported 719 dengue cases, a 213% increase compared to the same period last year which recorded 230 cases. Zamboanga del Norte, on the other hand, recorded 499 cases which is a 222 percent increase from last year’s 155 cases.

Meanwhile, Zamboanga Sibugay recorded 175 dengue cases; Isabela City , Basilan, 99 cases; and Zamboanga Del Sur with 251.

READ: DOH: even a little water can serve as breeding ground for mosquitoes

The DOH reminds residents to implement the 4-S campaign against dengue and work on controlling the mosquito population.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III previously said, “The first step to prevent dengue is within our homes. It is important to remove any space or container that can hold unnecessary stagnant water which may become breeding sites for mosquitoes.”—Aileen Cerrudo

Tags: , , ,

Mosque explosion an isolated case – Zamboanga Police

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Thursday, January 31st, 2019

The bodies of 2 killed in the grenade blast in Masjid Jutay in Barangay Talon-Talon in Zamboanga City. (PNP Region 9 Office)

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines – Authorities believe that the grenade attack on a mosque in the city, which killed two people and injured four others, is an isolated case.

Authorities suspect that it stemmed from a personal grudge because the victims were not residents of the place and perhaps the suspects as well.

It could also be politics, the police said, since one of the victims was a barangay councilman in the town of Basilan.

“I-che-check po natin. May kaalitan ba sila doon? Politically inclined ba ang mga persons (involved)? Makikipag-coordinate po tayo,” assured ZCPO Spokesperson PCInsp. Shellamie Chang. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Dante Amento)

Tags: ,

BOC execs in Zamboanga suspended over missing rice

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Tuesday, October 9th, 2018

 

Zamboanga City Mayor Maria Isabelle Climaco-Salazar and Zamboanga District Collector Atty. Lyceo C. Martinez | Photo via Zamboanga City Government Facebook page

 

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines – District Collector Atty. Lyceo Martinez and other officials of the Bureau of Customs (BOC) Zamboanga District were suspended on Tuesday (October 9) over thousands of sacks of rice that remains missing.

The rice supply was turned over to the BOC after the seizure operation.

Martinez has an existing charges of gross neglect of duty, grave misconduct and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of service prior to his suspension.

His co-accused are District Commander of the Customs Police Filomeno Salazar and two others.

The BOC continues to investigate where the missing goods were possibly delivered. – UNTV News and Rescue

Tags: , ,