NCRPO denies torture claim of two respondents in Dacera case

Aileen Cerrudo   •   January 14, 2021   •   508

Respondents in the Christine Dacera Case

MANILA, Philippines — The National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) has denied the torture claims of two respondents in the Dacera case.

NCRPO Director PBGen. Vicente Danao Jr. defended the Makati Police against allegations that police officers tortured two of the respondents.

The respondents reported that they were tortured to say there were illegal drugs present during the New Year’s Eve party or the night before the death of flight attendant Christine Dacera.

Danao said no police authorities abused or forced the respondents to influence their statements regarding the case. He also questioned the two on the sudden retraction of their statements.

“They’ve been coming out sa different social media and the same story ang sinasabi nila during their interviews at iyong mga info na inilabas nila sa kanilang Facebook page mismo. Wala naman silang sinabi na nabugbog sila, bakit ngayon biglang nagkaroon ng bugbugan (They’ve been telling the same story during the interviews and from the stories they released in their Facebook page. No one said something about getting tortured, then all of a sudden, there was tortured involved?),” he said.

On Wednesday (January 13), respondents JP dela Serna and Rommel Galido alleged that they were abused by police authorities mentally and physically to force them to provide false information.

“I retracted it because they were the ones who put words into my mouth na magturo ako ng tao sa nangyari (to pin the incident on someone) […] tutulungan nila kaming makalabas if ever magsasabi kami kung sino iyong tao (they said they will help us get released if we give them a name),” Dela Serna said.

Galido, previously said Christine told him about a certain Mark who allegedly put something in her drink. Galido clarified that Christine just told him she had drunk too much.

“Fino-force kami na dapat magsabi, magturo kami ng someone kapalit ng kalayaan namin. Siyempre, wala akong alam kung anong dapat gawin. Gulong gulo iyong isip ko.. Any options i-grab [ko] para matapos na ito. Sabi ko doon, si Mark. Si Mark iyong nasabi ko which is hindi naman dapat talaga kasi wala namang sinabi si Christine na Mark (They forced us to put the blame on someone in exchange for our freedom. Of course, I didn’t know what to do. I wanted to grab any option just to end this. I told them it’s Mark which is not true because Christine never mentioned someone named Mark),” Galido said.

Meanwhile, the NCRPO released photos proving no torture was done against the respondents. Danao added that the respondents could face raps for retracting their statements regarding the case.

“Pwede silang file-an ng perjury kasi under oath iyon na sinabi nila, (They could be charged with perjury because they said those statements under oath),” he said.

Danao also said they added more names to the list of respondents. The NCRPO hopes that the involved individuals would cooperate to shed more light on the case. AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

PNP files motion to reopen probe on Dacera case

Aileen Cerrudo   •   March 5, 2021

23-year-old flight attendant, Christine Dacera who was found unconscious in a bathtub at a posh hotel after attending a New Year’s eve party

MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine National Police (PNP) has filed a motion to reopen the investigation into the case of Christine Dacera due to newly found evidence.

Based on their toxicology report, two swab samples from Dacera are positive for 4-Fluoromethamphetamine and methamphetamine which are dangerous drugs. A semen analysis was also conducted which confirmed the presence of semen at the crime scene.

Based on the findings, the PNP said these evidence will prove that the 23-year-old Dacera was raped and drugged before she died.

Meanwhile, Atty. Mike Santiago who counsels the five respondents in the case questioned PNP’s motion and said it would only prolong the case resolution.

He also questioned why the said evidence were only found recently when the results were already available in February.

“It’s just troublesome and worrying on our part that these additional pieces of evidence which were already available as early as February 11 — the other one on February 9 — were only submitted this week,” Santiago said.

“What’s the purpose of delaying if it’s already available? Why delay the submission? That is our question,” the lawyer added.

The prosecutor conducted the final preliminary investigation on February 17 and now awaits resolution.

