National ID, a tool against crime, corruption – Duterte
Marje Pelayo • August 7, 2018 • 5821
President Rodrigo Roa Duterte shows a copy of the Philippine Identification System (PhilSys) Act after signing it during a ceremony at Malacañan Palace on August 6, 2018. RICHARD MADELO/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte signed on Monday (August 6) the act creating a national ID system in the country.
The Philippine Identification System (PhilSys) Act of 2018 aims to create a single official identification card for all citizens that integrates and interconnects various government-issued ID cards.
The National ID system will bear 13 sets of information, including the PhilSys number, full name, blood type, date and place of birth, marital status and the photo of the owner.
More information, such as biometric data, will be stored in the PhilSys registry.
With the enactment of the law, the President believes that this will pave the way for efficient delivery of services. It is also expected to reduce corruption, to curtail bureaucratic red tape, to promote the ease of doing business and to strengthen financial inclusion.
The Chief Executive also assured the public that the government will protect the data in the PhilSys database amid concerns of possible data breach and privacy violations.
“There is no basis at all for the apprehension about the Phil-id unless of course that fear is based on anything that borders to illegal. If at all, the Phil-id will even aid in our drive against the social menaces of poverty, corruption, and criminal issues, as well as terrorism and violent extremism,” the President concluded. – Rosalie Coz | UNTV News and Rescue
MANILA, Philippines—President Rodrigo Duterte will deliver his public address on Monday (April 12), Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. confirmed.
In a text message to reporters on Saturday (April 10), the Palace official said the President will push through with his weekly public address on Monday.
Duterte skipped his public address last week after several members of the Presidential Security Group (PSG) tested positive for the COVID-19. Due to his several days of absence, speculations have surfaced questioning the state of the President’s health.
However, several officials, already assured that Duterte is of good health and will deliver his public address on Monday.
Meanwhile, Roque said he was admitted to a hospital for COVID-19 treatment. AAC
MANILA, Philippines—The Supreme Court (SC) on Tuesday (March 16) unanimously junked petitions against the Philippines ‘ withdrawal from the International Criminal Court (ICC).
The high court said the issue of the country’s withdrawal from the ICC has been considered moot as the withdrawal has already taken effect on March 17, 2019.
“In a unanimous decision penned by Associate Justice Marvic M.V.F. Leonen, the Supreme Court dismissed the Petition questioning the unilateral withdrawal for being moot and academic,” the SC said in a briefer released on Tuesday (March 16).
The statement released by the SC public information office says the decision acknowledged that the President, as the primary architect of foreign policy, is subject to the Constitution and existing statute.
“Therefore, the power of the President to withdraw unilaterally can be limited by the conditions for concurrence by the Senate or when there is an existing law that authorizes the negotiation of a treaty or international agreement or when there is a statute that implements an existing treaty,” it added.
Two petitions were filed against President Rodrigo Duterte’s decision to withdraw from the ICC, stating the decision still requires concurrence from two-thirds of the members of the Senate.
“The Court also noted that the judiciary has enough powers to protect human rights contrary to speculations raised by the petitioners,” the briefer reads.
Duterte made the announcement in March 2018, after the ICC announced it will conduct a preliminary investigation on the government’s war on drugs. -AAC
MANILA, Philippines—Senator Christopher ‘Bong’ Go has clarified he has no interest in joining in the 2022 presidential elections.
President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday (March 11) revealed Go has interest in becoming president, which Go denied on Friday (March 12).
“Itong si Senator Bong Go pababa kami ng eroplano sabi niya sir may hingi sana ako sayo ng pabor. Sabi ko ano? Sabi niya, medyo it leaves a bad taste malayo pa pero ikaw nalang ang magsabi sa kanila. Sabihin ko ang totoo, isang bagay lang ang sasabihin daw sa inyo— gusto niya maging presidente (When we are about to disembark the plane, he asked me for a favor. I asked what it is and he said, ‘it leaves a bad taste and it is still way down the road but I want you to tell them”. I will tell you the truth, I will say only one thing—he wants to be president),” Duterte said.
Go, on Friday, clarified that the President only said that in jest and added he is content in serving as a Senator.
“Sabi ko (I said) I am not interested to run for higher office. Joke lang po iyon ni Presidente. Siya lang po ang nanunukso. Siya lang po ang nag-uudyok (The President was just joking. He was the one urging [me]),” Go said.
He also appealed to his co-parties in the Partido Demokratiko Pilipino–Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) not to include him in politics and only choose him as the last option.
“Kung wala na kayong makita ako nalang po ang pinakahuli. Mauna na sila huwag niyo na po akong isali sa usapang politikal (If you cannot find someone, I can be the last option. Let others go first and do not me include in politics),” he said.–AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.