Newborn baby in Cebu tests positive for COVID-19

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 22, 2020   •   548

A newborn baby in Cebu City has tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), according to the Department of Health (DOH) Region 7.

On Tuesday (April 21), the DOH Region 7 reported that the newborn is among the seven new COVID-19 cases in Cebu City, increasing the total number to 173.

The regional department also reported that they have yet to determine how the infant got infected with the virus since the mother tested negative for the viral disease.

Meanwhile, the DOH Region 7 advises pregnant women to stay home, avoid crowds, and always wear protective masks in case they need to leave the house.

Central Visayas has a total of 203 COVID-19 cases as of Tuesday. The highest is in Cebu with 173, followed by Lapu-Lapu City with 13 cases, and Mandaue City with 9 cases. AAC (with reports from Gladys Toabi)

TAGS   ,

Cebu, Mandaue and Zamboanga cities placed under GCQ starting June 1

Marje Pelayo   •   June 1, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — Aside from Metro Manila, several areas have also been placed also under general community quarantine (GCQ) for 15 days starting Monday (June 1).

Based on the latest announcement by Presidential Spokesperson Secretary Harry Roque, these areas include the entire Region VII or Central Visayas particularly Cebu City and Mandaue City as well as Zamboanga City in Mindanao.

The decision to place these areas under GCQ came after their local governments appealed to the Inter-Agency Task Force against COVID-19 for a reclassification of quarantine status.

These areas are in addition to the previously announced regions and localities which will be under GCQ starting June 1, namely the National Capital Region, Pangasinan, Regions II, III, IV-A and Davao City.

Meanwhile, all other areas not mentioned will be placed under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) starting next month. 

Therefore, starting Monday (June 1), two community quarantine measures will be implemented — the general community quarantine (GCQ) where most industries and economic sectors will be allowed to operate; and the modified general community quarantine (NGCQ) which is the last phase towards the transition to the ‘new normal.’ MNP (with details from Rosalie Coz)

DOH traces 26 Korean passengers of Cebu-bound flight amid coronavirus spread in South Korea

Robie de Guzman   •   February 27, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) on Thursday said it is now tracing passengers who arrived Tuesday in Cebu from north Gyeongsang province in South Korea, a day after the government imposed partial travel restrictions on the East Asian nation due to the spread of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) there.

The DOH issued the statement following reports that 26 South Koreans from Daegu landed at Mactan Cebu International Airport on Tuesday evening.

Daegu is among the areas covered by the Philippines’ temporary entry ban on travelers from north Gyeongsang, which was announced on Wednesday after South Korea reported increase in confirmed coronavirus infections.

DOH-7 regional director Jaime Bernadas said they are now working to locate the passengers, with the help of the Bureau of Quarantine and other local government agencies.

Bernadas said the passengers will be treated as persons under monitoring even if they are not manifesting symptoms of the deadly disease.   

“Susubaybayan natin sila kung saan sila pupunta, kung saan sila pumunta, kung saang hotel sila and advise the hotel kung nasaan sila at kung anong mga restrictions. Sa hotels, sa resorts, i-veverify natin ang kanilang whereabouts,” he said.

He also said that the travelers will not be placed under quarantine, but they will be advised to follow self-isolation protocol. They will also be brought to a hospital should they develop symptoms.

“Wala tayong advisory on doing the quarantine on them, i-momonitor lang natin sila muna. At kung may nararamdaman na sila, dadalhin na diretso sa ospital,” he said.

As of February 27, there are now 82,164 people infected with the virus.

Outside China, South Korea reported the highest number of confirmed coronavirus infections with more than 1,200 cases. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Gladys Toabi)

Duterte to visit tourist sites to boost tourism amid COVID-19 threat

Aileen Cerrudo   •   February 17, 2020

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte prepares to board a helicopter after gracing the inauguration of the Sangley Airport Development Project in Cavite City on February 15, 2020. ALBERT ALCAIN/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

President Rodrigo Duterte will visit popular tourist sites in the Philippines to promote local tourism amid the COVID-19 threat.

READ: It’s more fun in the Philippines: Duterte invites Filipinos to visit local tourism sites amid Covid-19 fears

The President may travel to Boracay, Cebu, and Bohol to attract more visitors and potentially make up for the losses of the current travel ban in China, Hong Kong, and Macau.

“He’s a magnet. His presence attracts people from attending an event,” according to Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo.

Department of Tourism (DOT) Usec. Art Boncato said they will schedule a trip as soon as possible.

“We’re of course lining up destinations like Boracay, Cebu for instance even Bohol, as the initial list of destinations for the president most probably visit within the next couple of weeks,” he said.

READ: Duterte asks local carriers, hotels to help boost PH tourism amid COVID-19 threat

Tourism industry stakeholders agreed to help boost domestic travel by offering discounted airfare and hotel rates following a meeting with President Duterte.

“Come with me and be my travel companion. I’ll be traveling around the Philippines. Pasyal tayo dito sa atin. Unahin natin ‘yung atin. Mabuhay ang Pilipino. Mabuhay ang turismo ng Pilipinas,” Duterte said on his video message.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.