Despite the new evidence submitted by the PNP, Santiago said it will not affect case.

“If whether these will affect our case—what’s the case? Rape with homicide? There is no bearing whether there are drugs on the premises or not. It doesn’t really affect the case basically,” he said.

Meanwhile, the respondents are awaiting possible prosecutor’s order to submit a comment on the motion. AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)

NCRPO in favor of placing Metro Manila under MGCQ

Aileen Cerrudo   •   February 19, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) said it is in favor of relaxing the quarantine classification in Metro Manila from General Community Quarantine (GCQ) to Modified General Community Quarantine (MGCQ).

According to NCRPO Director PMGen. Vicente Danao Jr., this is to ease the load of police officers who have been monitoring quarantine controlled points for almost one year.

It could be a very very welcome development for all of us at least. Siguro nakikita ng taas na nako-kontrol na natin ang virus. Hopefully, as long as hindi po natin maba-violate ang basic health protocols (Maybe the higher-ups are seeing we are controlling the virus. Hopefully, as long as we do not violate the basic health protocols),” he said.

Aside from this, easing the quarantine classification can also help them in focusing more on their anti-illegal drugs, anti-criminality, and anti-terrorism campaign.

Meanwhile, Danao also reiterated that the public should still follow the minimum health and safety protocols.

“Let us be responsible enough to really, follow the basic like wearing a facemask, face shield, social distancing,” he said. -AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

Christine Dacera laid to rest in Gen. Santos City

Robie de Guzman   •   January 11, 2021

Christine Angelica Dacera

MANILA, Philippines — Christine Angelica Dacera, the 23-year old flight attendant who died after attending a new year’s eve party in Makati hotel last week, was laid to rest on Sunday in a private cemetery in her hometown of General Santos City.

Family members and close friends attended the burial held on Sunday morning at the Forest Lake Memorial Park.

Christine’s mother, Sharon Dacera said the family would continue to seek justice for their daughter as she thanked all those who showed support in this time of grief.

“Nagpasalamat ako sa inyo… you’re here to condole with us. Sana po ipanalangin niyo po, ipanalangin niyo po na magkaroon ng justice and peace ang soul ng among Christine Angelica “Ica” Faba Dacera,” she said.

To recall, Dacera was found unconscious in a bathtub in one of the rooms of City Garden Grand Hotel around noontime of January 1 after a night of partying with 12 men, some of them were her friends.

She was rushed to a hospital and was declared dead on arrival.

Dacera was buried a few days after her remains arrived in General Santos City on Thursday via a Philippine Airlines flight.

Initial medical report stated that Dacera died due to a ruptured aortic aneurysm but her family insisted that she was very healthy and suspected that she was drugged and sexually abused.

Police initially announced that three suspects in her death case were arrested and charged with rape with homicide but the Makati City Prosecutor’s Office ordered the release of the apprehended persons and referred the case for further investigation.

The prosecutor’s office said further investigation should be conducted to determine whether Dacera was raped and/or killed, and if the identified suspects were responsible for the crime. It also seeks to determine whether the death was by reason or on occasion of rape or for other reasons – the actual cause of death.

It also directed police officers to submit additional evidence such as DNA analysis report, toxicology/chemical analysis, and the histopath examination report.

The preliminary investigation is set on January 13.

Officials from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) were in General Santos on Saturday to collect samples from Dacera’s body as part of its probe on the case.

The NBI, however, admitted that getting results to be used as evidence would be difficult given the state of the body.

“Alam namin na mediyo impossible na, considering that there has already be compromises, compromised na yung ibang pieces of evidences dito, considering na contaminated na ah nag-detoriate na. nagkaroon na ng rapid deterioration yung ibang ebidensiya dito, but again we will not discourage by that,” NBI deputy director Atty. Ferdinand Lavin said.

The NBI said the result of the re-autopsy conducted on Dacera’s body is expected to be released in a week. – RRD (with details from Correspondent James Pugoy)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.