Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

MWSS approves water rate hike

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Thursday, June 14th, 2018

 

 

(PHOTOVILLE International / Apolinar Espos)

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – The Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) has approved the increase in water rates of Maynilad and Manila Water effective next month.

The rate increase is due to the Foreign Currency Differential Adjustment (FCDA), a mechanism for adjusting water rates as a result of the fluctuation in the foreign exchange rates which concessionaires impose to regain revenue losses. FCDA varies every quarter of the year.

Strong peso against a dollar and other currencies cause the FCDA to drop while a weaker peso means an increase in FCDA.

“Alam po natin na bumaba ang peso compared sa dollar ang nangyayari po ngayon tumataas ang FCDA so may adjustment po tayo this month,” said MWSS Chief Regulator Patrick Lester Ty

Manila Water customers will have an additional P1.58 per cubic meter to an average basic charge of P36.40. This is equivalent to P5.21 additional charge to a consumption of 10 cubic meters per month, and P23.59 to a consumption of 30 cubic meters per month.

Meanwhile, Maynilad customers will have an additional P0.26 per cubic meter increase to an average basic charge of P48.03. This is equivalent to additional P0.23  for every 10 cubic meter consumption per month, and P1.75  additional charge to 30 cubic meters per month consumption.

The water rate increase will take effect beginning July 1, 2018. – Mon Jocson / Marje Pelayo

Tags: , , ,

Manila Water slapped with P1-B fine for supply shortage

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Wednesday, April 24th, 2019

MANILA, Philippines — The Manila Water Co. Inc. is facing fines amounting to P1.5 billion in connection with the supply shortage being experienced in the east zone concession.

The Metropolitan Waterworks Sewerage System (MWSS) said in a statement that penalties include P500 million for customers’ refund, P600 million for the company to develop a new water source, and the remaining fine is for failing to meet service requirements.

The sanctions are on top of the voluntary full bill waiver imposed by the Manila Water, which it said earlier would cost the company nearly P500 million.

In a separate statement, Manila Water assured it will abide by the sanctions imposed by the MWSS.

“While we are not the root cause for the inadequacy of the raw water supply coming from Angat Dam which we are mandated to treat and distribute, Manila Water, as agent and contractor of water services of MWSS, hold ourselves accountable for our inability to provide our consumers with the usual uninterrupted water service,” company president and CEO Ferdinand dela Cruz said. — Robie de Guzman

Tags: , , , ,

Manila Water COO resigns

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Tuesday, April 16th, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – Manila Water Co. Inc. chief operating officer Geodino V. Carpio has resigned from his post, the utility firm announced on Tuesday.

The Ayala-led water distributor said it has accepted Carpio’s resignation but did not explain why he is leaving the company.

Carpio officially steps down from office at the close of business hours on April 16.

Carpio, who served the company for 22 years, was recently visible to the public to explain the water shortage issue that gripped thousands of Manila Water’s clients in March.

Manila Water said that Abelardo Basilio, the current group director for strategic asset management and data protection officer, will replace Carpio as acting COO for Manila Water operations.

Basilio has been working for Manila Water for more than 20 years and previously headed the technical services group, corporate regulatory affairs, and served as group director for east zone business operations. – Robie de Guzman

Tags: , , ,

Maynilad: Parts of Metro Manila, Bacoor waterless from April 16-20

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Monday, April 15th, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – Maynilad Water Services Inc. has reminded its customers to store enough water prior to the implementation of its service interruptions this week.

Maynilad announced in an advisory earlier that parts of Metro Manila and Cavite will experience water service interruptions during the Lenten break.

READ: Maynilad: No water in parts of Metro Manila, Bacoor next week

Maynilad’s water services will be cut off from April 16 (Tuesday) to April 20 (Saturday).

Barangays in Valenzuela, Malabon, Navotas, Quezon City, Manila, Parañaque, Pasay, Las Piñas and Bacoor City in Cavite will be affected.

Maynilad will be conducting several water network enhancement activities—including facility maintenance works, pipe…

Posted by Maynilad Water Services, Inc. on Wednesday, 10 April 2019

The duration of service interruption will last for five to 30 hours, depending on the area.

Maynilad said this is due to the water network enhancement activities that will be done during these dates in line with continuous efforts to improve water services in the western zone. These include facility maintenance works, pipe decommissioning and interconnections, and valve replacements.

The water company also assured that 40 water tankers will be deployed to deliver water to affected areas when necessary.

Aside from the impending water interruption, many consumers are also grappling with rotational brownouts due to low power reserves in Luzon grid amid the extreme weather condition.

However, Malacañang ensures that the government is on top of the situation.

“I was just talking to (Energy) Sec. Al(fonso Cusi), sabi niya we are on top of it, yun ang sabi niya sa akin kanina,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo told reporters at a press briefing Monday.

(I was just talking to Sec. Al, he said we are on top of it, that’s what he told me earlier.)

On Monday, Luzon grid was placed again on red and yellow alerts, the latest in the consecutive alert issuances of the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines since last week due to unplanned outages and derated capacity of several power plants.

READ: DOE brownouts possible as Luzon grid goes on red alert again

The Department of Energy also expressed hope that the power supply in Luzon grid will stabilize in the coming days as some currently offline power plants will resume operations this week. – Robie de Guzman (with details from Rosalie Coz)

Tags: , , , , ,