NBI: Re-autopsy results on slain OFW in Kuwait out in a month
Robie de Guzman • May 27, 2019 • 2453
MANILA, Philippines – The results of the re-autopsy and toxicology test performed on the remains of a Filipino household service worker who was killed in Kuwait will be out next month, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) said on Monday.
NBI Spokesperson and Deputy Director Ferdinand Lavin said they have finished re-examining the remains of Constancia Lago Dayag and the results will be available within four to five weeks.
“We will come up with the report in 4 to 5 weeks’ time because there are laboratory examinations,” Lavin said.
The NBI conducted the examination following requests from the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) to determine Dayag’s cause of death.
47-year old Dayag was allegedly physically and sexually assaulted before she died. She was rushed to Al Sabah Hospital on May 14, 2019, where she was pronounced dead on arrival.
“We did oral swabbing, vaginal swabbing then mayroong nakuhang part ng uterus. Mayroong part of the intestine. Mayroong fingerprints na kinuha. Mayroon ding nail clippings na kinuha. This is a full forensic doon sa tao,” Lavin said.
The NBI official admitted their experts encountered difficulty in performing the tests because Dayag’s organs have already shrunk. He added that another autopsy may be conducted on her remains.
Dayag’s remains arrived in Manila last Thursday (May 23) and was transported back to her hometown in Isabela. Her body is lying in state in Angadanan town.
The DFA has assured to continue providing legal and other assistance to Dayag’s family.
The DFA and the Philippine Embassy in Kuwait earlier vowed to continue working with the Kuwait government for the speedy resolution of the felony murder case against Dayag’s employer. (with details from April Cenedoza)
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippines will again impose a total deployment ban of workers to Kuwait in the wake of the death of Filipino household service worker, Jeanelyn Villavende, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said Wednesday.
DOLE said the total deployment ban to Kuwait will be implemented after the Philippine Overseas Employment Agency (POEA) Governing Board approved the recommendation of Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III.
Bello earlier said he is inclined to recommend a total deployment ban for Filipino workers after the results of a re-autopsy by Philippine authorities showed that Villavende may have been beaten weeks before her death.
The autopsy also revealed that the victim had several missing internal organs and her body had “clear indications of sexual abuse.”
The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) conducted the re-autopsy after an embalming certificate released by Kuwait’s Ministry of Health showed that Villavende died of “acute failure of heart and respiration” as a result of shock and multiple injuries.
It was earlier reported that Villavende might have been beaten to death purportedly by her employer and was already dead when brought to a hospital. Attending nurses reported that she was ‘black and blue.’
Earlier this month, the government imposed a partial deployment ban to Kuwait which covers newly-hired household service workers.
In 2018, the Philippines implemented a total deployment ban after a string of reports of Filipino workers being abused and killed in Kuwait, including household service worker Joanna Demafelis, whose body was found inside a freezer in an abandoned apartment.
The ban was lifted months later after the Philippine and Kuwaiti governments signed a labor pact for the protection of Filipino workers there.
MANILA, Philippines — Family and friends of Jeanalyn Villavende were both sad and furious as they welcomed the remains of the slain Filipina domestic worker at the General Santos Airport on Thursday (January 8).
Villavende, who was abused and killed by her employer in Kuwait, was immediately flown to her hometown at Norala, South Cotabato.
With placards in hand, her family, relatives and friends united to express their anger as they called for justice for what happened to 26-year-old Jeanelyn.
“Gusto kong mangyari sa employer ni Jeanelyn yung nangyari din sa kanya,” lamented Jeanelyn’s stepmother, Nelly Pardenal.
(I want them to suffer what Jeanelyn had suffered.)
The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) immediately conducted a re-autopsy on Jeanelyn’s body to determine the true cause of her death.
Investigations in Kuwait said Jeanelyn died of heart or respiratory failure due to shock after she suffered multiple injuries.
“Hindi namin alam kasi nireport sa amin na patay na talaga doon sa ospital,” said Pardenal, “Patay na siguro talaga, doon pa lang galing sa bahay nila.”
The result of the autopsy is expected to be released soon while her parents expressed confidence that they will get justice for what happened to the Pinay worker.
“Naniniwala ako kasi inaayos naman nila. Tumutulong naman sila para mabigyan ng hustisy ang kamatayan ni Jeanelyn,” Pardenal believed.
(I’m keeping my faith because they are helping to resolve the case and give justice to Jeanelyn’s death.)
Her family expressed gratitude to the assistance the government has offered for the immediate repatriation of Villavende’s remains.
Meanwhile, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III is expected to visit Jeanalyn’s wake on Friday (January 10). — MNP (with report from Correspondent Janice Ingente)
OWWA Administrator Hans Leo Cacdac said the government also awaits the filing of formal charges against the employer couple.
“The employer couple is detained in prison so, pending investigation they will remain in prison until of course ang expectation natin after 6-7 days they will be formally charged in the court, Kuwaiti court,” he said.
Cacdac also said there is still no confirmation if the male employer is a member of the police force.
“He is an official of the Interior Ministry at kasama doon sa Interior Ministry ang kapulisan (and the police is under the Interior Ministry),” he said.
Meanwhile, the governing board of the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) is currently investigating Villavende’s recruitment agency for their alleged inaction on her abuse complaints.
Cacdac said the recruitment agency might face suspension or revocation of the license if they are proven guilty of inaction on Villavende’s case.—AAC (with reports from Aiko Miguel)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.