Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Netherlands set to prosecute suspects in MH17 airliner downing

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Thursday, June 20th, 2019

Courtesy: Image grabbed from a Reuters video

International investigators are set on Wednesday (June 19) to launch criminal proceedings against suspects in the shooting down of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine nearly five years ago.

The Dutch-led international team tasked with assigning criminal responsibility for the plane’s destruction is to inform victims’ families of progress in their case on Wednesday morning, followed by a presentation to the media.

Dutch broadcasters RTL and NOS reported late last week that investigators would reveal the names of individual suspects. An Interfax Ukraine report on Tuesday quoted Ukraine’s Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Olena Zerkal in an interview as saying prosecutors would name four “top” suspects.

MH17 was shot out of the sky on July 17, 2014 over territory held by pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine as it was flying from Amsterdam to the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur. All 298 people on board were killed.

Most victims were Dutch. A joint investigation team formed in 2014 by Australia, Belgium, Malaysia, the Netherlands and Ukraine found that the plane was shot down by a Russian missile.

The Russian government denies having lent any support to pro-Russia rebels fighting Ukrainian government troops and also denies any involvement in shooting down MH17.

Last year Russian President Vladimir Putin called MH17’s downing a “terrible tragedy” but said that Moscow was not to blame and that there are other explanations for what happened.

The governments of the Netherlands and Australia have said they hold Russia legally responsible.

Prosecutors have previously said the missile system that brought down the plane came from the Russian 53rd Anti-Aircraft Brigade, based in the western Russian city of Kursk.

They said their next step would be to identify individual culprits and to attempt to put them on trial.

The Netherlands has said Russia has not cooperated with the investigation and Moscow is not expected to surrender suspects.

Dutch authorities have said suspects may be tried in absentia. (REUTERS)

Tags: , , , ,

World’s first floating farm makes a splash in Rotterdam harbor

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Friday, July 5th, 2019

The world’s first floating dairy farm has made a splash after moo-ving into position in the Dutch port city of Rotterdam, with the new facility offering the Netherlands’ with a unique and alternative agricultural solution.

The farm’s first batch of residents, 32 cows, have set up home on the three-story-high farm structure, where they enjoy staying on the spacious barn of their 900-square-meter floating home.

Following a circular design principle, the farm enables the milk from the cows to be processed into dairy products and collects their manure at the same time.

The farm has also been designed to desalinate seawater and produces abundant energy thanks to its vast array of solar panels, with most of the facilities capable of operating in an unmanned status.

According to Peter Van Wingerden, the farm’s designer, thanks to its unique location, the complex is expected to shorten the distance between healthy food reaching urban consumers and will, therefore, realize a sustainable supply of the fresh food in densely populated cities.

“We also want to reduce transportation because now food is transported all over the world, with planes and ships and trucks, and that creates a lot of pollution. And it also creates food losses,” said Van Wingerden.

With the geographical conditions of the Netherlands meaning the country is susceptible to frequent floods and high tides due to rising sea levels, it is hoped the floating farm will aid the future transfer of traditional food production on land to rivers and the sea. (REUTERS)

Tags: , , , , ,

Netherlands set to prosecute suspects in MH17 airliner downing

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Wednesday, June 19th, 2019

Courtesy : Reuters

REUTERS – International investigators are set on Wednesday (June 19) to launch criminal proceedings against suspects in the shooting down of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine nearly five years ago.

The Dutch-led international team tasked with assigning criminal responsibility for the plane’s destruction is to inform victims’ families of progress in their case on Wednesday morning, followed by a presentation to the media.

Dutch broadcasters RTL and NOS reported late last week that investigators would reveal the names of individual suspects. An Interfax Ukraine report on Tuesday quoted Ukraine’s Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Olena Zerkal in an interview as saying prosecutors would name four “top” suspects.

MH17 was shot out of the sky on July 17, 2014 over territory held by pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine as it was flying from Amsterdam to the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur. All 298 people on board were killed.

Most victims were Dutch. A joint investigation team formed in 2014 by Australia, Belgium, Malaysia, the Netherlands and Ukraine found that the plane was shot down by a Russian missile.

The Russian government denies having lent any support to pro-Russia rebels fighting Ukrainian government troops and also denies any involvement in shooting down MH17.

Last year Russian President Vladimir Putin called MH17’s downing a “terrible tragedy” but said that Moscow was not to blame and that there are other explanations for what happened.

The governments of the Netherlands and Australia have said they hold Russia legally responsible.

Prosecutors have previously said the missile system that brought down the plane came from the Russian 53rd Anti-Aircraft Brigade, based in the western Russian city of Kursk.

They said their next step would be to identify individual culprits and to attempt to put them on trial.

The Netherlands has said Russia has not cooperated with the investigation and Moscow is not expected to surrender suspects.

Dutch authorities have said suspects may be tried in absentia.

Tags: , , , ,

Miss Universe 2017 and other candidates visit tourist spots in Manila

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Thursday, December 7th, 2017

IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_120617_Miss Universe in Manila

MANILA, Philippines – A week after the Miss Universe 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada, newly-crowned Queen Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters of South Africa flew to the Philippines.

She was joined by Miss Universe 2017 candidates from different countries including India, Singapore, Spain, Russia, Netherlands, South Korea, Canada, Italy, Great Britain, Malaysia and China.

Alongside them was Miss Philippines Rachel Peters and Miss Universe 2016 Iris Mittenaere of France.

They were in the country to explore the beauty of the Philippines.

Earlier Wednesday, they visited some popular destinations in Manila.

They first went to the famous Rizal Park then toured the historical site of Intramuros.

Nel-Peters said she enjoyed their first day of tour in the country and the warm welcome of Pinoys.

“I think Manila has been everything I heard it would be. All the love that I’ve been receiving on social media has just come to life over here so it’s so exciting to be here,” Nel-Peters said.

Meanwhile, Filipino fans are really delighted to see the lovely ladies.

“We were really surprised that Miss Universe together with the other contestants are here! They are all beautiful po,” said Andrei Roque, a fan.

“I just saw them on the TV, on the screen but in person, they are really beautiful. They are really fantastic people,” said another fan, Lourdes Bosito.

The beauty queens who were tapped as ambassadors of Philippine tourism are set to visit other places in the country including Batanes, Bohol and Camiguin. – Leslie Longboen | UNTV News & Rescue

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,