New PRO-7 chief wants thorough investigation of Cebu mall robbery

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 22, 2019   •   753

PBGen. Val De Leon

The new Provincial Regional Office 7 chief PBGen. Val De Leon wants a thorough investigation on the recent robbery at a mall in Cebu on Saturday (October 19).

De Leon said they want to determine how the robbers were able to get inside a jewelry shop and take around P100 million worth of jewelries. He also wants to determine who should be accountable for the lack of security.

He said there should be a police inside the mall vicinity to immediately respond to the incident.

“Gusto kong paigtingin ang dragnet operation, (I want to heighten the dragnet operation)” he said.

Meanwhile, the Philippine National Police (PNP) reminds mall owners to tighten the security in their establishment especially during holiday season.

“Lalo pang pina-igting na security screening sa mga entrances, ang kinakailangan talaga ay masusing inspection ang mga dala-dalahan, (Tighten the security screening in entrances. What is needed is a thorough inspection of belongings)” he said.

Banac also reminds the public to cooperate during security checks to ensure the safety of everyone.

The PNP will install Police Assistance Desk in malls to assist in the security.—AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

Suspect arrested in robbery, gruesome death of toddler in Thailand

UNTV News   •   January 22, 2020

Thai police officers conduct an investigation next to the body of a victim at a crime scene after a robbery inside a department store in Lopburi province, Thailand, 09 January 2020 (issued 10 January 2020). EPA-EFE FILE/STR

By Lobsang DS Subirana

Bangkok –
Police said Wednesday they had arrested a man they suspect killed three people, among them a toddler, and injured another four during the robbery of a jewelry shop in a central province in Thailand.

Gen. Chakthip Chaijinda, a commissioner-general of the Royal Thai Police, confirmed the arrest of Prasittichai Khaokaew, a 39-year-old school director, who he said was linked to the gruesome incident at a Lopburi province shopping center earlier this month, footage of which went viral.

“The alleged offender has been questioned about his motives but details cannot be revealed at the moment since we have not finished the investigation process yet,” Chakthip said during a media briefing.

Prasittichai was arrested Wednesday morning after the criminal court issued an arrest warrant Tuesday evening.

Police did not reveal further details and said another press conference would be held at 10.30 am on Thursday at the Royal Thai Police Headquarters in the capital Bangkok, adding they would address the motives and official charges against the suspect.

“The alleged offender did not deny any of the charges,” the commissioner-general said. “He thought he wouldn’t be able to get away with it.”

Chakthip also said Prasittichai did not resist arrest and that he “accepted his own mistakes.”

Prasittichai teaches at Wat Phochai School, a primary school located in Singburi, a neighboring province of Lopburi. Local media said he was originally from Lopburi, but police did not confirm this.

Security camera footage from Jan. 10 shows how a man wearing a balaclava shoots at customers and staff while approaching the counter. He then gets on the counter and proceeds to walk up and down, before rummaging through valuables and making off with a handful of jewelry.

Police said the man, who was wielding a gun with a silencer, first shot at a security guard before proceeding with his rampage.

A separate video shows how a child walking by falls to the ground after sustaining a wound to the head before his mother takes him away to find cover. Authorities said the boy died at the hospital.

Out of the more than 10 million firearms in Thailand, only 6 million are legally registered, according to Australian monitoring organization GunPolicy.org. EFE-EPA

lds-ht/tw

NAPOLCOM favors third party investigation on 2013 ‘Agaw-Bato’ incident

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 10, 2019

FILE PHOTO: An operative from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) puts back methamphetamine inside a plastic bag during a presentation of seized drugs at the NBI headquarters in Manila, Philippines. EPA/MARK R. CRISTINO

The National Police Commission (NAPOLCOM) is in favor of having third party investigation on the 2013 ‘Agaw Bato’ incident in Pampanga.

Mas maganda kung may third party investigating para mawalan ng suspetsa na nagpapabaya o may nagtatakipan (It is better to have a third party investigating [the case] to remove suspicion of neglect or bias),” according to NAPOLCOM Vice Chairman Atty. Rogelio Casurao.

However, Casurao said they will wait for the results of the Senate hearing on the illegal drug recycling issue before releasing their recommendation.

“The timeline is for us to put the investigation in place immediately so that by the time, the matter of investigation of the Senate done, mayroon na rin siguro kaming [resulta] (we would also have our results),” he said.

NAPOLCOM also said they are prepared to accept new administrative cases against 13 alleged ‘ninja cops’ for recycling confiscated illegal drugs in 2013.

President Rodrigo Duterte previously ordered NAPOLCOM Chairman, and incumbent Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año to investigate the ‘Agaw Bato’ incident.—AAC (with reports from April Cenedoza)

PRO-7 launches first all-women police station in Siquijor

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 16, 2019

The Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 has launched its first all-women police station in the province of Siquijor.

The police station, named ‘Mariang Pulis’, is located in the Municipality of Maria. According to the PRO 7, the women-dominated police station follows the rich history of the municipality.

According to their post, “long before the Spaniards came to Siquijor, a settlement known as “Kangmaya”, named after a famous woman, already existed. It was eventually renamed to “Maria”.

This is part of the Philippine National Police (PNP)’s initiative to promote women empowerment in the force.

“Having initiated this new concept of gender and development for policewomen in Siquijor, the Mariang Pulis signals the time to move forward in promoting the vision and mission of the PNP in creating an opportunity for women to strengthen their role in the context of policing in the law enforcement pillar,” according to Siquijor Police Provincial Office (SPPO) Provincial Director PCol. Angela Rejano.—AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.