Napoles’ brother being used to protect ‘big names’in PDAF Scam – DOJ

admin   •   May 12, 2017   •   3299

MANILA —  Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Vitallano Aguirre has revealed the reason why Janet Lim-Napoles wanted to be transferred to the custody of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).

“Kasi diba yung kapatid nya was never arrested. Merong malalim na parang kuwan dyan, yung kapatid nyang yan ay naka-prenda para hindi magsalita si Janet,” said DOJ Sec. Vitaliano Aguirre. (Her brother was never arrested. There is more to the story. His brother has been pawned to stop Janet from talking.)

He added that Napoles’ brother and co-accused, Reynald Lim, is being held by a big group.

Sec. Aguirre said Reynald Lim is being used to prevent Napoles from disclosing other names involved in the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) Scam.

“Actually, kaya naman hindi lang nagsasalita si Janet Napoles gawa ng talagang nag-aalala sya na kapag nagsalita sya lalong magiging endangered yung kanyang life,” Sec. Aguirre added. (Actually Janet Napoles is not speaking out because she is worried that her life will be in more danger.)

Napoles’ legal counsel, Atty. Stephen David, went to the DOJ to personally appeal for his client to be transferred to a different facility.

The DOJ is also studying the proposal to make Napoles a state witness, instead of being the accused.

READ: Duterte agrees on Napoles’ acquittal for illegal detention

Aguirre agreed with the position of Napoles’ camp that only government officials may be charged with plunder, and not any private individuals like Janet Napoles.

The DOJ has thorough investigation underway and assures there will be more revelations of ‘big names’ said to be involved in the PDAF and the  Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) scam.

We will be making an honest to goodness effort to reopen itong (this) PDAF and even DAP cases.  Kaya’t (That’s why) we could not rest in view of the fact that only three among hundreds of responsible public officials dito sa dalawang kasong ito (in these two cases),” Sec. Aguirre said.   — Joan Nano | UNTV News & Rescue

Suspected Abu Sayyaf member nabbed in Quezon City

Robie de Guzman   •   September 15, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Wednesday said it has arrested an Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) member in an operation conducted in Culiat, Quezon City last week.

NBI officer-in-charge, director Eric Distor identified the suspect as Albazir Abdulla alias Abu Saif.

The operatives of the NBI-Counter Terrorism Division (CTD) arrested Abdulla, who is facing kidnapping and serious illegal detention charges for his alleged involvement in the 2001 Golden Harvest Plantation kidnapping case.

The operation was launched after NBI sources reported sightings of Abdulla in Metro Manila. A victim-witness also identified him in a CTD photo line-up as one of the abductors and a member of the ASG.

A series of casing and surveillance operations was conducted by the NBI-CTD in coordination with counterparts from the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), to gather more information, which revealed the actual residence of Abdulla.

The arrested suspect was brought to NBI Detention Facility.

Distor said Abdulla is the second ASG member they arrested in Metro Manila this year. In May, operatives nabbed alleged ASG member Wahab Jamal alis Ustadz Halipa at Maharlika Village in Taguig.

The NBI said that the ASG group headed by their late leader Isnilon Hapilon and other senior ASG leaders raided the Golden Harvest Plantation in Brgy. Tairan, Lantawan, Basilan Province.

The terrorists seized the supplies from sari-sari stores and houses; livestock, firearms and ammunition from the plantation security. They also burned a chapel and detained 14 plantation workers, two of whom were beheaded by the terrorist group.

After four months of captivity, the victims were able to escape on separate occasions during the rescue operations by the government security forces.

After the incident, the ASG stayed in the mountains and some of its members assimilated back to society as “sleepers” or “spies,” the NBI said.

Deployment of resident ombudsmen to graft-prone agencies to start this month — DOJ

Robie de Guzman   •   September 9, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The deployment of prosecutors and state auditors who will serve as resident ombudsmen to government agencies prone to corruption is expected to begin this month, the Department of Justice (DOJ) said Thursday.

This is after the DOJ, together with the Commission on Audit (COA) and the Office of the Ombudsman, signed a memorandum of agreement that would deputize DOJ prosecutors and COA auditors as resident ombudsmen.

Their tasks include the following:

  • Bring to host government agencies the Ombudsman’s frontline services by acting on complaints and reports against officials and employees of the said agencies
  • Serve as watchdogs and implementors or corruption prevention program
  • Monitor compliance with existing anti-graft laws and regulations

“The MOA synergizes the investigatory powers of the Office of the Ombudsman, DOJ, and COA in the implementation of anti-corruption measures, this aiding the OMB and the COA in carrying out their respective mandates while also serving as a mechanism for the DOJ to attain the objectives of the Task Force Against Corruption,” the DOJ said in a statement.

“The OMB, COA, and DOH shall jointly enter into agreements with partner agencies regarding the terms of deployment of the resident Ombudsmen, which is expected to start rolling this month,” it added.

This development comes after COA included in its report alleged “deficiencies” in the Department of Health’s use of COVID-19 funds.

The issue has prompted Congressional hearings on the utilization of DOH’s funds for COVID-19 response.

PNP welcomes NBI findings on QC ‘misencounter’

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 7, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) said it welcomes the findings of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) regarding the so-called “misencounter” between the national police and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA).

The PNP assured that all its personnel involved are fully accounted for and would be made available should the Department of Justice require their participation in the conduct of its own review with regard to the findings submitted by the NBI.

On Monday (September 7), the NBI has recommended filing charges against 12 Quezon City policemen for their involvement in the “misencounter” during an illegal drugs operation last February 24 in Quezon City.

The national police, in a statement, also said that the incident has paved the way in clearing the gray areas in the coordination protocol and in outlining improvements and institutionalization of measures to prevent the repeat of the incident.

The Memorandum Circular, entitled Unified Coordination Guidelines in the Conduct of Anti-Illegal Drugs Operation was signed by the PNP chief and the PDEA Director General last July.

“The Philippine National Police commits to honoring and institutionalizing the PDEA-PNP Memorandum Circular as both law enforcement agencies aspire to put an end to the illegal drugs menace in the country,” the statement read. AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.