New I-ACT to focus on traffic woes in NCR and nearby provinces
UNTV News • September 6, 2017 • 4505
Commonwealth Avenue construction of the MRT line 7
MANILA, Philippines — Heavy traffic has already been the norm across many areas in the country especially during holiday season.
To address this, the government launched a new Inter-Agency Council for Traffic or I-ACT which now has more functions.
Under the new I-ACT, more than 6,000 traffic law enforcers will be deployed on major roads. These enforcers will come from the PNP-Highway Patrol Group, Land Transportation Office (LTO), Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB), Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), local government units and barangay officials.
The I-ACT will first address the problem on traffic along Commonwealth Avenue, simultaneous with the start of the construction of the MRT line 7.
Afterwards, I-ACT will fix the heavy traffic on C5 Road, Alabang-Zapote Road, Roxas Boulevard and airport loop.
However, I-ACT said these priorities does not mean it will neglect the problem on traffic along EDSA.
“That doesn’t mean that we will no longer help in other areas. In terms of deployment, I-ACT will help first in Commonwealth, then we move into other areas. Of course we all say that EDSA is the flagship, the premium road but you know EDSA can be lessen , if other major roads are also managed,” DOTr Road Transport USec. Thomas Orbos said.
Aside from Metro Manila, I-ACT will also focus on addressing heavy traffic in Cavite, Rizal, Laguna and Bulacan.
I-ACT’s mandate also include anti-illegal parking operations, sidewalk clearing operations and anti-colorum operations.
“Kahit anong gawin nila,andyan na yang MRT di mawala yan, Sumikip na yung daan eh, EDSA nga nagkalat traffic enforcers di mawala wala dito pa na may ginagawa,” said taxi driver Arvin Morales.
“Sa traffic na yan wala naman sila, minsan nandito kami iilan lang nasa kalsada, sana kung marami sila dito sana gawin nila trabaho nila yung maayos,” said jeepney driver Wendell Sincero.
Also helping I-ACT would be the Department of Public Works and Highways and Department of Interior and Local Government.
With this, the government agencies will address the heavy traffic resulting from the construction of infrastructures, as well as the existing traffic policies in each local government unit.
However, I-ACT could not promise yet that the traffic in major road will be completely addressed at the soonest possible time.
“In terms of easing the traffic, that’s a false promise. But we can manage it. You can expect the government to take steps that would ease the problem or manage the problem,” said Orbos. – Joan Nano | UNTV News & Rescue
The closure is in line with the EDSA busway project that aims to provide faster mobility for the riding public, the agency said in an advisory.
Affected motorists are advised to take the Quezon Avenue Service Road U-turn slot (northbound) or Dario Bridge U-turn slot (southbound) as alternate route.
The agency planned to close all U-turn slots along EDSA to designate the inner lane for the smooth operation of the EDSA Busway project.
The agency had already closed two U-turn slots situated on North Avenue near Trinoma Shopping Mall and the one in front of Quezon City Academy.
Aside from the earlier announced U-turn slots, the MMDA also plans to close other U-turn slots namely: De Jesus, Gen. Tinio, Malvar, and Biglang-Awa in Caloocan City; Balintawak, Kaingin, Landers, Dario Bridge, Walter Mart, Timog, and Santolan in Quezon City.
MANILA, Philippines – Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) spokesperson Celine Pialago on Monday apologized to detained activist Reina Mae Nacino for her controversial remark about her plight and her late infant, Baby River.
Pialago drew flak over the weekend for her social media post where she urged the public to know Nacino’s story first before sympathizing with her.
In her post on Sunday, Pialago criticized Nacino’s supporters, whom she said are turning her grief and plight into a “drama serye.”
Nacino, an urban poor organizer facing charges of illegal possession of explosives and firearms, was only allowed by the court a few hours to attend the wake and burial of her three-month old infant.
Baby River died of pneumonia last Oct 9 while Reina Mae remained in detention. The infant was buried on Friday at the Manila North Cemetery, with critics blasting the strong presence of police and jail guards escorting Nacino.
Pialago apologized to those who thought her comment was insensitive to the plight of mothers who lost their child, but stressed she won’t take back her “drama serye” remark.
“When I posted drama serye, I didn’t mean na tratuhing drama yung hinagpis ni Reina it’s not that… I never meant na dapat hindi sya maghinagpis bilang isang ina. Nawalan rin ako ng mga mahal ko sa buhay, I know the feeling wag nating ilipat dun sa context na yun,” she said in an interview.
“Ang dating kasi nung iba dun sa sinabi kong drama serye wala na siyang karapatang maghinagpis kasi political prisoner siya. Ang dating wala na siyang karapatang bumisita eh binigyan nga sya ng furlough eh… nakikidalamhati kami sayo sa aspeto na yan dahil wala nang sasakit pa sa mamatayan ng anak,” she added.
She said she did not mean to attack Nacino’s grief with the loss of her baby when she used the term.
She also emphasized that the “drama serye” she was referring to were people who were “capitalizing” on Nacino’s situation to gain sympathy from the public and turn them against the government.
“Stop thinking doon sa mga hindi nakakaintindi. Stop thinking na I’m insensitive enough for them. Pero please, sana naman… Salamat doon sa mga nakakaintindi na ang pinupunto nung drama serye huwag palakihin, wag gamitin yung unfortunate situation para lang ma-highlight na mapang-api ang gobyerno,” she said.
Pialago also stressed that her comment is her own and not part of her role as MMDA’s spokesperson.
MMDA general manager Jojo Garcia echoed Pialago’s statement and assured that her opinion does not reflect the agency’s stand on the issue.
“Nagsalita siya at her own capacity, it’s not the stand of MMDA. Kung may personal opinion siya, it’s her right to say that,” Garcia said.
“I think Asec. Celine is responsible enough to handle yung ganitong klase ng mga situation,” he added.
Malacañang, meanwhile, refused to comment and would rather let Pialago handle the issue.
“Tingin ko po personal na opinion niya yan, hindi naman po kasi related sa MMDA yang issue, so hayaan po natin na magkaroon ng personal na opinion si Spokesperson Pialago,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said.
Nacino and two others were arrested in Tondo, Manila in November 2019 for alleged illegal possession of firearms and explosives. She was one month pregnant at the time of her arrest.
She gave birth last July and was ordered separated from her baby in August despite her pleadings filed before Manila Regional Trial Court. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Joan Nano)
Aside from this, the agency also allowed 4,820 PUJ units to ply routes in Metro Manila as stated in the Memorandum Circular 2020-058 dated Saturday (October 10).
Overall, a total of 27,016 traditional PUJs are now operating on 302 routes across Metro Manila since the government opened transportation with the implementation of General Community Quarantine (GCQ).
The agency said it is working on opening more routes for PUVs to address the need for mass transport as business further reopen.
This was after public transport capacity was limited amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
Public Utility Vehicle (PUV) unit breakdown in Metro Manila since operation started on June 1, 2020:
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.