Nasino’s jail guards ‘acted with professionalism’ despite harassment from leftist groups – DILG

Robie de Guzman   •   October 16, 2020   •   743

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Friday defended the personnel of the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) who escorted detained activist Reina Mae Nasino to the wake of her child, saying the jail officers “acted with professionalism, restraint, and integrity.”

In a statement, DILG spokesperson, Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya said jail officers remained professional despite the provocation, harassment and insults they faced from the crowd during the wake.

“The BJMP jail officers assigned to escort Nasino were insulted, harassed and verbally abused by Leftist groups aligned with Ms. Nasino. Truth be told, it was the Leftist groups who caused the tension during the wake when they suddenly vented their ire on the BJMP officers who were just doing their jobs,” Malaya said.

Malaya added that the group at the wake clearly intended to provoke the jail officers to “create a media spectacle, hog the headlines, and portray the BJMP and the government, by extension, as heartless and insensitive” to Nasino’s plight.

“What was supposed to be a solemn occasion for a mother to peacefully grieve the death of her daughter was intentionally turned into a media spectacle at the clear instigation of these Leftist groups,” he said.

“We commiserate and condole with Ms. Nasino and respect her right to grieve the death of her daughter. However, we condemn in the strongest terms the acts of these Leftist groups that placed the security of Ms. Nasino and the lives of our jail officers at risk,” he added.

Malaya also clarified that Nasino is not a “political prisoner” and that she is not being detained for her political beliefs, opinions, or for opposing the government.

“She is detained upon orders of the Regional Trial Court for criminal cases for illegal possession of firearms and explosives. That is a simple and undeniable fact,” he said.

Malaya also stressed that it was the court who set the conditions for her furlough, and since media interviews of the accused were not one of the privileges granted, therefore, it was not allowed. 

“It was the courts that denied their pleadings, who decided on the conditions for her furlough, and yet it is the BJMP that they are crucifying. The BJMP is simply obeying the orders of the court otherwise we will be the one who will be cited for contempt,” he said.

The National Union of People’s Lawyers (NUPL) previously said it will file cases against BJMP personnel over the tension that erupted during Nasino’s visit to the wake.

The NUPL said jail guards prevented Nasino from talking to the media.

Nasino’s child was laid to rest on Friday afternoon.

Hiling na isailalim sa ECQ ang 3 lugar sa Bicol, pinag-aaralan na – DILG

Robie de Guzman   •   June 16, 2021

Pumalo sa 2,349 ang bilang ng bagong kaso ng COVID-19 sa Bicol Region sa huling dalawang linggo batay sa ulat ng Department of Health (DOH).

Batay sa tala ng DOH mula Hunyo 15, nangunguna sa may pinakamaraming kaso sa rehiyon ang mga lalawigan ng Albay (696), Camarines Sur (584), Sorsogon (341), Naga City (297), at Masbate (223).

Sa kasalukuyan, tanging ang Naga City ang nasa ilalim ng modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) hanggang June 30, 2021.

Samantalang ang malaking bahagi ng Bicol Region ay nasa ilalim ng modified general community quarantine (MGCQ), ang pinakamaluwag na quarantine restriction.

Bunsod nito, hiniling ng Bicol Region medical groups sa Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) na mapasailalim sa pinakamahigpit na community quarantine ang mga lalawigan ng Albay, Camarines Sur, at Sorsogon pati na ang mga lungsod ng Legazpi, Naga, at Sorsogon.

Anila, nakababahala ang pagtaas ng kaso na iniuugnay sa local transmission bunsod ng maluwag na pagpapatupad ng minimum health standards, hindi pagsunod ng local officials sa Inter-Agency Task Force regulations, mabagal, inaccessible at di sapat na testing at poor contact tracing efforts at iba.

Ayon naman kay DILG Spokesperson Jonathan Malaya, pinag-aaralan na ng DILG ang apela ng mga medical frontliner.

“For Bicol, its under study. We are meeting with DOH this afternoon to hear their recommendations,” ani Malaya. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Rosalie Coz)

TAGS   , , ,

DILG calls on CPP-NPA to turn over members responsible for Masbate mine blast

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 9, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has called on the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) to turn over members involved in the Masbate mine blast.

After the CPP-NPA took responsibility for the incident, DILG Secretary Eduardo Año said the group should be held accountable for the death of football player Kieth Absalon and his cousin Novlen Absalon.

“Now that the CPP-NPA has accepted full responsibility for the senseless murder, it now becomes their duty to turn over the terrorists responsible for the deaths so that justice maybe served to their families and loved ones,” he said in a statement. Año also assured the safety of the suspects while undergoing trial.

“The ends of justice require that those responsible must be held accountable for their crimes against the people under the laws of the Republic of the Philippines,” he said.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) are prepared to file criminal charges against the CPP-NPA members involved in the incident. AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

Several establishments in Valenzuela City receive Safety Seal Certification

Aileen Cerrudo   •   May 25, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Three business establishments in Valenzuela City received Safety Seal Certification by the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) and the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI).

DTI Secretary Ramon Lopez said the Safety Seal Certification Program will verify that an establishment is fully compliant with health and safety protocols. This will also boost consumer confidence and will encourage other establishments to abide by protocols.

“We are really launching itong safety seal para po talagang mabigyan ng gabay ang mga consumers na ang lugar na may safety seal ay following minimum health protocol standards. Ito po ay isang paraan para ma-encourage at tumaas naman ang business at consumer confidence na ang lugar na pupuntahan nila ay safe,” he said.

(We are launching the safety seal to guide consumers that bearing it would mean that the establishment is following minimum health protocols standards. This is a way to encourage and boost business and consumer confidence.)

For establishments to be eligible for a Safety Seal Certification, must abide by the minimum protocols and should have a digital contact tracing app available.

Lopez, however, clarified that the certificate is not a requirement but it would be helpful.

“Seal iyan na it can attract more customers dahil safe sa lugar nila. Sa mga hindi pa na-inspect they can operate pero eventually dahil kailangan silang mag-apply at magpa-inspect para malagyan din ng safety seal,” Lopez said.

(It is a seal that can attract more customers because their establishment is safe. To those who have not undergone inspection, they can still operate but, eventually, they will have to apply for the safety seal)

The validity of the seal will be from six months to one year. However, the seal can still be revoked if the establishment is proven to have violated minimum health protocols.

DILG Usec. Jonathan Malaya said the local government units (LGUs) will conduct surprise inspections to make sure that establishments continue to follow the protocols.

“Within six months people may complain at pwede pong ma-revoke ang safety seal and then mayroon pong proseso for reinstatement. Kung hindi po magku-comply ang negosyo pwede pong isuspend ang business permit ng local government unit,” he said.

(Within six months people may complain and the safety seal can be revoked, and then there is a process for reinstatement. And if the establishment will not comply, the local government unit can suspend its business permit.)

The DILG and the DTI are hoping that there will be more establishments that would apply for a Safety Seal Certification. AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)

 

 

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.