NBI nabs De Lima co-accused in Pampanga

Marje Pelayo   •   August 16, 2019   •   1243

MANILA, Philippines – The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Friday (August 16) arrested one of Senator Leila de Lima’s co-accused in the illegal drug case.

Around 5:30 am on Friday, NBI operatives nabbed Jose Drian ‘Jad’ Dera in Angeles, Pampanga.

Dera has been hiding for two years since a warrant of arrest was issued against him.

De Lima and Dera were both accused in the two cases of alleged conspiracy to commit illegal drug trading in the ongoing trial at the Muntinlupa Regional Trial Court Branches 205 and 256.

Dera is De Lima’s nephew and former staff when she was then Justice Secretary.

Dera allegedly served as De Lima’s middleman in receiving P70-M cash from drug lords inside the New Bilibid Prisons as well as in the alleged extortion of P30-M and four vehicles from high-profile inmate Peter Co.

The lady senator, in her statement in March 2017, denied any blood links with Dera.

Dera, meanwhile, also denied being a relative of De Lima.

Negosyante at internet personality Francis Leo Marcos, hinuli ng NBI

Robie de Guzman   •   May 19, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Inaresto ng National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) ang negosyanteng si Francis Leo Marcos dahil sa umano’y paglabag sa optometry law.

Ayon sa NBI, hinuli si Marcos ngayong Martes kaugnay ng kinakaharap nitong kasong paglabag sa Republic Act 8050 o ang Revised Optometry Law sa Baguio City.

Dinakip ng NBI Cybercrime Division si Marcos sa bahay nito sa Quezon City sa bisa ng warrant of arrest na inilabas ng korte sa Baguio.

Taong 2010 pa umano naisampa ang reklamo at noong February 2018 lumabas ang warrant.

Wala pang inilalabas na detalye ang NBI ukol sa kaso ngunit ayon kay Marcos, nag-ugat umano ang reklamo sa pamamahagi niya ng libreng eyeglasses at pagsasagawa ng libreng checkup sa mata nang walang permiso mula sa Philippine Optometrist Association.

Bukod sa nasabing reklamo, sinabi ni NBI deputy director Atty. Ferdinand Lavin na nahaharap din si Marcos sa kasong paglabag sa Anti-Human Trafficking in Persons Act na isinampa noon pang 2006.

Nahaharap din ito sa kasong exploitation at paglabag sa Republic Act 9262 o ang Violation against Women and Children Law na isinampa naman sa Gapan, Nueva Ecija.

Dagdag pa ni Lavin na iniimbestigahan na rin nila ang totoong pangalan ni Marcos.

“Also we are in the process of investigating his true identity because we have been receiving reports that he had been named before as Norman Mangusin,” ani Lavin.

Pinabulaanan naman ni Marcos ang mga alegasyon laban sa kanya,.

“Talaga pong tayo’y napag-iinitan lang pero wala naman pong problema patutunayan natin sa korte yan lahat ng alegasyon na yan,” ani Marcos.

Bukod sa pagiging negosyante, isa ring internet personality si Marcos dahil sa kanyang videos sa YouTube channel na may mahigit isang milyong subscriber. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspendent Dante Amento)

NBI urged to take down online pages promoting sexual exploitation of children

Robie de Guzman   •   May 15, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Senator Risa Hontiveros has called on the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to put a stop to social media pages that sexually exploit children following reports of continuing exploitation of children even amid the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

In an open letter addressed to the NBI, Hontiveros said her office received reports that there are still pages on Facebook and other online sites that are actively posting indecent photos of female children.

“Nakarating sa opisina ko na mayroong mga Facebook pages kung saan naka-post ang napakaraming mahahalay na larawan ng mga babaeng bata. Matagal na ang mga Facebook page na ito ngunit active pa rin daw ang mga posts at groups,” she said.

“Ngayong COVID-19 pandemic, may mga reports na nagsasabing pwedeng mas dadami ang kaso ng online sexual exploitation of children. We need to be more vigilant and make sure that our children are safe and secure, online and offline,” she stressed.

Hontiveros appealed to the bureau to probe and takedown these pages, as well as find and prosecute the people behind these social media accounts.

“Nananawagan ako sa Bureau na imbestigahan at agarang i-take down ang mga Facebook pages na ito. Kailangan malaman din ng NBI kung sino-sino ang mga taong nagpapatakbo nito. Kailangang panagutin at ipakulong ang mga kriminal na nasa likod ng mga Facebook pages at online content na ito,” she stressed.

According to the senator, Facebook also needs to be made accountable for allowing these pages.

“The tech giant, with all its resources, should have technologies and mechanisms in place that prevent these kinds of pages from existing. Sobrang nakakabahala na hanggang ngayon, may mga ganito paring nangyayari sa platform na ito,” she said.

She also called on the public to remain vigilant in ending online sexual exploitation of children by reporting these pages to authorities.

“Kailangan nating protektahan ang online space bilang mga safe spaces. We need to make sure that our children are safe online, lalo na ngayong mas marami ang oras na ginugugol nila sa social media,” she said.

DOH reports setting up of quarantine facilities in some detention centers vs spread of COVID-19

Robie de Guzman   •   May 1, 2020

The NBP COVID-19 Quarantine area (Site Harry), was further configured to be ready to accommodate more patients if need be during this period of COVID-19 pandemic. | BuCor

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) on Friday said that quarantine centers have been installed in some detention facilities in the country to prevent the spread and manage the cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) among persons deprived of liberty (PDL).

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said they are closely working with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in building isolation facilities for probable and suspect coronavirus cases inside detention facilities such as the New Bilibid Prison (NBP).

“ICRC has installed a 110-bed capacity quarantine facility in the medium-security New Bilibid Prison. Multi-disciplinary technical support has likewise been supplied to the Correctional Institute for Women as an emergency response to its confirmed cases detected recently,” Duque said in a statement.

The Health chief added that the ICRC is also assisting the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) and the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) in setting up temporary isolation centers for COVID-19 positive PDLs who are experiencing mild to moderate symptoms.

“A 48-bed quarantine facility in the Quezon City Jail in Payatas is now fully operational with 40 admitted detainees,” the DOH said.

“It is being expanded to 200 beds and will open shortly in collaboration with BJMP,” it added.

The health department also reported that a 40-bed quarantine facility at the New San Fernando District Jail and an 80-bed quarantine facility at the Quezon District Jail in Pagbilao, Lucena City are likewise being prepared.

“Such isolation centers were set-up with separate areas for patients and sleeping quarters for staff, electricity, water, cots, and basic furnishings,” it said.

“The staff were also furnished with medical equipment, personal protective equipment for healthcare workers and tablet devices to facilitate contact between patients and their relatives,” it added.

Training on infection prevention and control, and management of the dead based on DOH and WHO guidelines were also provided.

Aside from the ICRC, the Health chief said they are also coordinating with the Department of Justice, and the World Health Organization for the conduct of an initial assessment, investigation and management of cases at the Correctional Institution for Women-Bureau of Corrections and the NBP.

This is to ensure that “infection control measures are in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in penal and correctional facilities.”

Duque said that other closed-setting facilities such as orphanages, and homes for the aged will also be monitored with the help of the Department of Social Welfare and Development.

“Multi-sectoral efforts are ramped up to support all vulnerable areas to stem this pandemic. In all closed-setting facilities, a single case of an asymptomatic positive COVID-19 case can be a disaster,” he said.

The measure comes after more than 200 detainees and personnel at three city jails in the country were reported to have contracted the viral respiratory disease.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.